Chinese Hops Bonanza.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was it Einstein who said Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Makes you wonder.
M

I was going to have a go last year, but it pissed me off that the prices kept getting jacked up. The landed $$ was a whole lot more than he suggested.

Anyway why bother when you can get three pounds delivered from the US for $16 shipping, and under $20 a pound for most varieties.

I'll stick with a sure thing. but its so great what he gives back to the brewing community :rolleyes:

I bought a kilo of Chinese Saaz on that forum last time and they are head and shoulders above the original buy through AHB - as it happens I have a Chinese lager about 4 days into ferment with Danish yeast at 16 degrees, I'll be bringing samples to BABBs November meeting but should be ready before then for general tasting.

I bought a kilo of Chinese Saaz on that forum last time and they are head and shoulders above the original buy through AHB - as it happens I have a Chinese lager about 4 days into ferment with Danish yeast at 16 degrees, I'll be bringing samples to BABBs November meeting but should be ready before then for general tasting.

Is it the same recipe as this one Bribie ?

OK I've finally bloody finally got a brew through with the Chinese Saaz and can report:

Chinese Rice lager

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 25.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.000
Total Hops (g): 100.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.049 (P): 12.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.81 %
Colour (SRM): 4.1 (EBC): 8.1
Bitterness (IBU): 21.7 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 80
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
4.000 kg Pale Ale Malt (80%)
1.000 kg Rice (20%)

Hop Bill
----------------
50.0 g Saaz Chinese Pellet (3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (2 g/L)
50.0 g Saaz Chinese Pellet (3% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (2 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 65C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 18C with Saflager S-189

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

No complaints, not super aromatic but a lot better than the Chinese Saaz in the bulk buy last year that was done through AHB forum

Nice crisp bitterness without the astringency of last year, and goes very well in the above recipe.

I'll purchase - and recommend - if the buy is going to fire off next year.

Harratau ragger, If you weren't Scottish I'd accuse you of being lacist :angry:

New lecipee is

Chinese Lager
International Strong Lager

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 25.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.500
Total Hops (g): 92.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (P): 2.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.12 %
Colour (SRM): 3.1 (EBC): 6.1
Bitterness (IBU): 27.2 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
5.000 kg Pilsner Barrett Burston (90.91%)
0.500 kg Maltose Syrup Chinese (9.09%)

Hop Bill
----------------
12.0 g Magnum Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
80.0 g Saaz Chinese Pellet (3% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (3.2 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 17C with Wyeast 2042 - Danish Lager

Lecipee Generated with Honourable BlewMate

Disclaimer SWMBO is half Chinese and assures me that the L and R thing are regarded as not offensive, just a bit like Irish Jokes and a bit of fun, like they call us round eyes.

no thanks, I can scrape enough shit off my toilet bowl without having to go to one of these bulk buys...

I'd like free bags of free kilos each with free dollar postage. Ty.

Ps: heard positive comments from brewers in fnq about the second year's Chinese hop buy. Apparently they have been working well for them. Alas, none had been part of the infamous first year's BB.

Again, when can I have my free bags please?

Why did this post appear twice and why am I not able to delete it without AHB hanging for an indefinite amount of time?

It would be fair to say that Graham got screwed over in the first one, like the rest of us, but his reaction precludes him from that excuse.

Anyway, I still have almost 1KG of Chinese Cascade and Chinese Saaz vac sealed in my freezer and I will give these to anyone that wants them (for free).

Why did this post appear twice and why am I not able to delete it without AHB hanging for an indefinite amount of time?

Fixed Mike.
Chinese hops? I still can't get the Yellow Peril taste out my mouth. :lol: :lol: :p

Now my original post is gone but this one still remains.

Forum spaz attack?

I've seen the Chinese hop buy referenced several times and not in a good way.
What was the issue, were the hops old or were they not the promised types or anything?
(just curious )

thanks
Bjorn

I've seen the Chinese hop buy referenced several times and not in a good way.
What was the issue, were the hops old or were they not the promised types or anything?
(just curious )

thanks
Bjorn
from what I have read:
1. OP talked them up heaps
2. orders flocked in due to cheap price
3. people started using them and found they were of terrible quality
4. OP defended them, and accusing the people using them of being bad brewers
5. shit storm

Latest posts

Back