Chilling the wort.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Untrue, isomerisation is temperature dependant, there is even an equation that describes the rate, yes it happens faster hotter but there isn't an off switch at 85oC.

Given that you get more iso-alpha from no chill (bases on experiment, I'm not convinced that it is all that much) wouldn't you get the same effect from just using less bittering hops? Less hops would mean you get all the advantages of a longer boil and save money on hops.

If you want to understand what's happening to alpha acids in the boil Isomerisation.pdf
Mark

Attachments

• Isomerisation.pdf
    108 KB · Views: 75
If worried about wasting water with a immersion chiller. Most people wash there clothes in a washing machine right and if they have a top loader machine they can divert the clean water from the chiller to the top loader and wash there clothes As a top loader can take at least 60 litres for just a normal load. I use lmmersion chiller to chill my wort to ground water temp and store water for washing and bring the rest of temp down in a fridge.

Back