Chillers, Cubes, Parrots And Pilsners

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxt

Geer bod
Reaction score
I have made a couple of brewing resolutions this Chinese new year and one of them got me thinking about my chiller..just how efficient is it? So during today's brew I decided to track the numbers.
Attached is a graph showing the results.
A few points.
I missed the first 3 minutes of temperatures as I had to help one of my kids, but as you can see, the system gets below isomerisation temps quickly.

I put the flame out temp at 100degress, but in reality it is probably much less. When I add the immersion chiller at the 15min mark, I think it lowers the wort temp to below boiling (with only one 2400w element in). I think I am going to need to get both in so that I get a proper boil and the chiller up to temp.

I use a Jamil chiller setup where I recirculate the wort from the bottom tap and then back into the kettle using a pump. The cooling water comes from one of my 10,000L water tanks and is recirculated by another pump back into the tank. The tank water temp was 26.7-26.8.

So..beer chilled and in my little Westinghouse (at a fridge-friendy 27 degrees), and it only put 30mins onto my brew day.

chiller_experiment.jpg

Do you know what the flow rate of water was?

I have made a couple of brewing resolutions this Chinese new year and one of them got me thinking about my chiller..just how efficient is it? So during today's brew I decided to track the numbers.
Attached is a graph showing the results.
A few points.
I missed the first 3 minutes of temperatures as I had to help one of my kids, but as you can see, the system gets below isomerisation temps quickly.

I put the flame out temp at 100degress, but in reality it is probably much less. When I add the immersion chiller at the 15min mark, I think it lowers the wort temp to below boiling (with only one 2400w element in). I think I am going to need to get both in so that I get a proper boil and the chiller up to temp.

I use a Jamil chiller setup where I recirculate the wort from the bottom tap and then back into the kettle using a pump. The cooling water comes from one of my 10,000L water tanks and is recirculated by another pump back into the tank. The tank water temp was 26.7-26.8.

So..beer chilled and in my little Westinghouse (at a fridge-friendy 27 degrees), and it only put 30mins onto my brew day.

No, but it is far less than a normal house tap pressure.

Latest posts

Back