Chiller - Plate v Counterflow

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrikeandReturn

Reaction score
Hi guys I been done before but how about an update, if you were starting again which would you go?

Convoluted counterflow or plate chiller and why? any specific recommendations?

Yeah, plenty already said on other threads, go find.

I really like my linear counter flow. Four rows, great efficiency, hopeless leaking! Character!

I have space, the main benefit is particles, solids withstand.

Plates are nasty when clogged

Some brewers like immersion chillers
Some brewers like counterflow chillers
Some brewers like plate chillers
Some brewers like no chill

There is no real answer

Guess this thread is a wrap!

Thanks for coming all. I had a great time, I know you all did. Please tip your waitress and next week we will be finding out if counter flow chillers perform better than plate chillers in hot climates.

Goodnight Australia.

You could always re-hydrate your chiller.....might get a better result

That would be awesome, but there will be some brewers who wont like it

The question is valid and none of us have posted a link to a discussion thread.

I will tomorrow when im on my computer

Guys I think you missed the point here. This was a post from a newbie who knows its a Ford v Holden debate, but I'm asking the question of anyone who would like to elaborate on which way they went and why?

The question is more about any recommendations anyone has for the current offerings from the sellers and whether anyone has any regrets about what they purchased. $300 odd bucks is a lot to fork out for decent chilling, I'd hate to regret handing over that kind of cash...

For the record I've read a lot of threads and haven't found any specific recommendations or anyone actually talking about which way they went and if they enjoy it. They all seem to degenerate into putting down the other type to prove theirs was right...

That's an interesting point.

I still hold with my parallel counter flow.

I really enjoyed the videos from Paul Wicksteed, Time 4 Another 1 on YouTube. He has past away now which is such a waste. But his approach to chillers is excellent. I highly recommend checking his videos out.

My brewery is a piece of fixed infrastructure, so the parallel worked for me. Highly efficient too. All Bunnings pieces and not too expensive. Super easy to clean and I love copper.

I chose immersion chiller because I could make it myself and for me that was most cost effective. It works great.

I was also scared off by the tales of woe regarding cleaning of plate chillers. I've since been convinced that's not as much of an issue as some might say. However, it does seem like plate chillers are higher maintenance in terms of the cleaning process. Immersion chillers are extremely low maintenance.

I now have a plate chiller too, but Haven't yet used it. I want to use it in tandem with the immersion chiller for getting wort down to lager pitching temps. As yet I'm not sure how I will do that.

I have no experience of counterflow, but friends that use them swear by them.

Sorry, not entirely on topic!

StrikeandReturn said:
For the record I've read a lot of threads and haven't found any specific recommendations or anyone actually talking about which way they went and if they enjoy it. They all seem to degenerate into putting down the other type to prove theirs was right...
There in lies your answer. Both have pluses both minuses. No one is right, no one is wrong. There all achieve the same thing just in a different way.

Well, then let's set aside that criteria element then.

OP can then work with the DIY criteria. If he has a penchant for discovery then nothing yields more satisfaction points that a counter flow build!

Although, building a plate chiller from scratch, by hand would be the ultimate in kudos....

But a counter flow is very satisfying and effiecient

NOTE... The hardest bit about a counter flow chiller is getting the pipe and fitting sizes correct and being able to stop it spraying water everywhere

Latest posts

Back