Chiller - Plate v Counterflow

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tugger said:
I have a counter flow and a plate chiller but I use my old immersion chiller every time now.
I have found I get more consistent bitterness with large hop bills using the immersion chiller.
Long slow transfers from 80c to 25 seem to give me inconsistent bitterness.
Why not recirc with your CFC chillers until you are down to 50 or so?

I do this, then let it sit for 10 minutes and then pass it through once more into the fermenter

The hop filter blocks up and then it takes forever.
Then you say get a hop spider.
Then I say I like my hops loose.

As a Braumeister user, I've been satisfied with turning on the pump for recirculation and sticking the IC in.

TUgger did you find a hop spider diminished the hop utilisation or is there another reason you like your hops loose? (like I like my women...giggidy)

It was hop utilisation.
I found the hop flavour and aroma were less than loose.
As said socked hops have a lower sperm count.
I also think it's because of the aeration, I don't have an oxygen setup but since I started doing this my beers finish well.

tugger said:
I have a counter flow and a plate chiller but I use my old immersion chiller every time now.
I have found I get more consistent bitterness with large hop bills using the immersion chiller.
Long slow transfers from 80c to 25 seem to give me inconsistent bitterness.
Mmmmm....I was just thinking about this..

Makes me think back to when No Chill was first mentioned...

My IC chiller made different beer to no chill, and that had to do with how fast I could chill the total wort volume ( oh... the days of being a rebel, and falling into bed with those no chill charlatans )

Now with a plate chiller you are not chilling the whole volume, just what is passing thru, so the longer it takes to chill a kettle, the longer the wort is still hot and isomerising the hops

My IM could knock 15-20*c off very quickly in the kettle......Its that last 10*c that does your head in

Back