Chemclean vs PBW

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ckilner

Reaction score
Until recently I always used PBW and was happy with it. The suppliers in the UK seem to have dumped PBW in favour of Chemclean so I had to switch to that. It's advertised as a direct replacement to PBW but when I CIP my SS Brewtech Unitank I end up with a room full of suds which takes 20+ rinses to get rid of.
Anyone else have this problem? Is Chemclean really a replacement for PBW?
Cheers

Until recently I always used PBW and was happy with it. The suppliers in the UK seem to have dumped PBW in favour of Chemclean so I had to switch to that. It's advertised as a direct replacement to PBW but when I CIP my SS Brewtech Unitank I end up with a room full of suds which takes 20+ rinses to get rid of.
Anyone else have this problem? Is Chemclean really a replacement for PBW?
Cheers
To be honest I had never heard of it until I looked it up, doesn't sound much different to PBW, I use sodium perborate for my alkaline clean, rinsing is necessary otherwise they leave a film, but only rinsed the once.

Just did a bit of a search, the only product I can find is ChemClean made by Chemisphere.
It doesn't show up on the Chemisphere website and a I cant find a spec sheet or MSDS so there isn't much info on what's in it.
If you are located in the UK, it probably isn't going to be much help but here in Australia you are required to provide a MSDS to anyone who asks for one, it will usually will tell you what's in a preparation - you could ask the maker.
There are a couple of PBW clone products, my local has BBW and I know the chemist who formulates it (he's an home brewers as well as having a PhD in Chemistry, so ya it works), there are a couple of others around to so you might be well advised to do a bit more digging if you aren't happy with the ChemClean.
Mark

Latest posts

Back