Check This Out! Freezer Scored Today!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignath

"Grains don't grow up to be chips, son"
Reaction score
I need to tell someone, i'm one hell of a happy camper.

Had a gig today at the local basketball stadium. Whilst i was there, i noticed this chest freezer sitting outside the stadium up against the building in the carpark.

It was unplugged, has a little bit of surface rust on the exterior of the lid, and there's some crap floating around on the inside. This is all cosmetic, and can be fixed up at pretty much zero cost.

Thought to myself, might have a chat with the people in the canteen about it.....

ME: "G'day, just noticed that chest freezer you've got outside - what's the go with it?"
CANTEEN LADY: "hmm, not sure, i'll just ask (insert generic canteen lady #2 name here)..."
CANTEEN LADY #2: "you mean the one outside in the carpark?"
ME: "yeah, that's the one".
CANTEEN LADY #2: "we're throwing it out. Doesn't work. The local tip want $50 from us to dump it. Why, do you want it?"
ME: "not sure, i'm happy to see if i can get it working though".....
CANTEEN LADY #2: "well, you'll save us $50 if you put it in your ute"....
ME: "cool, i'll get one of the other guys to help my lift it up".......Thanks for that!

Bottom line, the freezer is 500lt capacity according to the label on the side. Can't hurt to try it out and if it doesn't work, or i can't get it fixed cheaply, i'll throw it out for hard rubbish collection...

Got it home, unloaded it from the back of my ute (it only just fit with the tailgate up), plugged it in.

"whirrrr, whirrrr, constant whirr" sound coming from compressor area. Sweet, things are looking okay.

Went out to get dinner for me and Mrs Big Nath. Was gone 20mins. Came back, still making noise, lifted lid, definitely getting cold in there. Wicked, looks like this might work out for me.

It's now been switched on for over 2 hours and the temp on my controller is giving me 1deg! Which i programmed. Lifted the lid, shit, that's getting real cold! Condensation marks down the side where the coolant lines are, and the edge is developing a definitely frosty feeling.

Here's some shots of it. It'll hold 11 kegs comfortably. Four wide front and back, and three in between rows!

It needs a coat of paint on the lid, need to build a collar, and clean out the food stuffs from the inside, give it a good dose of sanitary shit, and i'm good to go.

My current keezer is a 140lt jobbie that only holds 3 kegs, and that's getting really tight too. Now i can fit all my kegs in the one unit, (i only have six kegs at the moment) and at the same time i can use the extra space to cold condition my fermenters!

Fucken' good score me thinks!

outside shot:

DSCF4890.JPG

Well done bloke !!
It's a special moment when those sorts of things line up :icon_chickcheers:

another interior shot:

DSCF4893.JPG

11 kegs nice and efficiently. Sweet

yeah, but now i gotta go and get some more kegs!

Jeezus, we spend some money on our "cheap beer" hobby don't we???

EDIT: better get some more taps too i 'spose....

yeah, but now i gotta go and get some more kegs!

Jeezus, we spend some money on our "cheap beer" hobby don't we???

EDIT: better get some more taps too i 'spose....

Just remember to remind Mrs Big Nath about the money you saved on the freezer.

awesome work big nath! now you just need 20 more kegs!

Why do you need a collar? 11 kegs not enough - want some on the hump as well? Or is it just for ease of installation of all those taps? Nice score.

very nice nath. you could fit 2 more on the hump :p spork the collars do 2 things as you say. Give it more height so you can fit the kegs and fittings in and prob the biggest is you can run you taps, lines and wires threw them without destroying the unit. You can mount a font onto the top of the lid but the cost of a font to take 6 taps far out weighs the $50 at the most you spent on the collar.

very nice nath. you could fit 2 more on the hump :p

Yeah i thought about that too, in reality the ******* will hold 14 kegs, but i like the idea of only using half its capacity dedicated for kegs, and the rest for yeast, hops, bottled stock storage, and also the ability to condition fermenters in it too. Reckon i can get rid of two fridges plus my small keezer and just run this unit. Should shave some off my power bill!!

Im gonna go the collar first so i can get it up and running before christmas, and then if i want to go the font route, i'll start saving my coins.

Great score Nath, but keep in mind that they said it wasnt working, to me that means it wasnt freezing, getting to 1 deg for you is good
but if it is on its way out you may only get a few weeks out of it.
I would keep an eye on it for about a month to see it doesnt change its cooling capacity. Chances are its leaking gas and its only a
matter of time before its totally kaput...a lot of cost and effort to convert if it does die.

Hoping for you mate they just used the doesnt work excuse to get a new one.

I think, morally, you should take the freezer back to the canteen ladies and show them how to work it properly. That's what I'd do.

yeah right

:rolleyes:

It fits 11 kegs!? Jesus, thats wicked. Well done!

It fits 11 kegs!? Jesus, thats wicked. Well done!

It'll actually hold 14 if i use the hump, but i like the idea of having some bottles in there too. And the wire basket it came with, is now storing my hops and yeasts too!

It's an all in one solution!

I reckon 8 kegs, a couple of boxes of my bottled stock, plus yeasts, and hop storage all in the one unit.

Gonna start on the collar tonight with a bit of luck.

I cant believe my luck with this score.....it only switches on maybe 6 times a day, and only for a handful of minutes at a time. Is holding temperature wonderfully well, and i reckon very efficiently too.

Hey BigNath, Sorry for bringing up old thread, how did ur 500lt keezer end up, is it still working, and how many kegs u end up with, great score with finding something so big and free.

Latest posts

Back