Cheap Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is what I'm trying to avoid Batz. If they only have the racetrack lid ones I'll try and find some elsewhere.
And they aren't selling any 3 gal ones on eBay at the moment :(

Doc

Edit: Just found the link to order the non-race track lid ones. I wonder if I order 3 they might ship me 4 :p

Hi Doc,

You can select just the "non" racetrack lid ones from Brewersdiscount for $32.50US (same as ebay price). They also have the option to choose the racetrack lid ones for a cheaper price ($25ishUS I think). That's why I didn't order off the c&c guy (ebay), I didn't want those racetrack lids either-full stop. I also said in the comments section of the order form on the BD website when placing my order that "if they couldn't supply "non" racetrack lids kegs then I didn't want to go through with the order".

So I have oval lidded ones coming. There isn't too much of a price saving getting a box of 4 instead of only three anyway. Only that you end up with only 3 instead of 4. Hope it helps.

Cheers, Justin

I ordered 4 of the 3 gal kegs in December :p , sent a few emails with no replies for weeks. Finally i got an email in early Jan saying they had been sent but not charged because their credit card system modem wasnt working. Still no sign of the kegs yet :( and no charge to my CC.......

Ok
Make sure you state you do not want race track lids , if you read his post in the forum you will see they now send out race track lid types even if you order the non-race track lids.
My last order , I orders 4 non-race track lids but recieved race track lids , I sold all of those , the handle on the keg is s/steel and not rubber as well , easy to pick.
Do a search here as he did post a thread on this
Good luck

Batz

Fingers crossed mine aren't racetrack then. I did specifically ask for not racetracks. Hope they arrive soon. I want to play with them.

I plan to use them to take beer home for my old man. I'm getting sick of bottling up a bunch of bottles to take home for him so I'm going to set up a sodastream CO2 system and picnic faucet for him to have 3G kegs in his fridge. Then I'll just fill a 3G to take home with me each time I go and swap it with the hopefully empty one. Should beat bottling.

Cheers, JD

I must have been lucky, I didn't specify either lid, and ended up with all 4 oval lids.

What's the big about race track lids?

Don't get me wrong here the race track lid ones are cool as well.

Just not as cool as the other ones ;)

Batz

I only have one 3 gallon keg and it has a racetrack lid.
This makes me a nerd, no?

What is so bad about racetrack lids?

If it seals okay it's all good.

C&B
TDA

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
This makes me a nerd, no?
I knew this would happen , see my post above

Hows that yeast going TDA? any luck with it?

Batz

Yeah, racetracks are fine if they seal and everything is good one them, but all my other kegs are Cornealius and Spartenburg oval lids, of which I have a wide range of parts for them-posts, poppets, pressure relief valves, orings etc. I just want to stick to the one sort of keg.

Parts are dear enough and hard enough to get for these ones let alone trying to track down parts for the racetrack lid ones. I got all my parts from the states and saved myself a small fortune by not buying the parts here in australia (it's scary). However I haven't seen any parts available for the racetrack ones on US sites (kegsystems.com.au have them but I shudder at the price) so when buying sight unseen kegs I really want the ones I know I can fix if somethings amiss.

That's all.

Cheers, Justin

Hi All,

I ordered 3 10 litre kegs from BD on the 7/12/04 and got them yesterday.
Pleased with that except:
I also ordered 2 faucets, or beer taps as we may call them, to fit the outlet side of the keg and they came without the threaded disconnects so at the moment I am
P O'ffed.
However:
I emailed them and they said that they were sending them with some 20 litre kegs that I ordered at the same time.
Cant see why they didnt send it all together, even if it was two packages.
Anyway, I will see what happens and report on this topic as the mystery unfolds.

Cheers

Found this while researching this morning on race track lids

In re-reading your post I noticed that you mention that some of the
kegs have small plastic rings under the poppets. Uh oh! Sounds like B3
unloaded some "racetrack" kegs on you. These are ancient kegs where the
lids are square with rounded corners (like a racetrack) as opposed to
the newer (and much better) models which have oval lids. Racetrack kegs
IMHO are junk. Occasionally when we buy entire lots of used kegs from
soda bottling companies we get stuck with a few racetrack kegs that
were mixed in with the good kegs. I think about all they're worth is
what you can get for them as scrap value. I will not in good conscious
sell them. Getting the proper parts for these kegs now days is just
about impossible. I've purchased numerous types of those plastic spacer
rings and they are NEVER the right size (always too tall). Compared to
the newer models they are problematic (which is why they were replaced
by the newer models). Removing the down tubes from the plastic rings is
always fun, usually involving several minutes of prying up on them and
cursing. Plus I've encountered different diameter down tubes (no
replacements available) and other non-standard or at least unavailable
parts on these kegs. It's always a surprise (rarely a good one) when
you open one of these suckers up. Hopefully they didn't sell you all
racetrack kegs. My advice would be to ditch the racetrack kegs
(hopefully you didn't pay too much for them) unless you are up for a
challenge and don't mind endless tinkering around with them. Wouldn't
you rather be brewing? If you are having trouble with the oval lid kegs
then read on. . . .

From HBD here

Damn it has made me weary of ordering.

Doc

I have had 6 X 18L race track Firestone kegs for nearly 6 years now and haven't had a problem yet! so i don't know what all the fuss is about.
I haven't needed any parts yet so whether that becomes a problem later who knows.

Hoops said:
I have had 6 X 18L race track Firestone kegs for nearly 6 years now and haven't had a problem yet! so i don't know what all the fuss is about.
I haven't needed any parts yet so whether that becomes a problem later who knows.
Good to know Hoops.

Maybe I should merge this topic with the Homebrewing Myths topic :lol:

Doc

Batz said:
I orders 4 non-race track lids but recieved race track lids , I sold all of those , the handle on the keg is s/steel and not rubber as well , easy to pick.
H Batz
This is not always the case. I've got a couple of the SS handle 3 gallon kegs and they definitely have oval lids.

TDA
Have a closer look at your keg, and I'm sure you will find it's oval. These were ordered through Brewers Discount and paid for at the $32.50 rate.

Cheers
MAH

Jase said:
I ordered three kegs from BD also, they sent and billed me for four, on 14 December. We told 4-6 weeks. Nothing as of this morning. Can't wait till they turn up, so I can brew again.

Cheers,
Jase

Got home this arvo, to find four kegs :D :D :lol: sitting on the doorstep, for the world to see :unsure: :eek: (Bloody OZ Post). The kegs look in top nick. Couldn't be happier. Worked out to be approx $57 AUD per keg.

Cheers,
Jase

Jase said:
Jase said:
I ordered three kegs from BD also, they sent and billed me for four, on 14 December. We told 4-6 weeks. Nothing as of this morning. Can't wait till they turn up, so I can brew again.

Cheers,
Jase

Got home this arvo, to find four kegs still on the doorstep :D :D :lol: , for the world to see :unsure: :eek: (Bloody OZ Post). The kegs look in top nick. Couldn't be happier. Worked out to be approx $57 AUD per keg.

Cheers,
Jase
Jase, so you ordered your kegs on the 14th of december from brewers discount and you received them today?

I put an order in on the 16th of december.....

I can hardly wait, I was expecting another month still!!!!

sluggerdog said:
Jase, so you ordered your kegs on the 14th of december from brewers discount and you received them today?

I put an order in on the 16th of december.....

I can hardly wait, I was expecting another month still!!!!

Sure did. Ordered 14/12, shipped 17/12. Delivered today. Hope you get them tomorrow.

Sounds good thanks.

Mine were ordered on the 16th and shipped on the 21st so I probably will have to wait until next week to get them.. still is great news though!

I've ordered 4 x 19L & 4 x 10L.... Any day now hopefully :D

Latest posts

Back