Cheap Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi There,

I emailed Terry @ Brewers Discount questioing why the ebay site can offer the kegs cheaper, and can ship four kegs in one box, if they are affiliated with BD. This was his reply:

"We are the same company. .........if the post office at Diamond Springs allows the box which is over sized to go through, it is possible to send up to four in one box and save the money. No other post office allows the boxes to go through their counters. ........ The kegs which Matt sells are not rebuilt, you are getting rebuilt kegs, new gaskets and valves. I call Matt and he can ship you the kegs but they will not totally checked."

Interesting reply. I thought GMK received his kegs with seal kits, or were they purchased seperately?

Cheers,
Jase

mine came with seal kits for each keg in a seperate bag.

The kegs still had original seals etc....looked in good nick

so - only need to use the reseal kits if anything fails.

Hey guys, If I can get an order of 20 kegs I am willing to sell them for $50 each.
These kegs are in good nick too.
cheers
Darren

Hat to be anal but US gallons = 3.78 litres. Just in case you needed to do some precise calcs.

tdh

The bulk keg order that you get from the US iwill probably not to work out that much cheaper and will be a PITA to organise. You would need a container or part of a container for the pallet. At the US end they would probably arrange transport of the pallet to and from the port. At the Australian end you would have to arrange and pay for the unloading of the container, and the transport to wherever. Next decision would be who's house is big enough to temporarily store a pallet of kegs, and who has the time to arrange the distribution of the kegs.

That's the PITA aspect, plus some costs, but then you have to factor in the import costs. You will definitely need a customs broker, which is about $150 for their services. Then you need to factor in import duty and GST. Import duty on sealable SS kegs is 5%. So add 5% to the cost of the kegs. Then take this price add the transport cost add another 10% for the GST. So unless it works out to be about 20% cheaper to buy in bulk and ship in bulk, you'll be no better off than individual purchases through the mail.

Then there is the unknown question of quarantine. They can pull your shipment out for special attention. If you're lucky they'll let it pass no worries. If they think the kegs need cleaning before clearing, then add on more dollars.

If you can get them to drop their price by about 20% or more then you'll be doing well. They have enough people buying their stock at the prices they're asking, so they don't need to further discount (remember they're already are the cheapest retailer).

If you can do it through these guys, good luck, but my suggestion is you would need to go to one source back to get the deal you need to come out in front.

Cheers
MAH

Are there any problems getting fittings etc for the 3 gallon US kegs here in Aust?

Theres a hell of a situation on the docks in LA and it can take a very long time to get a container out of there, we've been having to send stuff from the US via Korea to get it in a reasonable ammount of time

IMG_0230.jpg

ausdb said:
JasonY lets maybe look a westcoat buy and an east coast buy (depending on how many kegs there are actually on a pallet and what the cost is?
Sounds good but in all honesty I would only want a couple of these as I already have 5 x 5gal kegs and these would be used for parties and slightly bigger batches. I reckon there would be a lot of kegs on a pallet! Still if there is enough interest :)

Sent an email off the week before last to Pepsi Equip re the pallet pf 5 gal kegs. Did not get a reply. I think his post to the site was probably his reply as I referenced the site in my email.

I think MAH is right on this one. You'd have to get a pretty hefty disouint on teh kegs to compsate for having to negotiate customs and pay duty and GST. Would have been interesting to see what a pallet cost though.

4 in a box for about $50 aussie is probably the best deal - and pretty easy. He's almost family now that he's posted to teh site so hopefully will look after us. I wonder if we can hit him up for a aussiehomebrewer discount???

Cheers

got the charge through for my four 3 gallon kegs that I odered, works out to $61 each.

There's one on Ebay currently at $151, amazing what people will bid on and pay.

hope he still has some 3 gal ones left, im saving some buck, and hope to order in the next two weeks.

Anyone got a credit card and willing to help me out. I dont beleive in them, but if i could DD cash to someone, and they could pay with their CC and just have them shipped to me.

Cheers

These days it is nearly too hard to live without a credit card, you should look into atleast a debt visa (a credit card 4 your money) you could use this to buy from brewers discount :)

you could open a paypal account and deposit money into it, i they accept Aussie bank accounts now.

Just out of interest. I ordered 4 kegs from Matt at Pepsi Equip, (see his posts earlier in thread) via his ebay listing. Looks like they were posted teh day I ordered and paid (10th Nov) and they turned up yesterday - about 11 weeks delivery. They were well packed and arrived in good shape. I paid using Paypal. No problems. From memory it worked out a tad under $50 a keg.

Sorry - got my dates mixed up. :rolleyes: I ordered them early Dec so delivery more like 8 - 9 weeks.

Just had my four 2.5 gallon kegs arrive from the US. 6 weeks from payment to delivery, and they are awesome. Going to buy another 4 now. A few dents here and there, but clean inside, a good buy!!!

Well I placed my order on the 15/12/04 with Brewersdiscount for 3, they weren't actually shipped until the 21/12/04 and thats when my credit card was actually charged. Kind of lucky though with the lag because I had a stuff up from a previous order (missing items) and they had time to include the correction in the keg order. Anyway, mine still haven't arrived yet. Hope they come soon :rolleyes:.

Cheers, Justin

I ordered three kegs from BD also, they sent and billed me for four, on 14 December. We told 4-6 weeks. Nothing as of this morning. Can't wait till they turn up, so I can brew again.

Cheers,
Jase

Ooooo...I hope they accidentally put four in my box but only charged me for three :rolleyes: B)

I sent an email on Sunday to them using the address in this topic to order some 3 gallon kegs.
No reply email yet :(

Doc

Doc
Forget emailing them , they hardly ever answer , just order.
I have ordered lots from them and been very happy , I now own six three gallon kegs , and they are the nice ones , not the race track lids they are sending out now.

Batz

Latest posts

Back