Cell count us-05

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spookhud

Reaction score
What's the viable cell count of us-05 have read conflicting information from 65 billion to 200 billion

Check the US-05 PDF from the website, pretty sure it is the 6 billion type range...

<edit>

Yep, just checked, 6 billion/g so for 11gm packet 66 billion cells

So my 45l batch of 1.064 wort needs 526 billion cells , 8 packets of us-05 have I missed something that sounds nuts

2-3 packs of fresh, rehydrated as per instructions would see you right. 8 packets is indeed nuts.

When I used dried, I'd happily use one, unrehydrated pack in 20 L of 1050 and I'll say I never had a problem but I know that is about as scientific as a hatbox.

I always thought that it was 20 billion cells per gram but the website does say 6 billion.

You sure the website doesnt say minimum 6b per gram?

manticle said:
2-3 packs of fresh, rehydrated as per instructions would see you right. 8 packets is indeed nuts.

When I used dried, I'd happily use one, unrehydrated pack in 20 L of 1050 and I'll say I never had a problem but I know that is about as scientific as a hatbox.
Manticle is correct, 3 packets rehydrated would be good, a little under, but should be fine. The best calculator to use is http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/ as it allows you to enter the cell density of dry yeast as part of the calculation.

So I put my requirements into Brewers friend 45litres of 1064 wort comes back the same 88g 1 billion under required amount 8 packets??? I'm looking at this because I've started using liquid yeast with starters and the correct cell count and I now need almost twice the head space to what I needed with rehydrated dry and want to know can I achieve this with the dry cheaper is it all about the cell count

Spookhud said:
So I put my requirements into Brewers friend 45litres of 1064 wort comes back the same 88g 1 billion under required amount 8 packets??? I'm looking at this because I've started using liquid yeast with starters and the correct cell count and I now need almost twice the head space to what I needed with rehydrated dry and want to know can I achieve this with the dry cheaper is it all about the cell count
Yeastcalc.co says you'd need 700 billion cells. You've got a 2.25x batch, at high OG. So yeah, 10-packs. That's pretty insane.

Up to you if you chose to go with the recommendations or not. 4 x fresh packs, hydrated, would probably get your job done.

Mr Malty says 2.6 22.5g packets of dry yeast....

Edit: Screwtop and I apparently think alike.... should have refreshed the window before posting!!

fraser_john said:
Check the US-05 PDF from the website, pretty sure it is the 6 billion type range...

<edit>

Yep, just checked, 6 billion/g so for 11gm packet 66 billion cells
danestead said:
You sure the website doesnt say minimum 6b per gram?
Yeah, the spec sheet says greater than 6 billion cells per gram. How much greater than is much debated as indicated by the conflicting info mentioned in the OP.

Jan this year I used 1 pack US05 rehydrated on 20l 1.058 OG amber ale fermented at 18 deg C. No extra aeration except for dribbling wort to fermentor. FG 1.012 after 2 weeks.
3 packs for 45l higher OG sounds ok

Matplat said:
Mr Malty says 2.6 22.5g packets of dry yeast....

Edit: Screwtop and I apparently think alike.... should have refreshed the window before posting!!
Isn't US05 in an 11g sachet?

Spiesy said:
Isn't US05 in an 11g sachet?
Probably a typo seeing as Mr. Malty gives the number of 11.5 g packs needed. Fermentis come in 11.5 g packs but from memory Danstar (Lallemand) come in 11 g packs.

Latest posts

Back