Castle Hill Show Brewing Competition 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well there you go .............. been AG for 12years now and this is my first comp entry and it's still sitting at Country Brewer casula.
I'll bite my tongue and put on a happy face.

:angry:

lagers

I'm not the judge in question but I'd happily take some off your hands :chug:
(that emoticon should be sipping very tenderly though given the pH of that beast you made)

Your more than welcome to come round & grab some. Bring a keg or some bottles to fill with the cpbf. same goes to anyone else that took a fancy to it... Ive still got another 25lt in a cube conditioning that I brewed off the back of this batch, Its probably even more sour! :lol:

PM me for details if you want to take up the offer.

Well there you go .............. been AG for 12years now and this is my first comp entry and it's still sitting at Country Brewer casula.
I'll bite my tongue and put on a happy face.

:angry:

lagers

Feel your pain Lagers. I tweaked a few things that effected my scores at the states, put in some extra effort and I was really looking forward to this comp.

Do me a favour, if you go and pick your beer up can you grab mine too :p

Kabooby ;)

Feel your pain Lagers. I tweaked a few things that effected my scores at the states, put in some extra effort and I was really looking forward to this comp.

Do me a favour, if you go and pick your beer up can you grab mine too :p

Kabooby ;)

Sure Kabooby , i'll see if i can swing by this afternoon.

Sure Kabooby , i'll see if i can swing by this afternoon.

Your entires were sent to Girraween for pick up ... that never happened.

I will get them back to Casula for you by Thursday so you can pick them up.

Damien (and others)

I'll be contacting CB tomorrow about this and will let you know when I know. :(

Nobody really cares if someone turns around and says ... "Sorry guys, we stuffed up. Because of a mix up the entries weren't picked up" ... no harm done!

BUT ... don't make out that you didn't know about it!

Our sponsorship dollars don't really seem that well spent when it is inferred that "Country Brewer is living the high life on someone's $5 entry fee.

Nobody really cares if someone turns around and says ... "Sorry guys, we stuffed up. Because of a mix up the entries weren't picked up" ... no harm done!

Our sponsorship dollars don't really seem that well spent when it is inferred that "Country Brewer is living the high life on someone's $5 entry fee.

Armstrong,

I've written this response because I care. Because Stuart cares. Because Mike, Gav, Craig and others care.

As Stuart stated up front, there was an administrative stuffup which caused this issue. He has never said he didn't know about it, just it was too late to pick up those entries when he received your email advice.

In hindsight, there are several things that could have been done that would have made it possible to pick them up in time for the comp. Unfortunately, what happened has happened & none of us can change that. None of us have made excuses. The organisers have learnt from this and will be modifying how we organise/run other comps in future.

I believe the comment about the entry fee was intended as a satirical comment by an entrant and not as an insult to you or your organisation & outlets. The inference you make is certainly not felt by the comp organisers. Your support for this and other events IS greatly appreciated - thanks. :beer: I hope you and your organisation continue your valuable support for competitions such as this in future as without it, there would be less events like this comp.

Kabooby, Lagers, Damian and anyone else affected, everyone involved in arranging this comp is extremely sorry and embarrased that this occurred. Again our apologies.

Philip Crossley
AKA Crozdog

Armstrong im sorry if i caused offence with my comments. As Crozdog inferred they were toung in cheek. I hope this incident does not deter you or others from supporting this great hobby.

TYVM Damian

Armstrong im sorry if i caused offence with my comments. As Crozdog inferred they were toung in cheek. I hope this incident does not deter you or others from supporting this great hobby.

TYVM Damian

Dont stress dude ... I know your comments were in jest ... it was the post that said they will ring us and let everyone know when they know which annoyed me. At that stage, they already knew and they should have just come clean then ... we all make mistakes. As it stood, it looked like TCB Casula was responsible for the entries not being passed on, and that was not acceptable.

We have always supported those who asked and have done for 10 years, but after the yelling match I just had on the phone ... we'll see.

Dont stress dude ... I know your comments were in jest ... it was the post that said they will ring us and let everyone know when they know which annoyed me. At that stage, they already knew and they should have just come clean then ... we all make mistakes. As it stood, it looked like TCB Casula was responsible for the entries not being passed on, and that was not acceptable.

We have always supported those who asked and have done for 10 years, but after the yelling match I just had on the phone ... we'll see.

If you had read the other post I made you would have seen that I had already come clean. I just was not sure how we were going to proceed and wanted to talk to you before that. I didn't know that the beers had been taken from Casula to Girraween.

However, that's long gone now. Will be posting up the PDFs without the mention to the Country Brewer as a sponsor tonight. <_<

Hi all,

1st post (long time lurker)

Was stoked to get second place for my schwarzbier! I've only been doing AG for a year, and my second ever comp!

Thought I'd post my recipe for anyone who's interested:

Weyermann German Pils 58%
Weyermann Munich II 33%
Carafa Special II 4%
Caraaroma 2%
Melanoidin 2%
Pale Chocolate 1%

25gm Hallertauer, 12gm Northern Brewer and 15gm Tettnang @ 60min
15gm Hallertauer @ 15min

Mashed at 65C with a 15min mashout at 76C.

2 packs S-189 swiss lager yeast, fermented at 10C

29.5 IBUs, 1.052 OG, 1.013 FG

Thanks to all who helped run the comp, and thanks to all on this site who have posted recipes and useful info.

If you had read the other post I made you would have seen that I had already come clean. I just was not sure how we were going to proceed and wanted to talk to you before that. I didn't know that the beers had been taken from Casula to Girraween.

However, that's long gone now. Will be posting up the PDFs without the mention to the Country Brewer as a sponsor tonight. <_<

Someone from the comp called Country Brewer Casula and asked if there were any entries and I did say that they were being delivered to Girraween. That aside, No one came to Casula to pick up entries anyway.

For those who dropped entries off at Country Brewer Casula that were not picked up by the competition organisers, I have received them back today.

Let me know if you want to pick them up or if I can assist with any other arrangements.

Craig.
Country Brewer Casula

OKeeeey,

Here's the smoked Porter, 20% Rauch provides a feel of smokiness (a step up from a "hint"), mixture of spec malts provides the complexity.

recipe vol 16.00 L
post boil vol 16.00 L
OG 1.065
IBU 40
Colour 76 EBC
BU:GU 0.62
pre boil vol 33.00 L
BG 1.031
extract 2.68 kg
grain mass 4.65 kg

Joe White Ale 2.70 kg 313 HWE mash 4 EBC
Weyermann Rauch 0.90 kg 313 HWE mash 5 EBC
Joe White Munich 0.25 kg 321 HWE mash 22 EBC
Joe White Light Crystal 0.30 kg 286 HWE mash 140 EBC
Weyerman CaraMun I 0.30 kg 290 HWE mash 90 EBC
Joe White Roasted (Black) 0.05 kg 282 HWE mash 1400 EBC
Joe White Chocolate 0.15 kg 290 HWE mash 750 EBC

Other Ingredients
name quantity notes
CaSO4 1.0 g None
NAHCO3 5.0 g None
CaCO3 5.0 g None
WLP002 English Ale

Mash Schedule
start temp grain mass start water water addition target temp strike temp water/grain to kettle time min
15 C 4.65 kg 0.00 L 9.00 L 68 C 82 C 1.94 L/kg 0.00 L 60
68 C 4.65 kg 9.00 L 12.00 L 74 C 80 C 4.52 L/kg 15.00 L 60
74 C 4.65 kg 6.00 L 17.00 L 74 C 74 C 4.95 L/kg 18.00 L 60

Hops
name form AA Qty time IBU
Kent Golding (UK) pellet 4.7% 20.0 g 60 20.0
Willamette pellet 4.9% 15.0 g 30 12.0
Willamette pellet 4.9% 15.0 g 15 7.8
Willamette pellet 4.9% 10.0 g 0 0.0
Kent Golding (UK) pellet 4.7% 10.0 g 0 0.0

I just wanted to praise the sponsors who have stepped into the breach and agreed to provide prizes for the category winners.

The first place winners will now receive $50 vouchers from Dave at Dave's Home Brew and from Pat at Absolute Home Brew. :super:

Second and third place winners will receive yeasts from Proculture. :super:

Thanks to all these three for their kind support of the competition. :beer:

I believe most or all of the score sheets were posted on Tuesday so you should be receiving them soon.

I just wanted to praise the sponsors who have stepped into the breach and agreed to provide prizes for the category winners.

The first place winners will now receive $50 vouchers from Dave at Dave's Home Brew and from Pat at Absolute Home Brew. :super:

I believe most or all of the score sheets were posted on Tuesday so you should be receiving them soon.
Great news Stu.
$50 voucher means I get my money back. :lol:

Great to hear!

Can we get a heads up when yeast is expected to be shipped? Will help to make sure it gets chucked in the fridge when it arrives.

Will let you know, killerRx4. Crozdog is going to post them out, but I'm sure he won't send them now till after the weekend. He has got some TechniIce so hopefully the yeast can stay fairly cool. Looking at the forecast for next week though, maybe we're crazy to send it then. :unsure:

looking forward to reading my sheets so i can modify my beer and become a better brewer.
see you both on sunday if not saturday.

Just wondering if anyone had received their scoresheets as yet? As I havnt?? Any news? Did I put down the correct address?

Latest posts

Back