Castle Hill Show Brewing Competition 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
Inner Sydney Brewers are pleased to announce that the Castle Hill and Hills District Agricultural Society Homebrewing Competition will be run this year at the showgrounds on 21st and 22nd November. The competition will be run by ISB club along with the Castle Hill Show society. There will a number of great prizes including a day brewing at Murrays Brewing, a brew day at St. Peters brewery, yeast prizes from Proculture Yeast Supplies and prizes from Country Brewer, Dave's Home Brew and Absolute Homebrew.

We're running the competition along BJCP lines, mostly following the AABC style guidelines, along with the BJCP ones for ciders and meads (yes, we are going to include these as well). The cut off date for entries is 7th November at various home brew shops around Sydney, or by post by 13th November or directly to the show itself by 14th November. Entries are $5 per beer/cider/mead. Please note that all entries MUST fill out the indemnity form along with the entry form.

Of course, we'll need lots of help with this so any interested judges/stewards please PM me or email me at the address in the comp info.

Full details are in the attached document, but if anything is mysterious or seems wrong please post here or contact me by PM or email. Good luck to all entrants.

Competition information. View attachment Castle_Hill_Show_Homebrewing_Competition_2009.pdf

Bumped for the (late) evening crowd. :icon_cheers:

Good day Stu
Is it one entry maximum per sub class or some restriction per class?

Sweet! Been looking forward to this.
Thought i'd missed out whilst overseas!

Good luck with running the comp, Stu & co.
And I'll try to enter my beers in the right styles this time round! :D

Woot. Second comp!

Hope to have a few brews ready for entry by then....

Good day Stu
Is it one entry maximum per sub class or some restriction per class?

Good question, Barry. In fact, such a good question I don't have an answer for you yet. Will get the organising committees heads together and get back to you soon.

Were you thinking of entering two beers for all of the sub-classes then? :lol:

Excellent!! Thanks to the ISB guys for taking on this comp and i hope it all runs smoothly for you.
I hope I can enter more than 1 beer this year!! And Muggus i hope you don't eneter that Styrian Bitter as i want to enter that one as well :p

Probably a stupid question, if entering a mead do you really have to supply a minimum of 500ml?

Cheers
DK

Probably a stupid question, if entering a mead do you really have to supply a minimum of 500ml?

Cheers
DK

Good Question - I've got a few sweet meads I'd like to enter - I think even Odin would have trouble drinking more than 100ML a session.

Of course not two for all sub classes :D . I better make it a real good one. I wont enter the 15/50 weizen, it must have been the bottle with dead rat in it. :lol:

Cheers
DK

Not a stupid question at all. I think that it'd be good if you do. I'd say we'd still judge it if you only send a smaller bottle, but the problem is that it's hard to make sure you pour a clean sample which would be enough for three judges in that case. Pouring enough so that the judges can judge the aroma well without getting any yeast sediment in there might be tricky with a 330ml bottle IMO.

Not a stupid question at all. I think that it'd be good if you do. I'd say we'd still judge it if you only send a smaller bottle, but the problem is that it's hard to make sure you pour a clean sample which would be enough for three judges in that case. Pouring enough so that the judges can judge the aroma well without getting any yeast sediment in there might be tricky with a 330ml bottle IMO.

Stu, from past comps I guess you'll have a rough idea of how the show might progress. When will the judging take place - Saturday or Sunday or both, AM or PM ? Thinking we might need to use that weekend to do the Xmas Case swap .. maybe kill two birds with one stone ? ... maybe ....

Stu, from past comps I guess you'll have a rough idea of how the show might progress. When will the judging take place - Saturday or Sunday or both, AM or PM ? Thinking we might need to use that weekend to do the Xmas Case swap .. maybe kill two birds with one stone ? ... maybe ....

Will depend on the usual variables Ian, but in previous years it has been AM and PM on Satdy and Sundy. Be surprised if this year is any different.

Am I allowed to say,..... bugger it I will................ the lunch the Show ladies put on for the judges has been worth coming along for on it's own. A definate step up for the usual snag sandwiches.

Am I allowed to say,..... bugger it I will................ the lunch the Show ladies put on for the judges has been worth coming along for on it's own. A definate step up for the usual snag sandwiches.

You mean...you didn't like the snags we had at last year's NSW comp....
sad-smiley-043.gif

Actually, couldn't agree more. Definitely a draw card for me too. :)

Ditto to what Gav said about the times. Would be good if you could make it up for the comp, Ian. Might need to start you judging this time. :)

No No Stu those were fine, the one's down in Bulli though :icon_vomit: only joking Illawarriors

You'll keep :ph34r:..................I know where you live :D

Just realised I'm on way back home after being at the Qld Case Swap the previous week, so looking good at a weekend at Castle Hill (where the f*%k is Castle Hill ? - just near Batemans Bay is it ? ) Love to step up and judge a flight - at least we'll get a laugh.

Latest posts

Back