Castle Hill Show Brewing Competition 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for running the Comp guys.
And thanks to Muggus for his Bitter recipe, earned me an HC!! hahaha

My wife and I have not been to a competition for about two years and I felt it was time that I got off my arse and helped out.

It was great to catch up with Barry again and to meet a whole bunch of new brewers to me.

I would have enjoyed the days a little bit better if we weren't blasted by the hot winds for both days.

Congratulations to all the winners and also to the other competitors.

It's shame that I can't put many user names to faces I met over the weekend. But one thing I must say, I have never met a craftbrewer who was not a nice person to talk to. :)

Congratulations to Stuart, well done!!

A great range of fantastic beers were presented! I was really impressed by the quality of most of the beers i judged - Sorry about the "chunks" comment Danny, but you redeemed yourself with that RIS - nectar!!!!!

Great also to see some new judges and stweards helping out Thanks for your help.

Big ups to Stu for the effort in putting this together and running it so smoothly :super:

I dropped a beer off at The Country Brewer at Casula, but i cant see my name on the list. He's probably living the high life with my $5.

For those who dropped off entries at The Country Brewer, we were advised that ... "there's been a mix up about who was to get the entries from Girraween".

We advised the organisors on Friday that they were still here. I suggest those entrant contact the organisors to see whether they intend to judge your entries ... but considering that the results have already been posted, you may as well come and pick them back up.

Cheers

Thanks to Stu, the judges, stewards and others that helped out. I am sure that there is a heap of organisation that goes into these events. Brewers such as myself who live quite a distance away from the event and cant really help out, really do appreciate the effort that you guys put into this event. Cheers to you guys. :beer:

Im happy my results and am looking forward to the feedback from the judges!!

I entered a chocolate stout into the specialties cat. under spiced beer, however it has come up on the list as a ginger spiced beer ????

Regards

Matt Cawley

Hey Stuster!

Thanks for putting this competition together, and apologies that I was not able to help this year.

Just a question regarding the results being sorted. On the PDF, you have the place, name, beer & total columns. I was stoked to see my name in first place in the Belgian Dark Strong Ale with 117 points. However, I see a 119.5 for Barry Cranston's Belgian Dark Strong Ale, yet he is in 3rd place. Is that correct?

Just want to be certain I deserve the 1st place?

Jazzafish - It's explained on the results sheet download.

* The number of entries for this year was excellent with a total of 163 entries. Due to this some flights were split between tables of judges. This ensured that no beers were judged by entrants. At the end of flights, the best beers from each table were judged by three experienced judges and the winners were selected. This means that in some cases the highest scoring beer did not win the flight.

Cheers Ross

Me a champion Brewer! So Stoked!!
Big thanks to everyone involved.

Just a question regarding the results being sorted. On the PDF, you have the place, name, beer & total columns. I was stoked to see my name in first place in the Belgian Dark Strong Ale with 117 points. However, I see a 119.5 for Barry Cranston's Belgian Dark Strong Ale, yet he is in 3rd place. Is that correct?

Just want to be certain I deserve the 1st place?

I too am a little confused with the numbers, for the British and Irish Ales my total is 123.5 and the 1st place was 116 and i only got a HC?

* The number of entries for this year was excellent with a total of 163 entries. Due to this some flights were split between tables of judges. This ensured that no beers were judged by entrants. At the end of flights, the best beers from each table were judged by three experienced judges and the winners were selected. This means that in some cases the highest scoring beer did not win the flight.

Cheers Ross

Thanks Ross, i went straight to the results and skipped the info up the top

Thanks for pointing it out, Ross. I kind of knew everyone would skip the explanation bit. :lol:

Well done slagster and Jazzafish. Both very good beers. :icon_drool2:

Would be good to see some of the recipes if any of those who placed (including HC) are willing to share. :icon_cheers:

Me a champion Brewer! So Stoked!!
Big thanks to everyone involved.

I too am a little confused with the numbers, for the British and Irish Ales my total is 123.5 and the 1st place was 116 and i only got a HC?
well done with the 123.5, Slagster. That's an awesome score!
And yeah, I was confused till I read the notes too.

Woo, 1st place Weizenbock! Sweeeet.

Thanks for running the Comp guys.
And thanks to Muggus for his Bitter recipe, earned me an HC!! hahaha
Well done Eric! You obviously did a better job with it than me...I submitted mine and only got 85. :p

Thanks alot for everyone involved in the judging and running of things. Especially Stu, you've obviously gone to alot of trouble for this, I tip my hat to you.

Cheers Ross

I gues my wife is kinda right when she says I have selective hearing...

Thanks for pointing it out, Ross. I kind of knew everyone would skip the explanation bit. :lol:

Well done slagster and Jazzafish. Both very good beers. :icon_drool2:

Would be good to see some of the recipes if any of those who placed (including HC) are willing to share. :icon_cheers:

Here is the Roggenbier that placed 4th:
Be interested to read the notes. This was the first attempt at the style. I think I needed a bit more bitterness/hardness in the water next time.

Roggenbier

A ProMash Brewing Session - Recipe Details Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 28.00 Wort Size (L): 28.00
Total Grain (kg): 6.96
Anticipated OG: 1.047 Plato: 11.750
Anticipated EBC: 30.5
Anticipated IBU: 15.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
48.0 3.34 kg. Rye Malt America 1.030 7
46.7 3.25 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 1.038 4
3.6 0.25 kg. Weyermann Caramunich II Germany 1.035 125
1.8 0.12 kg. Weyermann Carafa Special II Germany 1.036 1100

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
10.00 g. Super Alpha Pellet 12.00 14.7 60 min.
12.00 g. Czech Saaz Plug 2.20 0.5 5 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Tsp Yeast Nutrient Other 0 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale

and here is the 1st placed Dark Belgian Strong Ale:

I brewed this one a few years ago when I found out my wife was pregnant with our first. The Cardomon and corriander has mellowed alot to leave a complexity to the balance. Was too much in the first six months. I pitched the starter at 20*C then turned the fridge off after 2 days, letting it rise naturally until it finnished. Note that outside temps were ~14 *C. So this idea may not work well in summer!

9 month Strong Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 25.00 Wort Size (L): 25.00
Total Grain (kg): 8.50
Anticipated OG: 1.078 Plato: 18.836
Anticipated EBC: 42.1
Anticipated IBU: 25.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
58.8 5.00 kg. JWM Export Pilsner Australia 1.039 3
11.8 1.00 kg. Cane Sugar Generic 1.046 0
11.8 1.00 kg. JWM Light Munich Australia 1.039 13
4.1 0.35 kg. JWM Amber Malt Australia 1.038 45
4.1 0.35 kg. Special B Malt Belgian 1.030 236
4.1 0.35 kg. Weyermann Caramunich II Germany 1.035 125
4.1 0.35 kg. Weyermann Wheat Dark Germany 1.039 15
1.2 0.10 kg. Weyermann Carafa Special II Germany 1.036 1100

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
50.00 g. Hallertauer Pacific Pellet 4.20 25.3 60 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 Tsp Cardamom Seed Spice 0 Min.(boil)
2.00 Tsp Corriander Seed Spice 0 Min.(boil)
1.00 Tsp Yeast Nutrient Other 0 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP500 Trappist Ale

Thanks to Stu for the great job organising. Also thanks to the wonderful ladies allowing us to be part of the Castle Hill Show, I liked being reminded that men can engage in a craft also.
Thanks to especially Mike, but also to Craig and Joe for imparting their sage wisdom. I had an absolutely fantastic day.

Back