Castle Hill Home brew Competition 2013

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most(all?) categories had a few beers that stood out from the rest of the entries. Those 3-6 beers were then placed on a table for tasting by 2 judges generally from the category that had just been judged. Those two judges then ranked the final table beers in the orders of the 1-2-3 and the rest were HC.

I hope I have this correct. I was there for two days and if I'm wrong then I really didn't learn as much as I thought.

Was my second time stewarding after AABC 2010 and sat for one session judging. If I judged any of your beers in Belgian Strong Ales, I'd be interested in your feedback on my judging sheet.

Thanks to Barry Cranston for helping me through judging.

And Stuart for all your great work. How you managed to watch the Liverpool game Saturday night I'll never know. If I were you I'd have been sleeping for 15 hours.

There were countless other people involved with organising that made this comp possible. You know who you are. You were picking up beers from homebrew shops littered around Sydney, you were unpacking boxes, loading the showground fridge, and all the judges and stewards.

A great two days had by me and I highly recommend to any brewers to come along and help out on these days.

Thanks for putting in all the effort guys.

Josh has it spot on of course. The mini best-of-flight that he describes is to manage any variation of scoring between tables. So the places do not always correspond with the judging scores. And well done to all those whose beers made it to that judge-off. With such big flights a Highly Commended is a really good result.

thanks for all your efforts guys. i'd love to volunteer to help out next year, in any form, after sadly missing this year's one.

Is it just me or have the results disappeared?

Thanks to Stuster and the rest of the guys for all of their efforts over the weekend.

still there mate, on the previous page im just stoked that my mead took the highest score of the comp. now to get the aabc to recognise meads and ciders.

Thanks barls.

It's just me, I can't see it. All good though.

Thanks a million for the explanation of the judging. It sounds like a pretty thorough process!

And to add to what has been said, a huge thanks to those who volunteered. I couldn't get out there but hope to next year.

ps Josh, my beer was in the IPA category not the belgian strong ale. I do look forward to getting my sheets though.

And a huge thanks to the judges and stewards who came along, most for both days, finishing later than the (very hopeful) 3pm finish time I initially suggested.

Alex Mesker
Andrew Olshen
Andrew Squire
Barls
Barry Cranston
Ben Hammond
Ben Magro
Billy Barnetson
Brendan Abbott
Brendan Moss
Brett Norman
Brett Thompson
Cliff
Colin Batt
Craig Goldsmith
Craig Miller
Danny Hannan
Daryl Shipway
David Tetley
Garry Mansfield
Gavin Abfalter
Geoff Hughes
Graham Ellis
Graham Eyres
Jackie Thompson
Joe Valente
Josh Button
Josh King
Kelly Eyres
Kevin Smith
Les Wever
Mark
Merv Cadwallader
Michael Doherty
Michael Wallace
Michael Ward
Mort Piripi
Paul Ryan
Peter Philip
Philip Crossley
Sam Haldane
Scott Cossens
Scott
Simon Haynes
Stewart Smith

And to the show people, particularly Heather, but also Jill and Jenny who prepared huge quantities of food each day.

Thanks again to everyone involved. Looking forward to grabbing my feedback. As a new brewer, this is exactly the sort of information I crave, to get me headed in the right direction from the start :)

Hopefully, I can make it along next year to help out.

Ditto on the kudos to Stuart and the whole team for pulling this together - a BIG effort.

I thought we'd be waiting days for the results to be collated and published.

Thanks Stu and all the judges and stewards, I'm really looking forward to reading my judging sheets and getting prepared for the nationals apparently.

Big thanks and congrads too everybody involved and who entered,Josh mine were in the Belgian strong catagory,cant wait too read the feedback(thats why i entered!) Cheers too everybody involved(again)

thanks stuart and everyone involved, i was rather impressed with the efficiency and professionalism shown by all involved and glad to be part of the action... although disapointed i got pipped at the post in the farmhouse cat, but as it turns out was by one of my club members

also thanks for letting me judge in the comp, it was a great experience and thanks to Barry for his guidance and knowledge.

thanks to all the sponsors, especially Wayward brewery for the lucky door prize, the Biere De Garde was great! not sure i canlet the eisbock age any longer.

brendan.

A special thanks to Stu and all that attended and supported the weekend. Great to hear the number of entries is growing, a boom for creative/scientific types. Sorry I missed out but the snow was great!

Congrats to all placegetters and first-timers! Very fitting that Barry won the inaugural Mel Robson award! Well done, Boss!

Wit

Big thanks to all involved in organising and judging. I've only been brewing for 6 months so an HC for my APA was a big surprise and I'm really pleased. The knowledge and experience shared on this forum is amazing :)

Hi all,

Thanks so much again to Stu and the team.
Great to see the boom in numbers.
Congratulations to all who entered!!

Matt

I know it's been said already, but well done to Stuart & the large team of helpers, stewards & judges who made the comp the well-run, smoothly-oiled machine that it was.

I have doubts that it could have been run as well by anyone else.

Congrats to Barry & all that did well, & commiserations to Barls for not having his Supreme Exhibit/Best-of-Show status recognised for his mead. Maybe next year will be different?!

Back