Carlton Draught / Melbourne Bitter Extract Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whack it in your location as there may be a brewer or two nearby who'll be happy to give hints and tips etc.

I'm Victorian but inner city.

^snap

Iso hop is Satan's spunk? What a lot of twaddle! Isohop is tool for a certain purpose, and it is very good at that purpose.

If it meets your need, helps you to make the beer you want to make - then it is good. That's the ONLY criteria for brewing ingredients and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

In the meantime - I'd stick with hop pellets or flowers too. IMO they make nicer beer - but if you really do want to clone a CUB beer, Isohop is an integral flavour. The thing is, I suspect after making a couple of brews with real hops in them you wont actually want to clone CUB beers anymore.

But if you do want CUB type flavours, and you don't get what you are looking for from pellets or flowers, certainly consider trying isohop, it might well be the "missing thing" if you are failing to get the beer you are after. G&G will be able to tell you how much to use in a brew. You would add it to your bottling bucket or to the fermenter shortly before bottling. Once again consult G&G - I know how to use the stuff in an industrial setting but have very limited experience with it at home.

Happy Brewing

TBb

Hi TB,

I was looking at trying this Carlton Draught Extract recipe that you were providing advice for early last year.

2.4kg LME
400g Dex
40g POR Hops A/A 5.6% @ 60min
Saflager W34/70

I removed the corn syrup and the 15min addition as per your previous advice. Just a couple of things i was wondering about. Could I replace the Dex with something else, I try not to use Dex if I can help it, it's a personal thing. Dex reminds me of Kit and Kilo, I prefer to use malts.
The other thing is, how do you raise the temp. At the moment I set my temp, ferment in primary for approx 1 week, rack and leave in secondary for another week, then drop the temp down to 1'C and condition for another week, then it's into the keg. When do I start to raise the temp? Do I do this at say 1'C per day?

Cheers for your help, greatly appreciated.

Pinky

You are already on the right track

Your recipe was already mostly fine - I'd leave the corn syrup out of it though.

POR is the right hop to use, I'd stick with just an addition @ 60mins, enough flavour/aroma will come through to give you the very small amount of those things you get in a CUB beer.

34/70 is the right yeast to use as well, start it a bit cold, say 12 or 13 degrees and let it rise up to 18 degrees and finish out there - at those temps you will get a quite "CUB" profile out of 34/70

Recipe is the easy part - Almost all CUB beers are just 100% pale malt and a sugar adjunct - so its a matter of how bitter you want it, how hoppy you want it and maybe tweaking the proportion of sugar to get it as dry as you want it to be. You should nail it in a few brews.

TB

Hi TB,

I was looking at trying this Carlton Draught Extract recipe that you were providing advice for early last year.

2.4kg LME
400g Dex
40g POR Hops A/A 5.6% @ 60min
Saflager W34/70

I removed the corn syrup and the 15min addition as per your previous advice. Just a couple of things i was wondering about. Could I replace the Dex with something else, I try not to use Dex if I can help it, it's a personal thing. Dex reminds me of Kit and Kilo, I prefer to use malts.
The other thing is, how do you raise the temp. At the moment I set my temp, ferment in primary for approx 1 week, rack and leave in secondary for another week, then drop the temp down to 1'C and condition for another week, then it's into the keg. When do I start to raise the temp? Do I do this at say 1'C per day?

Cheers for your help, greatly appreciated.

Pinky
Hi just wondering if you tried this and did it taste like Carlton draught? Cheers

Carlton recipe

buy a 6 pack of good quality craft beer.
drink the 6 pack
go to bed and make sure you don't piss. you must let the yeast clean up after itself.its very important
in the morning piss into sanitized bottles .
age the bottles for 2 weeks and then enjoy

expect it to taste like piss

Carlton recipe

buy a 6 pack of good quality craft beer.
drink the 6 pack
go to bed and make sure you don't piss. you must let the yeast clean up after itself.its very important
in the morning piss into sanitized bottles .
age the bottles for 2 weeks and then enjoy

expect it to taste like piss

Who mentioned corona ?

Latest posts

Back