Carbonation question (flat beer)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza101

Reaction score
Hi guys, have a quick couple of questions about carbonation.

I have done a few brews now and like always I use carb drops.

I have just bottled about 10 days ago an APA.
Coopers APA can
1kg LDME
10min boil of citra added to wort
4 day dry hop of cascade
About 10 days fermenting and another 4 days cold crashing outside to help clear it up a bit.
Bottles into 500ml swing tops with 1.5 carb drops each.

So I thought I'd crack one yesterday just to get an idea, a little "fiz" noise, but that's it. Normally I get a mini bang from opening the bottles. I figured this hadn't sealed well as swing tops are prone too. Tasted fine, quite fine actually, but was flat, not entirely but flat enough that you couldn't drink it.

Tried the same again today, different box of bottles, exact same result.

I know that they should be conditioning for another two weeks or so but shouldn't they still have a decent amount of carb by now?

Normally I'd just wait another two weeks and check then but I am just cold crashing another batch to bottle which is going into crown seals bottles and I don't want to have to waste another batch.

Can I, if the batch doesn't carb up, re bottle it with new drops etc into crown seals or will the fudge it up?

This batch and my current batch are the only ones I have ever cold crashed would it be that that has affected it? I understand the carb drops and yeast interact to make the carbonated beer and maybe the cold crash has removed too much yeast not allowing it to carb up?

Anyway, don't want to waste a batch so any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Dazza

I used a Morgan's premium ale yeast also.

Also storing the bottles in my shed so dark and cold. About 10 degrees.

Crashing it shouldnt remove all the yeast, so there would be enough there for carbonation.

I would guess it is most likely a temperature thing, meaning that it needs a little longer to carb up at the cooler temps.

1.5 carb drops should be plenty too.

Dont sweat it, just give it a bit more time.

Thanks mate. Maybe I should store in the house for the first three weeks then move to the garage.

Thanks Mr B

Dazza101, you are not allowing enough time to carbonate and 10 degrees is too cold for early outcomes. A couple of weeks at 18 degrees is more the go. The fact that you got some "pop" on opening in your current set up indicates all is well for good carbonation.
Cheers

Yep, what grott said......waiting is the hardest part, especially at this time of the year when you have to wait for the yeast to do their thing at lower temps. Put them in a warmish place in your house......and leave it alone!

See you mate. Anthony

Ha ha ha thanks guys. I do know it was early but it was my first play on the kit and kilo with some hop additions etc so was excited to see how it goes.

Gonna move it into the house for the last two weeks just to get it where it needs to be then back in the garage for storage.

I really appreciate ally he advice and tips guys.

Latest posts

Back