Cannot remove shank from font

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomdavis

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm currently replacing the cheap chinese taps on my kegerator. I have a 3 tap font, and the middle one came out fine. The two either side though, are being a real pain in the arse.

As you can see from the pic, the shank nut has been removed from each one, but there is another nut which is mounted so close to the inside wall of the font, that it is impossible to get any kind of wrench on to it.

Anyone seen this before, or got any suggestions?

20160529_184041.jpg

Yeah, someone else has suggested a crow's foot wrench. I might see if I can get my hands on one. I also thought one of the old-school monkey wrenches might do the trick, but I think it might be a little tight to get the head of the wrench in there.

I have tried a pair of long nose pliers grott, but I couldn't get any decent purchase on it.

It's a bloody frustrating one as I have my new taps sat there waiting....

Jam a flat blade screwdriver between the nut and he wall, then unscrew from the other side

if that doesnt work then time to break out the 9" electric powered super nut remover

Ducatiboy stu said:
Jam a flat blade screwdriver between the nut and he wall, then unscrew from the other side

if that doesnt work then time to break out the 9" electric powered super nut remover
i thought you used the red/blue spanner before this.

Crows foot may have too much depth.

I'd buy a flat spanner from supercheap and cut out the off face from the wall. Make a crow but a custom solution for your problem.

But my first shot would by post #5 part A if, and only if, there is not a massive bind against that inner cylinder part.

Then crow bar,
then gas axe.

Had a similar problem, bought a tube spanner and cut it about 1" from the end then drilled a hole through the pipe part.

Then used a flat blade in the hole to turn it that ~1/4 turn required to break the seal. Hope that made sense.

Where did you buy the kegerator and taps? If it's a keg King setup, give them a shout and explain your issue, they might just have an answer.

Thanks for the ideas chaps. I shall give 'em a crack and see how I get on.

I'll deffo give Keg King a call if I get no joy though.

Otherwise, this might be a good time to just give up and upgrade the font tower!! :D

A heat gun directed at the nuts may help loosen things up.

Are you interested in selling the taps-I'm looking to down grade?

potof4x said:
A heat gun directed at the nuts may help loosen things up.
Wasn't this a line in the mafia instruction manual?

Happy to sell you the taps mate, do you want the font too? I'll put it back together and you can have it as a job lot if you like?

They are the flow control type. Like this.

https://goo.gl/lcq23d

Having a look at the pic again could you jam a wedge between the two nuts thus stopping them from turning and screw the taps off from the outside?
Cheers

It's a good idea Grott, but the problem is, as they are both angled collars, I can't really turn anything from the other side without damaging the font, or the shank collar. Any degree of twisting would cause the angled collar to bind against the inner and outer wall.

I think the only way to get these off is actually to undo the nut, as designed.

I like the idea of trying a tube spanner though, that is one I haven't given crack.

But I shall wait to see if potof4x wants to buy the whole lot before risking any damage.

I might actually try making me one of these... I just need a 27mm spanner, and an angle grinder and we should be home free...

IMG_05442.JPG

Maybe a bastardised version of an oil filter wrench

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1464661267.190785.jpg

using a hose clamp?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1464661305.372094.jpg

It may be thin enough to get all the way around each nut, and if you can (somehow) tighten it enough, the slits may give some grip on the edges, allowing you to at least break the seal....??

Latest posts

Back