Cannabalising A Bar Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rurik

Reaction score
Hello all

Just got my new/ebay bar fridge. I is realy cool (all puns intended). While it is tall enough to fit kegs in it is just a bit to thin read about 20mm :( to fit two kegs & there is a lot of wasted space in depth. Now I dont think this is going to work but I just wanted to put it out to the world for consideration would it be possiable to bucher the fridge for the compressor and all the workings and fit them two a purpose made, lets call it an esky. I dont think volume is a problem as it would be smaller than the original fridge. I was just seeking thoughts and opinions on this.

Cheers

Rurik

Possible, probably, worth it, probably not.

have seen pictures on the net of this.. wonder where it was.

I have done it successfully, and built it into a home made esky style box.
if your fridge doesnt have both an obvious internal element and external element, forget it..
as the missing one will be built into the casing of the fridge. Which will be about 30 meters of thin copper tube wrapped around under the skin about 20 times.

The one i did was just a matter of carefully cutting the entire fridge to bits taking large sections at a time untill the there was nothing but the back wall left. i then "surgically" removed the rest using tin snips around the internal element inlet and outlet holes..

And once you have done that you have to try and get it built into the new box...
Not to mention try and move it and support it so it doesnt fall over or collapse.
The slightest "kink" in any copper line and its all over rover...

To get it to fit i had to almost massage the copper lines to bend to where i needed them to go..

In summary...
Its an absolute frigin pain in the arse.. but can be done.. :(

I successfully stripped one with the 30 odd meters of thin copper tube under the external skin...Took like 5 pain staking hours..
then once stripped thought... "WTF am i gunna do with a 30 meter long birds nest of 2mm copper element.. :blink: "
then i chucked the lot in the tip and went and had a beer...

Sqyre... ;)

if your fridge doesnt have both an obvious internal element and external element, forget it..
Sqyre... ;)

This has an obvious plate at the back that is easly unscrewd it is connected to the compressor. I can trace wiring up to a control box that also has the light in it. Is there any thing else I should look for?

Cheers Rurik

"WTF am i gunna do with a 30 meter long birds nest of 2mm copper element.. :blink: "
then i chucked the lot in the tip and went and had a beer...

:lol:

Good advice I'd say...

post with pics

first post in the link .....as a fermenting cupboard it is still running strong ,,

have fun and good luck

cheers

Latest posts

Back