Can The Isohops Be Boiled Out?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanga

Reaction score
As above. I want to add body, etc (ie from malt) to a brew, and the brew section at my local consists of a couple of coopers cans and some bottle caps. If I can reduce the bitterness of their lager can, I'm thinking that should do the trick pretty well.

Cheers!

Tamsyn

Everything I've heard and read says "no". Just try to pick a can with the least ammount of bitterness. I've used a Coopers Mexican Cerveza kind of like an extract. Just pretend you've already added the bittering addition, and add your own flavour and aroma hops. (Their "blonde" might be ok for this too).

No can do sorry to spoil your plans. Boiling will remove the aroma if the can had any but it does nothing to the bitterness.

I also use some cans like this and boil to remove aroma. Works well. Would boiling for long periods ADD to bitterness and the hops are being boiled more?

If the shop has Cerveza or Canadian they would just about do - if anything they would give just a faint background bitterness but not much.

Nope, no can do. It's all got to do with Isomerisation of the bittering compounds from what I understand of it.

Ah, doh! Cheers anyway guys!

The plan was to dump a dark onto my hefe yeast after my wheat was finished and maybe try to get something kinda, sorta, similar to a Dubbel.

1 can of the Coopers Dark
1 can of Lager kit (de-bittered - but obviously that's a no go) - (I'm pretty sure these are the only 2 kits in store - but if not I'll use Cerveca / Blond),
and 1 bag of generic brew enhancer (500g malt, 250 each of dex and malto) and
a late B-Saaz addition (coz that's what I've got).

I guess I might just stick with the Dark and Brew Enhancer (and saaz). It will still be pretty decent I think. I'm thinking of adding some Candied peel and dried apricots to the boil as well. Maybe some dates.

So quantities of fruit? Saaz? At this stage I'm thinking 20g at 15 minutes, just for that added hoppy flavour and bitterness.

Latest posts

Back