Can I move my fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctr-dan

Reaction score
Just wondering if I can move my fermenter from the garage to the house and then bottle.
Involves a 12m walk.
Wasn't sure if this would stir up the yeast and start it fermenting again and create bottle bombs?

It wouldn't start fermenting again as the yeast would have eaten all the sugars if fermentation was truly finished.

You should be fine, just be careful not to slosh it around, and it would be no problem if you carry it carefully.

You will get bottle bombs if you bottle the beer before it has finished fermenting, or add too much priming sugar.

I always move the fermenter. Have to. No problems. Just make sure you first remove the airlock, if any, and seal the fermenter as much as possible to prevent drawing in air.

Yeah move the fermenter no problems. But as they said just try and not Slosh it around.

Also might be an idea to let it settle so you're not pouring chunks of yeast trub into your bottles.

To avoid the chunks or haze it's a good idea to move it to the fridge for a few days before bottling, it'll let the beer clear a fair bit before bottling.

Chill it first if you can. That will help clump the yeast further. Consider moving it on a trolley if you're a scrawny ******* like me.

When I had a shed (may it rest in peace), I had my chest freezer in there but had to do my brewing inside. Every brew I would have to move it down from the kitchen and then bring it back up after it was done. I have never had a problem, just remember to take the airlock out. I also let it sit for 30 minutes or so while I sterilised the bottles.

I'm only a little tacker and so the fermenter is almost as big as me, so a little bit of sloshing was envitable but didn't seem to harm the brew.

Move it 24 hours before bottling if you can so things settle down. Can you do it in two stages, is there somewhere in the house you can put it for a couple of days and then move it only a short distance to where you bottle on bottling day?

Also something I figure, people worry about oxidation during the movement of their beer but firstly sloshing isn't as bad as splashing and realistically there should be little to no oxygen in the fermenter anyway as the head space should be full of co2,thus any splashing shouldn't result in much if any oxidation anyway :)

sloshing only stirs up the trub, you're not risking infection by moving the beer. You will have a more cloudy beer if you don't chill though.

If it's an ale, who cares :D

Ale it is and its for my brother who hasn't shown up for bottle day the second time in a row!
I haven't bottled for 12 months so having to clean bottles etc wasn't on my fun to do list when I'm not even drinking it

Thanks for everyone's thoughts

Looks like you have 30 odd bottles to drink and your brother is off to the nearest bottleshop then.....Or the nearest ATM....

Cheers.

This with a bungee strap around the upper part of the FV

or if you have a level smooth surface between the brauhaus and the haus haus, then

This

I use one of these to move my 60L fermentor around the garage, saves my old back and is perfect height to slide fermentor in and out of a Kegmate fridge. Stick a wedge under a wheel to stop it sliding as you load it up.
ed: hey I see they now come with locking wheel brakes. bonus.

Latest posts

Back