Can I borrow your hydrometer? (VIC)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossbaker

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm planning on putting an all grain brew down tonight and it's a recipe that I haven't tried before (Doc's Yard glass Lite). My wife sent me a message saying that she accidently dropped and broke that "funny glass tube thing you use when you brew". Hmmm... does anyone nearby have a spare hydrometer I can use to see if I am in the ballpark with this recipe? I am in Highett, Melbourne.

I am planning on kicking off the brew regardless and just keeping some pre and post boil samples to measure later, but I know I will be struggling to get to a homebrew shop anytime this weekend to replace the hydrometer. As I'm making a lite/mid beer, I'd like to be able to tell people that are drinking what the ABV is with some reliability. Do you think my idea of keeping samples and measuring them later checks out? I also have the option of borrowing one from my dad but I won't be able to get it for a week or so.

Or should I just forget about it and make beer??

Make beer.

Worry about the details later ;)

Edit: It'd Friday night -what could possibly go wrong?

Go ahead and brew. You'll be able to guess the ABV of the beer in a few weeks when your guests start staggering, saying weird shit and breaking stuff.

rossbaker said:
Do you think my idea of keeping samples and measuring them later checks out? I also have the option of borrowing one from my dad but I won't be able to get it for a week or so.

Or should I just forget about it and make beer??
Freeze the samples in plastic sample bottles or small sandwich bags. When you get access to measurement again, thaw them in warm water then measure straight away. The results will be as accurate as you need.

I have a refractometer you can borrow but I'm in Willy on the other side of Melbourne. You'd have to pass Grain and Grape to get here, which begs the question why you wouldn't stop there.

I'm around the corner from you.

PM me if you want to borrow a hydrometer tomorrow morning.

All the above! hehe. $0.02. Take a sample. Freeze if necessary. Make beer!

Did you? :chug:

Make beer. I hardly ever use one of those funny glass things

Thanks guys, especially for the offer of a lend WarmerBeer. I went ahead with the brew and am just about to mash out. I like the idea of freezing samples - I'll do that and hopefully all goes well. Cheers!

Back