Cake Rack For Crown Urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insane_rosenberg

Reaction score
G'Day BIABers,

If like me you were looking for a cake rack to keep your bag clear of the concealed element in your 40L Crown urn, read on.

SWMBO picked these up from Aldi today. She said they cost about $6 for the pair, and the small one is a great fit.

I haven't done a batch with it yet, but it looks like it'll do the job.

2011_09_15_16.56.05.jpg

2011_09_15_16.57.54.jpg

looks good - with an exposed element (Crown or Birko) you need something a bit higher and I've found that a curved roasting rack is the way to go - a bit more exxy, paid about $15 at a kitchen shop (you know the ones that charge $40 for a French Press that's only $11 at Woolies)
However it's good value in the brewing scheme of things.

curved_roasting_rack.jpeg

curved_roasting_rack_2__Large_.jpg

I was always a cake rack "denier" but recently got with the strength it really makes it easy to do stepped mashes and mashouts accurately. :)

I can see the advantage for an exposed element, but does it really make much difference with the concealed element? Or is it just one more item to clean up at the end of the brewday?

I can see the advantage for an exposed element, but does it really make much difference with the concealed element? Or is it just one more item to clean up at the end of the brewday?

My bag has already gotten a bit caramelised (burnt) from stepping up to mash out on about 4 batches. No big deal really, unless it ever burnt through or stuck to the element. :eek:

Latest posts

Back