Buying first one vessel BIAB setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beamer

Reaction score
Hello beer lovers!!!

Im taking the leap and going to begin doing AG BIAB with no chill and very excited about it. However after speaking with the HBS they have offered me a couple of options for the set ups which I liked.

I initialled liked the idea of a BIAB Keggle system which was on a gas burner, keggle was 58L plus ball lock valve, burner stand and all the other trimmings.

Then the HBS also suggested and electric BIAB 40L crown urn, he himself used to brew with gas but found electric much more reliable (for mash adjustments I think).

I was hoping I could hear some thoughts from both sides if anyone could please offer some opinions and advice, I do hope to place my order by tomorrow lunch time.

Thanks and Cheers,
Beamer

I made a 38L electric kettle on the cheap. If I had the money I would get the urn. I'm fairly sure the energy cost is cheaper. Add a PID or Brauduino and you have a pretty cheap Braumeister setup.

Can't comment on the pot/keg with gas burner set up as I've never used one. I started out doing AG in late 2012 using a Crown urn and doing no-chill, and am still doing the exact same method now.

The urn has been very good, never had any operational problems at all. The only minor issue I sometimes have is the boil cutting out due to crap building up on the element cover, but I simply scrape this off with a plastic mash paddle or give it a scrub with a stainless steel wire brush and it carries on as normal.

I find having a false bottom is very handy, so that I can leave the urn switched on to maintain the mash temp a bit more than simply leaving it off the whole time. Also saves raising the bag up to heat it up for mash out.

Other than that, it's a pretty simple process, and you'll find that over time you'll tinker and refine your process to make it more efficient.

Awesome to hear that you are getting into the BIAB club, unfortunately i have little experience with using gas to control the temps, i would imagine that using an electric element with controls in place to switch it off at a certain temp would be an easier way to do things like multiple mash temp ( protein rest, mash out etc)

Barge said:
I made a 38L electric kettle on the cheap. If I had the money I would get the urn. I'm fairly sure the energy cost is cheaper. Add a PID or Brauduino and you have a pretty cheap Braumeister setup.
Funny you mention that barge, the urn setup ends being cheaper and less room taken up in the very small garage. Excuse my lack of research but what is PID , Braudino and braumeister?

Rocker1986 said:
Can't comment on the pot/keg with gas burner set up as I've never used one. I started out doing AG in late 2012 using a Crown urn and doing no-chill, and am still doing the exact same method now.

The urn has been very good, never had any operational problems at all. The only minor issue I sometimes have is the boil cutting out due to crap building up on the element cover, but I simply scrape this off with a plastic mash paddle or give it a scrub with a stainless steel wire brush and it carries on as normal.

I find having a false bottom is very handy, so that I can leave the urn switched on to maintain the mash temp a bit more than simply leaving it off the whole time. Also saves raising the bag up to heat it up for mash out.

Other than that, it's a pretty simple process, and you'll find that over time you'll tinker and refine your process to make it more efficient.
Thanks for all your help lately rocker I greatly appreciate it,

I think I will go towards the urn set up seems a lot of people are using it, and I have witnessed an all grain boil run out of gas.

Did you put a ball lock valve in your urn to transfer to your cubes?

jimmy_jangles said:
Awesome to hear that you are getting into the BIAB club, unfortunately i have little experience with using gas to control the temps, i would imagine that using an electric element with controls in place to switch it off at a certain temp would be an easier way to do things like multiple mash temp ( protein rest, mash out etc)
Thanks Jimmy,

I have been brewing extract for about 6 months, and love craft beer, I just find with extract im missing the chance to make more genuine tasting beers. Next step is checking ph levels adding salts and falling down the rabbit hole or vortex as so I have heard it called!!!!

Oh yep, your definately on the way,,,

Good luck and happy brewing.

Beamer said:
Did you put a ball lock valve in your urn to transfer to your cubes?
Yeah, I did. I did use the original tap for the first couple of batches but it was a pain in the arse. I had to use a funnel into the hose because it didn't fit over it. The ball valve is so much easier, simply put the hose over the barb and open it about 1/3-1/2 and let it slowly drain into the cube. Probably easier to clean it too, they are easily taken apart and put back together.

Rocker1986 said:
Yeah, I did. I did use the original tap for the first couple of batches but it was a pain in the arse. I had to use a funnel into the hose because it didn't fit over it. The ball valve is so much easier, simply put the hose over the barb and open it about 1/3-1/2 and let it slowly drain into the cube. Probably easier to clean it too, they are easily taken apart and put back together.
Was it a simple swap over job with the ball lock valve?? And are the easily purchased from the HBS?

http://www.braumeister.com.au/

The braumeister is the thermomix of brewing. It's essentially an urn with a basket for the grain to go in. It has an electronic controller (basically a PID - you can google that one) that controls the temperature of the water.

The Brauduino is an electronic controller that was developed by Matho (an AHB member) and has been further developed by Lael (also AHB) and Ardbir (some italian blokes). It does the job of the braumeister controller, allowing brewers to build their own systems and save a heap of cash.

Beamer said:
Was it a simple swap over job with the ball lock valve?? And are the easily purchased from the HBS?
Yeah they're pretty easy to put on. If you decide on an urn, you can probably order a ball valve from the same place, but I imagine HBS would stock them as well.

One thing though, make sure you use thread/plumbing tape on the threads, otherwise they leak. Also put some thread tape around the thread on the site gauge thing too. I noticed it leaked wort when I first got mine until I put thread tape on it. Not much, but still annoying having to clean it up.

Rocker1986 said:
Yeah they're pretty easy to put on. If you decide on an urn, you can probably order a ball valve from the same place, but I imagine HBS would stock them as well.

One thing though, make sure you use thread/plumbing tape on the threads, otherwise they leak. Also put some thread tape around the thread on the site gauge thing too. I noticed it leaked wort when I first got mine until I put thread tape on it. Not much, but still annoying having to clean it up.
I have decided to go with the urn and have seen on the website the place im going through does stock the ball valves. Once I get the set up ill give it all a good run through with some water to check for leaks and the like. Thanks again for all your help.

Yeah definitely a good idea to test it with water first. I did that with my ball valve which is what led me to using thread tape on it. Unfortunately didn't do it with the site gauge initially but when I saw a small wort leak coming from it (was probably as minuscule as 10 or 20mL) I decided to tape the thread on it too.

if going for the urn, don't rule out investigating the 'Grainfather' or keg king 'Robobrew' for slightly more upmarket alternatives

(I use a 40L birko urn but have updated it DIY style to recirculation... going direct to one of these saves some of that experimentation)

Urn. Bag. Skyhook (buy parts from Bunnings).

Gas is expensive to run.

If you like tinkering go for some of the other options. Personally I fail to understand the benefits of recycling wort in an urn, mostly seems to be done by people who worship the BrauMeister but can't afford one.

My urn has regularly thrashed BrauMeister brews in competitions.

I don't know what an Arduino or a Pid is ... I'll leave all that to the tinkerers B)

Gas also has the danger of gas and if mobile bottled gas where do you store the bottles and can not be used indoor if you have mains gas then that may be cheaper .

I'm happy with the gas side of things, have got 8 brews out of a 9.5kg bottle so far (boil only), and have been told you can get 10. So I would guess maybe 5 BIAb brews out of a bottle accounting for heating water to mash plus the boil.
15 cents a tallie for gas....?

When you do biab its only the final boil that needs to actually boil could use portable hotplate to heat water and save gas.

Latest posts

Back