• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Buying And Selling Protocols

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reg

Reaction score
If you purchase something of a fellow AHBer, deposit funds into their account but the goods dont turn up. What can you do?
Is there a protocol to follow?
What if they say they have posted the goods but they dont turn up? What can you do?

Is it just bad luck and chalk it up to experience?

Interesting to hear if anyone on here has had any bad experiences and how they got resolved, if at all.

If you purchase something of a fellow AHBer, deposit funds into their account but the goods dont turn up. What can you do?
Is there a protocol to follow?
What if they say they have posted the goods but they dont turn up? What can you do?

Is it just bad luck and chalk it up to experience?

Interesting to hear if anyone on here has had any bad experiences and how they got resolved, if at all.

Have you allowed for Aus Post to not be at its super efficient best?

Never had a drama here, but depending on the amount of the sale, I'd either chalk it up as a loss, reach an agreement about a full or partial refund, or get all the info you have and go to the cops (after giving the seller reasonable time to make good, of course). Receiving money without sending the goods is fraud after all.

"Lost in the mail" is your problem unless it was sent Express or Registered, afaik.

PM the sender, if no luck, then PM one of the Moderators.

Edit - too slow on the typing, what PoMo siad.

For anything of value, registered post (for the extra $2.70) is well worth the effort and saves any 'lost in the post' excuses/reasons, or any damage caused in transit.

"Lost in the mail" is your problem unless it was sent Express or Registered, afaik.

Anything sent by regular mail has no way to be tracked, and therefore the sender would have no proof of posting.
It would be his/her word against yours. In any case a claim would have to be lodged from the sender's end, so really it is a problem for both parties.

For anything of value, registered post (for the extra $2.70) is well worth the effort and saves any 'lost in the post' excuses/reasons, or any damage caused in transit.

Exactly, I don't have an issue paying an extra few bucks for rego. This way the seller can't say that they have sent it and you don't receive it. That being said I have never had an issue on this forum. Pick your seller do your homework and things should be sweet.

Maybe there can be a thread on here for that sought of thing, Feedback on buying and selling.

BYB

Even if they sent it general post, and it was a parcel, they should have a reciept with "parcel to Post Code ####" or similar, although there is no recourse for tracking it, but at least the seller can prove they sent something to your post code at that time. If it was only a smaller item in a satchel or such then they only get a receipt for the satchel or postpak...

If they did just take your cash and held out on you, that blows bigtime

Am I the only person who thinks a public name and shame isn't out of the question??

Am I the only person who thinks a public name and shame isn't out of the question??
There could be a genuine reason for the parcel not turning up, which could be unfair on the seller. But it would be a lesson for them on registered mail. I personally have never lost anything through Aust Post, I think it is sometimes convenient to blame.
Reg, next time just send a cheque, in the post...

PM the sender, if no luck, then PM one of the Moderators.

What would you expect one of the moderators to do?

Someone says it did not arrive,perhaps it did perhaps it didn't. Surely you can't expect a moderator to get involved.
As far as I see it you enter into a buy/sell arrangement with a fellow member, it is a transaction between you two and separate from the guide lines of this forum.

Batz

There could be a genuine reason for the parcel not turning up, which could be unfair on the seller. But it would be a lesson for them on registered mail. I personally have never lost anything through Aust Post, I think it is sometimes convenient to blame.
Reg, next time just send a cheque, in the post...
I agree that there should not be public airing of the persons name you bought from as it may turn up the following day and then who has egg on their face..

I also believe that Batz is right there is not much the moderators can do.

Seeking advice from someone it may have happened to before and how it may have got resolved.

Simple. I would expect the moderators to get involved in the same way I would expect the barman to get involved in a deal gone wrong I organised down the pub, or Sol Trujillo in a deal I organised over the phone... :blink: :D

Someone says it did not arrive,perhaps it did perhaps it didn't. Surely you can't expect a moderator to get involved.
As far as I see it you enter into a buy/sell arrangement with a fellow member, it is a transaction between you two and separate from the guide lines of this forum.

Batz

Agreed. The mods do their job - being policemen on a he says / she says basis should not be part of their job descriptions. "Name and shame" is an automatic response but it does not belong here on a beer and brewing site. If it becomes common to "name & shame" , it becomes too easy to manipulate it and use as a weapon, whether there is guilt or not.

mods would be useful to PM to check if the persons inbox is full (hence not receving your PMs) and to tell you when the last time the person logged on was.

as for any further response, it depends on whether I forgot to send you something Reg :lol: i think most people are pretty good here. although it might be buyer beware if your getting something off someone whose 1st post is, ive got x for sale...

Edit: I myself have been guilty of being very slow to mail out stuff Ive sold (*bad CM2*). the guys were understanding but thats because i kept them in the loop.

Just as an aside, is it possible for mods. to sight or read pm`s from one member to another?

stagga.

Just as an aside, is it possible for mods. to sight or read pm`s from one member to another?

stagga.

Indeed it is.... not in actual form, but they can find them in the database

Edit: Maybe not the mods, but the administrators of the site can

Indeed it is.... not in actual form, but they can find them in the database

Edit: Maybe not the mods, but the administrators of the site can

That`s very interesting. But is it the case that mods. are actually able to read pm`s from one member to another?
Doesn`t appear to be any mods. on line at the mo for a definite answer.

stagga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back