Burners

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The nasa burner is good.

The only thing that worries me about it is how much weight the stand can take and how long it can take the heat before/if anything happens to it.

It would not be good for the stand to keel over while boiling 30 litres of wort.

When I eventually get a stand I will look at ways to take the weight of the stand and keep it on the frame.

johnno

That's why I built the cradle Johnno.

Wouldn't trust is as far as I could throw it red hot with bare hands with just the burner stand to take the weight. :ph34r: Particularly with 42 litres in the pot. :eek:

Cradle also allows me to slide the burner out. Makes things a bit quicker when you're using an immersion chiller. :beerbang:

I don't think the stand itself would deteriorate over time though Johnno. If anything the extreme heat would most likely harden the metal. :unsure:

Warren -

I have similar to Aaron's with a high pressure regulator.

Don't really understand this need for speed - I start the heater halfway through the sparge & it's boiling as it finishes - Personal preference, but I like having a nice spread of flame as well....

cheers Ross...

I just got a auscrown Burner from CEM international in Bris for $85 including the reg, stand and hose etc. I thought it was the same as sosman's 55mj version but when I opened the box it says it's rated at 126mj. I havent used it to boil a batch yet but this puppy puts out alot of heat. I rang them to find out if they could swap it for a smaller on but they said it's all they had. It has auto start and you can keep the flame very low so I'm sure it will work real well and there is no soot at all down low. The stand fits the fatter style kegs perfect and the thinner ones fit with a slight mod to the stand, aka grinder.

Matt

hockadays.

What is the model number of your new burner?

ausdb said:
Aaron said:
I have a ring burner that you can see on this page. It does not get the job done as fast as a nasa but you don't notice the noise at all. I can sit near it and read the paper without it bothering me.

Hi Aaron I have one of those burner's as well but have not thought much of it, what size boil do you do?
Do you notice a difference using it with you keg HLT or your Kettle which is a flat bottomed pot?
I have used mine with a 50L keg kettle and came to the conclusion that it was due to the base of the kettle being a lot higher than the actual flame because of the chimb on the keg. I ended up using an old primus sievert blowtorch which makes a nasa pale into insignificance! and a bottle of gas disapear in the blink of an eye!
[post="111661"][/post]​
I can't say I have noticed a huge difference between the two but I would say it is more effective with the flat bottom kettle. That said I have had no issues with using it with the keg. It is certainly not as fast as a nasa but it does the job. Also as I am using my keg as a hlt I only need to get the temp to low 70's rather than boiling. It does that very quickly but it may be more of an issue to get to boiling with the keg.

Screwtop said:
Have a 3 ring from a disposal store $28 takes 55 min to get 27L to the boil. Turn two rings off to leave a nice rolling boil. So far 9 boils from a half full 9Kg bottle and still going so can't comment on usage, always have a spare full bottle on hand. So it takes a while, nice calm relaxed brew day is what it's all about. Always seem to have things to do while waiting for the boil so time is immetestical.
[post="111588"][/post]​

Hey screwtop,
i use a 3 ring outside and often have some issues with the wind... which has now been rectified. But i always have the small ring going at start of sparge and then get the middle ring going a little later through the sparge. by the time my kettle is full and ready to start the boil... it takes about 2 -5 minutes on 3 rings. :super:

Just wondering what the effect would be if you hooked up an adjustable reg to a 3 or 4 ring burner (one of the ordinary disposal store types), and turned up the pressure a bit?

And where would you get an adjustable regulator?

Hey screwtop,
i use a 3 ring outside and often have some issues with the wind... which has now been rectified. But i always have the small ring going at start of sparge and then get the middle ring going a little later through the sparge. by the time my kettle is full and ready to start the boil... it takes about 2 -5 minutes on 3 rings. super.gif

I have the same burner - also bought from a disposals fairly cheaply. I used it for the first time on the weekend and found it took way too long to boil mainly due to the wind.

I guess I need to rig some form of wind protection to see how it goes.

Agro.

Joel said:
Just wondering what the effect would be if you hooked up an adjustable reg to a 3 or 4 ring burner (one of the ordinary disposal store types), and turned up the pressure a bit?

And where would you get an adjustable regulator?
[post="111742"][/post]​

As said before, I have a burner identical to aaron's, with an adjustable regulator, and I have no problems with it. The regulator came from a fellow homebrewer who was upgrading his system (now, where have you heard that story before ;) )

I use the burner to power the 50L SS kettle, and the wort from the run off and sparge is in the 65-70c range to start with. So, I am not bringing water up from ambient temp in the HLT with it.

agro said:
Hey screwtop,
i use a 3 ring outside and often have some issues with the wind... which has now been rectified. But i always have the small ring going at start of sparge and then get the middle ring going a little later through the sparge. by the time my kettle is full and ready to start the boil... it takes about 2 -5 minutes on 3 rings. super.gif

I have the same burner - also bought from a disposals fairly cheaply. I used it for the first time on the weekend and found it took way too long to boil mainly due to the wind.

I guess I need to rig some form of wind protection to see how it goes.

Agro.
[post="111744"][/post]​

Yep, bricks helped for a while, but i found starting my brew day at 5am helped the most, i was finished before lunch and the wind wasnt an issue at the time of boiling :D
but i just sorted some ali/tin sheeting from mitre 10.... bend it round into a loop and bolt it. too easy coupla $$

Latest posts

Back