Bulk Long Term Storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furby83

Reaction score
hey all,

I'm looking for a long term storage solution for my brews that isn't kegs (too much) or bottles (none on hand/none big enough)

Ty in advance.

How long term?

How about 2L PET Bottles....eg empty coke bottles...plenty of guys here use em

hey all,

I'm looking for a long term storage solution for my brews that isn't kegs (too much) or bottles (none on hand/none big enough)

Ty in advance.

No bottles, no kegs, no cans... hmmmm.... Well in that case I suggest you use the bath tub and cover it with glad wrap. Everyone showers these days anyway.

Shop around for 2L bottles for around $1 and just tip the contents, twelve bottles will hold a standard brew and can be reused several times.

recycled photo, went on to kegs :

Peak_Beer.JPG

I store lagers in my no chill jerry cans. Theres an option.

edit.. jerry containers

I store lagers in my no chill jerry cans. Theres an option.

edit.. jerry containers

If you seal them up well and prime them very lightly to cause a slight secondary fermentation, then when that has flushed the headspace with CO2 and seal them up tight they should store just like giant bottles, check now and again to make sure they aren't swelling. Ideally in fridge, would keep for months and re carb in bottle or keg when needed.

Yep, I'm sold on the big 2L PET bottles, they make life such a breeze at bottling. B) And not to mention they're a jolly handy excuse to have a decent session- we can't store beer in a partly- emptied container now, can we, it just has to be drunk once opened! ;)
Dunno if I'd be game to use them for RIS, Malt Liquor or those stronger beers, could be pretty dangerous! :icon_drunk:

would these work

finalproducttransferredtocubetocoolovernight.jpg

i don't do full 23L brews and as said in my mini-keg thread i will be limited on space soon.

Yes, they should work but they won't pressurise well at all, so I'd follow BribieG's method described above. If they're going in a fridge I'd just consider it as extended lagering which is fine for lagers, shouldn't hurt ales either.

i'm now thinking of going a full keg system. if the "cubes" would need to be stored in a fridge i might as well.

how much weight do you thing a tumble dryer could have on top of it? (as i said limited space :( )

i'm now thinking of going a full keg system. if the "cubes" would need to be stored in a fridge i might as well.

how much weight do you thing a tumble dryer could have on top of it? (as i said limited space :( )

I reckon if you put a sheet of ply (fifteen bucks from the local timber and hardware or a couple of pine planks from somewhere) on top for a bit of padding / load equalisation you could stack 3 or 4 kegs on top no problems. I take it the dryer is on the floor, not some sort of brackets??

edit: my tool trolley is made of similar material to a dryer and it takes a full 60 - 80 kg load when I'm doing a doubler and doesn't even crack a sweat - the castors don't even complain.

doubleurn.jpg

yeah it's sitting on the floor of the garage next to the "spare"(see overflow ) fridge

Back