bulk grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poggor

Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on different brands of grain? is there any difference say between the various different pilsner malts available? there is a significant price difference, but is there much tangible taste difference in people's experience?

g

Yes but like everything it is subjective. Subjectivity relates to preference, the differences are often distinct.

so for instance if i used joe white pilsner as a base malt in my german beers, would i get an inferior result over a german malt? Also, I was wondering, how should grain be stored, and how long will it keep? I'm just thinking of buying some commonly used grain in bulk to save hassle and money.

g

That's why I say subjective - inferiority is a useless concept in this regard.
You will undoubtedly get a different result and I prefer (by a country mile) the results I get from using weyermann and dingemans malts in european style beers but all things being equal, you can make great beers with all the malts available in AU.
Make a bitter or apa with joe white ale, then make it again with simpsons maris - see what you prefer.

IMHO if you went to a German malt for a German Pils it would improve 100 times over a Joe White. That's why I keep soo many bags of grain on hand.

If you're not using German ingredients in a German beer - is it really a German beer?

but seriously- what is the best price you can get say 50kg of grain for? also, any specifics on storage and longevity? does it have to be stored in air tight containers?

poggor said:
but seriously- what is the best price you can get say 50kg of grain for? also, any specifics on storage and longevity? does it have to be stored in air tight containers?
You generally buy grain in 25kg sacks (Briess comes in 22.68kg bags).

Un-cracked grain is usually good to keep for a while (over a year) - it doesn't need to be kept in an airtight container, just be mindful of keeping pests out.

Grain is a cereal. Reducing exposure to oxygen, pests etc means it stays fresher, longer. You can taste when it starts to stale. Just buy some cheap grain, get a recipe you like and brew. Then buy some expensive grain, brew the same recipe and compare. Balance cost with result and personal preference and bulk purchase the malt of choice.

Keeping an airtight container will reduce oxidation of compounds in the grain and keep the grain fresher longer. So will keeping it at a constant temp under 20 odd degrees. This is best case scenario though, as mentioned it'll be fine if you can't control these variables for at least 6 months to a year, uncracked.

In my experience and using other foods/organic goods as a template.

Also if you decide to go the aussie malt route, JW pils can be had for as little at low $40s for cash at kegking if you are near melbourne, and im sure other hbs will have at similar price. Great verasatile, if a bit bland, base malt for learning. No affiliation etc.

Australian base malts are deliberately made from barley strains that suit VB, Kirin, Singha and other Australasian and Asian industrial beers. Nevertheless they are good cheap bland base malts that can be tricked up by the home brewer for UK, American or Euro styles by using spec malts like Munich, crystals, Melanoiden etc.

To me it boils down to the food miles thing. Ethically I try to use local malt but for my UK styles I use UK malts. For my odd American IPA or German style Pils or Dort I still use local, pimped.

Bribie G said:
Australian base malts are deliberately made from barley strains that suit VB,
Or is it that these beers evolved from the available malt?

indica86 said:
Or is it that these beers evolved from the available malt?
yeah, I think the variety of barley grown here is barley best suited to the climate rather than barley grown for a specific beer to be made.

thanks for the excellent tips guys. maybe i will buy a 25kg bag of dingmans or weyerman

Spiesy said:
If you're not using German ingredients in a German beer - is it really a German beer?
if you used German ingredients but brewed it here in Australia wouldn't that make it an Aussie beer anyway?

Rob.P said:
if you used German ingredients but brewed it here in Australia wouldn't that make it an Aussie beer anyway?
Sure, but it could still fall under a German style category, right?

Just wondering where the line is drawn.

Spiesy said:
Sure, but it could still fall under a German style category, right?

Just wondering where the line is drawn.

I would say the style is more down to flavour of the final product than the ingredients.

I'm not fussed on the origin of the ingredients when drinking good beer.

Latest posts

Back