Bulk Buy - Vacuum Sealers...interest And Info

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine arrived today too, very well packed. I tried it out already too, I resealed a bag of shredded cheese.

I tried to reseal a foil craft brewer hop bag but it didn't really work. I think maybe I should have set the time to longer than 5 seconds or something like that.

It's pretty awesome I must say.

Ordered Monday, arrived today.

Have a Sunbeam, but like the idea of the nozzle type and cheaper bags.

Well done Pok and Michael!

Slightly OT, but i see in the instructions no water/liquid can get into the machine. It then mentions the use of a tissue (for meat lets say). Would the tissue then stay in the bag with the meat?

you dont want it over the seal/join of the bag as the plastic would not melt and seal.

Not that i think i will use it for meats but thought i might ask if anyone knew
cheers

While I was out the postie came by...and left me a note to visit the post office....only one registered mail parcel I am waiting for :D

Slightly OT, but i see in the instructions no water/liquid can get into the machine. It then mentions the use of a tissue (for meat lets say). Would the tissue then stay in the bag with the meat?

you don't want it over the seal/join of the bag as the plastic would not melt and seal.

cheers

In the instructions it says to not get too much liquid in there, as if it's okay to get some liquid in there.

In fact on page 5 it says it's "normal" for some liquid to escape when packing liquid-y things.

you dont want it over the seal/join of the bag as the plastic would not melt and seal.

cheers

Mine has arrived! Paid Monday & delivered Wednesday (During a postal dispute & pre-Christmas). How good is that? :super:

Once again, many thanks for all your work Pok. It's very much appreciated. :icon_cheers:

Gout,
From my one & only use of this sealer (Last week) I would assume that the tissue will stay pressed against the vacuum (No need to use a full tissue) whilst the sealer seals the bag about 20mm below that point.
Be warned that fine powders like Polyclar will be sucked into the machine during operation so it's best to give stuff like that a miss when using the vacuum sealer.

TP

Whahoo....it arrived :D

Here are some photos:

The parcel:
1.jpg

Ooo some free bags...there is perks invovled in being the organiser of a $5k sale.
2.jpg

The Real Deal:
3.jpg

Saweeet:
4.jpg

Read to roll:
5.jpg

Some re-sealed Beerbelly hops....original bag didn't work to well as I had cut it too small..but will give it a whirl in the new bags.
6.jpg

Much better result with the bags that came with the unit:
7.jpg

Now time to go and vacuum pack random stuff :p

I have to say that was the fastest bulk buy ever. 6 days (4 business days) and I have my sealer....great service that!!!

If anyone wants to purchase sealers / bags etc in the future I highly recommend Michael @ "Seal and Pack".

Merry Xmas, Pok

Postie left a "You Have Mail" Slip in the box today, will pick it up tomorrow.

They don't deliver the article, you have to pick it up??? Thought postage meant to your door :huh:

Well done guys, thanks again.

Screwy

They don't deliver the article, you have to pick it up??? Thought postage meant to your door :huh:

Screwy

My door is a PO Box Screwy. Leaves my footpath with minimum damage from those posties & their bloody motorbikes. :lol:
I suppose in my case that's postage to my door?
TTBOMK there was a Fastways option but I never used it?

TP

Mine turned up today again Pok Thanks for organising!

Mine arrived today no problems and much appreciated excellent service from seal and pack.
Cheers Altstart

No package at my house yet....

Was ready for collection Monday. Wasn't picked up until Tuesday & it could still be another week yet.

Got the following, very automated looking, response from "Fast"Ways:

"It does not appear that your parcel has been delivered yet as insufficient time has been allowed between the pick-up and our advertised delivery service standards. General delivery service standards by label colour are detailed on our rate schedule, or you can also use our 'Price / Service Calculator' both of which can be viewed on our web site. Bacchus Marsh is 2-7 working days from Sydney"

Sydney to outer Melbourne = 7 working days! I could walk up and get it quicker.

Screwy

False alarm! Was a registered post document bag from the Accountant :(

Still waiting

Screwy

I was not in the bulk hop buy - however i have 2x1Kg of hops and 2x500g hops (sealed from my HBS)

what does everyone think is a good volume per vac sealed bag. I was thinking 100g but i guess the bags can be resealed so maybe 200g bag lots?

nice to hear what others have done
( i brew 50Lt batches - i was thinking 200g cascade which i use more in a brew, 100g por etc that i only use for bittering)

I was not in the bulk hop buy - however i have 2x1Kg of hops and 2x500g hops (sealed from my HBS)

what does everyone think is a good volume per vac sealed bag. I was thinking 100g but i guess the bags can be resealed so maybe 200g bag lots?

nice to hear what others have done
( i brew 50Lt batches - i was thinking 200g cascade which i use more in a brew, 100g por etc that i only use for bittering)

I found that the smallest bags held 250g of hops perfectly. Half a smallest bag held 100g hops perfectly (ie cut the bag in half, reseal one end of one half, and both ends of the other half).

If the bag is too big for the hops, it doesn't vacuum properly. That's what I figured out. You want about 1.5 inches of 'head room' to get a perfect seal.

This unit is great. It's feels so old school, like an old appliance your grandma would have had. The power switch and timer setting etc is all so generic looking haha. I love it.

Anyone notice it smelled sort of like petrol too?

The little feet on the device keep leaving black marks on my bench <_< any tips there?

Also, stupid question, but I take it we are meant to leave the foam in? I get a much better vacuum with it in...

Latest posts

Back