British Indian Curry forum

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Been meaning to post this for a while, there's an interesting curry forum, been going for a year now and starting to get some good traffic. If you are interested in cooking restaurant style Indian food it's a good resource, and there are plenty of traditional and Aussie style recipes popping up now as well. The forum is run by a guy in Perth but it's hosted in the UK - a few Aussies on board too. Couple of home brewers as well.

British Indian Restaurant Curries

I'm "beachbum" on the forum. I'm also a mod there so behave. :ph34r:

Thanks for the link Bribie.

Will have a look. I still on the search for the perfect Vindaloo. Got the butter chicken down pat now thanks for a Queenslader on CRO. Froget his name. Was on CRO for a while but they were quite a clicky bunch.

Cheers
Steve

Steve said:
Thanks for the link Bribie.

Will have a look. I still on the search for the perfect Vindaloo. Got the butter chicken down pat now thanks for a Queenslader on CRO. Froget his name. Was on CRO for a while but they were quite a clicky bunch.

Cheers
Steve
:p

That's a main reason the new forum got started as a sort of "splinter group"..

Nev, the Admin (Corey Ander B) ) and a guy called British Indian are both in Perth. British Indian started British Indian to Go at Kingsley wherever that is, but has sold it recently to his head chef, had got a bit much for him.

Bribie G said:
:p

That's a main reason the new forum got started as a sort of "splinter group"..

Nev, the Admin (Corey Ander B) ) and a guy called British Indian are both in Perth. British Indian started British Indian to Go at Kingsley wherever that is, but has sold it recently to his head chef, had got a bit much for him.
I think you told me about that restaurant before. It is about 30 mins away from me.
I do prefer to make my own anyway.
Nev

Just saw there is a new member on there called curryj yo B)

Actually making a butter chicken for work tomorrow (we have curry days once a week).

I might have to have a little looksee at the forum this evening. Quite convenient as I was looking to make some base curry tonight for dinner tomorrow and freeze the rest.

Well certain individuals could make the AHB side of this thread useful and post their favourite recipes here...

Registered on the forum, soooooo much to learn.

Screwy

Spread the curry love around

:icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

I've posted a few myself in the brew food subforum.

Restaurant style curries are a bit like AG brewing in a way, you need to develop a new level of skills compared to just whipping out the frying pan in the kitchen at home. Restaurant curries are based on a base "gravy" made in a commercial kitchen from simple ingredients such as onions, garlic and ginger that is really quite time consuming to prepare and to fine tune, then the curry variants themselves can be prepared using the base... So a British Indian Restaurant / Australian Indian Restaurant thread on AHB would probably need a few sub forums and possibly grow a bit too big for its boots. Put it this way from the other direction, on another curry forum a few people have posted "how do I brew a version of Kingfisher Lager to enjoy with my Vindaloo". I actually replied to that, but (sensibly, I guess) backed off a full treatment of BIAB or Braumeister and ended up referring them to Jims Beer Kit and AHB forum as being the more appropriate place to source their information and hone their skills. :)

Hi Screwtop, may your vindaloos burn you twice :lol:

Here ya go, dent!
Butter Shicken.

1kg chicken breast, cut into 4 cm cubes
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp ground coriander
3/4 tsp chilli powder
3 tsp grated ginger
3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbs white vinegar
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup yoghurt
80gm butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 cinnamon stick
4 cardamom pods, bruised
1 tsp salt
3 tsp sweet paprika
425 tomato puree 3/4 cup chicken stock
1 cup cream

1.Combine ground spices, ginger, garlic, vinegar, paste and yoghurt in large bowl, add chicken, coat with marinade and refridgerate over night. (12 hours is ok)
2. Heat butter in pan, add onion, cinnamon and cardomom, cook, stirring til onion is browned lightly. Add chicken and cook for 10 minutes whilst stirring.
3. Add salt, paprika (I sometimes put the paprika in the marinade) puree and stock and simmer, uncovered for around 40 minutes. Add cream, simmer about 15 minutes or until chicken is tender.

This is always a winner!

:icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

BribieG can you explain the term "British Indian curry"? How does it differ from Indian curry? I'm not after 'not so hot' more taste profile.

Cheers

Cube said:
BribieG can you explain the term "British Indian curry"? How does it differ from Indian curry? I'm not after 'not so hot' more taste profile.

Cheers
Bribie G said:
Wot, never had a Rijstaffel?

I'm a big fan of British Indian Restaurant and Australian Indian Restaurant cooking.

Recipes are very similar - chicken Madras etc - but methods completely different. The Poms base their curry on a sauce of spiced boiled onions that are blended to a "soup" and this is used for a universal base gravy, with other spices and precooked meats depending on the dish, then cooked to thicken. Onions, and masses of them, are at the heart of the cuisine.

Aussie Indian restaurants make their gravies from caramelised onions and tomato puree then various base gravies are "split off" from the main batch by adding the likes of vinegar or ground almonds/cashews or dried coconut milk. At cooking time the gravies and precooked meats are spiced further then thinned out with stock, and other ingredients added such as masses of cream for Butter Chicken, masses of Chilli for Vindaloo etc.

With my own home attempts I really prefer the Aussie version - the Pom varieties are delicious but a bit "samey". The cooking process will be on display at Winkle's case swap, I'm doing lunch and will bring the bases, precooked meat, stocks, my spice "library" etc and assemble / cook batches on the fly as the customers ply me with stupefying liquors. :icon_cheers:

I just joined as curryman (who woulda thought that username was still available). thanks BribieG.

Latest posts

Back