British Indian Curry forum

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cube, further to Brad's post, main difference between Indian and British Indian is that most "traditional" British restaurant curries aren't actually Indian. :blink: They were adapted from Indian favourites but the original wave of "Indian" restaurants were started up by Bangladeshi immigrants who arrived in the UK following independence and the war with Pakistan, and most of them came from the Bangladesh city of Sylhet for some specific reason that escapes me at the moment. Aussie Indian restaurants on the other hand tend to serve North Indian style curries.

Perfect example of Bangla deshis getting it wrong is the mighty Vindaloo. This came from Goa in Southern India and the word is from the Portuguese Vinho D'ahlo (sp?) that means vinegar and garlic. The Bangladeshi chefs mistakenly thought that the "aloo" referred to potatoes, as that's their name in Hindi, so in the UK at any rate they often put potatoes in the vindaloo.

However all differ from traditional Indian curries in that they are made in bulk for fast service, not unlike Chinese food in food courts or takeaways isn't much like Chinese people would eat at home. Indian "authentic" curries would be made by the ladies of the house and they have all day to prepare and cook, whilst street food is made by men. They are also overwhelmingly vegetarian or based on fish. There's a huge variety, Rick Steins India is a brilliant intro, as is Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Nation if you can track down episodes.

Edit: however as the forum grows there's a subforum for "traditional" recipes that members can post in. I"m particulary interested in Southern Indian and Sri Lankan curries. Also there's a continuing quest to find out what's in that bright yellow stuff with the mystery lumps that you get in Chinese restaurants as "curry" and which is totally delicious :icon_drool2:

Bribie G said:
They are also overwhelmingly vegetarian or based on fish.
I would argue against that.
It is certainly a regional / religious thing.
I ate plenty of chicken and mutton - aka goat - when I was there.

Interesting. Was watching a BBC cooking show on ABC that was about home recipies competing to get into a cookbook. This particular ep had a recipie for chicken vindahlo and the and the recipie owner actually explained that "ahlo" meant garlic and "aloo" meant potatoe. Looked great, made with chilli,tumuric,garlic ( and someother spuce I cant remember ) and marinated for most of the day . It was also referrred to as a dry curry and was served with dahl.

Bribie G said:
Cube, further to Brad's post, main difference between Indian and British Indian is that most "traditional" British restaurant curries aren't actually Indian. :blink: They were adapted from Indian favourites but the original wave of "Indian" restaurants were started up by Bangladeshi immigrants who arrived in the UK following independence and the war with Pakistan, and most of them came from the Bangladesh city of Sylhet for some specific reason that escapes me at the moment. Aussie Indian restaurants on the other hand tend to serve North Indian style curries.

Perfect example of Bangla deshis getting it wrong is the mighty Vindaloo. This came from Goa in Southern India and the word is from the Portuguese Vinho D'ahlo (sp?) that means vinegar and garlic. The Bangladeshi chefs mistakenly thought that the "aloo" referred to potatoes, as that's their name in Hindi, so in the UK at any rate they often put potatoes in the vindaloo.

However all differ from traditional Indian curries in that they are made in bulk for fast service, not unlike Chinese food in food courts or takeaways isn't much like Chinese people would eat at home. Indian "authentic" curries would be made by the ladies of the house and they have all day to prepare and cook, whilst street food is made by men. They are also overwhelmingly vegetarian or based on fish. There's a huge variety, Rick Steins India is a brilliant intro, as is Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Nation if you can track down episodes.

Edit: however as the forum grows there's a subforum for "traditional" recipes that members can post in. I"m particulary interested in Southern Indian and Sri Lankan curries. Also there's a continuing quest to find out what's in that bright yellow stuff with the mystery lumps that you get in Chinese restaurants as "curry" and which is totally delicious :icon_drool2:
Thanks, that is what I was after.

I'm a member of the site now and about to have a good look around. My name, and quite appropriate I thought, is 'Muncher'.

:lol:

I love a good spicy Indian curry but looking at the ingredient list of a standard Curry is pretty intimidating.

mattymcfatty said:
I love a good spicy Indian curry but looking at the ingredient list of a standard Curry is pretty intimidating.
Not really. I have all the spices on hand and its not much. Ginger in the freezer at all times. I grow my own now I use so much. Just plant it like hops and watch it grow. The foliage looks great as well. It only takes as long as you can chop onions and ginger to make a raw base, maybe after a few goes at it anyway. Whilst the spices are toasting do the chopping.

You can skip the toasting to start with as just mix it all into the pan however toasting does bring the best out of the spices, even old spices get a lift when toasted.

Cool...I'll have to get a recipe and maybe dedicate a saturday arvo to it....less stressful than midweek

Gordon Ramsay did a pretty good series on Indian food a couple years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just joined up as sp0rk
Coming into cooler months and trying to eat healthier, time for a metric shitload of curries :D

I once worked in an Indian restaurant. The way they make curries is nothing like in the cookbooks or the tv shows with celeb chefs. One thing that got me is how people say you need to grind your spices fresh and toast them. They never do that in the restaurant and their food is still fantastic.

Bangla people would traditionally eat vegetarian or fish for a few reasons, the main ones being proximity to the ocean compared to the rest and the most elaborate cooking being done for the elites and the priests, who are traditionally religious Brahmans or Kshatriyas (priests or fighters), and for religious reasons shun meat. Seafood is considered a vegetable in Bengal.

I had a Bengali friend in Seniour college and his mum made the hottest bloody food I'd ever eaten! Jam packed with spices. When I roamed the streets of London I had a hankering for Indian food having largely gone without for nearly six months. The spice profile was about the same, just milder.

What I also believe has led to the whole 'gravy' mindset with Indian cooking is that Bengalis tend to eat rice more than any other carb, and somewhat sticky fat grain rice at that. This requires a curry with gravy to soften that blow. In the north and the central north you'd find more dry sabji - vegetables - or dal - lentils or beans in syrupy gravy that goes better with drier firmer basmati rice or roti. And every dish has it's spices, some dishes would taste weird with onions or garlic in them. Certain green herbs are milder in flavour and you'd do no more than cook them with butter and chilli and salt. Also, how much you cook in an open pan vs how much you cook lidded makes a big difference to the tenderer foods.

Steve said:
Thanks for the link Bribie.

Will have a look. I still on the search for the perfect Vindaloo. Got the butter chicken down pat now thanks for a Queenslader on CRO. Froget his name. Was on CRO for a while but they were quite a clicky bunch.

Cheers
Steve
Pat Chapman - founder of The Curry Club has a book called Vindaloo & other hot curries. The recipes are traditional & IMO fantastic.

professional_drunk said:
I once worked in an Indian restaurant. The way they make curries is nothing like in the cookbooks or the tv shows with celeb chefs. One thing that got me is how people say you need to grind your spices fresh and toast them. They never do that in the restaurant and their food is still fantastic.
I suspect that the turnover of spices in an Indian restaurant is pretty high, freshness probably doesn't become an issue for them.
I think if you are keeping spices in the cupboard for months or even years then it might be a problem.

I mentioned this site on a previous curry thread - http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?action=forum
It's another great resource for British Curry fans.

Lamb Vindaloo for us tonight.

Went to Sri Lanka last year found the curries have a lot more heat than the Indian curries.
As for British Indian curries is it true that Tikka Masala was invented in Glasgow when a Glaswegian asked for gravy?

wide eyed and legless said:
Went to Sri Lanka last year found the curries have a lot more heat than the Indian curries.
As for British Indian curries is it true that Tikka Masala was invented in Glasgow when a Glaswegian asked for gravy?
It's true that Chicken Tikka Masala is a British dish made for the meat and gravy mentality.

Was it invented in Glasgow? A big call, wars have been fought for less....

Apparently someone asked for gravy and they made some out of ground cashews and a tin of Campbells tomato soup. Or so the legend has it :unsure:

Back