Brisbane International Big Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a great afternoon at Jgriffin's with the Brisbane brewers. Snow will have some good pictures. In the mean time here are a couple. The flick by Jgriffin (attempting to correct a slow sparge) and the boil. A enjoyable afternoon of talking beer with good people, a little trading and wide range of delicious beers to taste.

bigbrewdayJohngivesitaflick.jpg

bigbrewday2005theboil.jpg

Thanks to everyone that turned up. Hope you all had an enjoyable time.
Well we all learnt a few things during the brew day yesterday.
I learnt that a stuck sparge in from of a dozen ag brewers is somewhat embarrasing.
Also learnt that my new CFWC works a treat, and i need to put some markings on my new boiler.
Nothing like doing your largest ever brew, with all new equipment in front of other brewers....

Had a fantastic day John - Don't remember too much after I got home, seems I passed out fairly quickly - LOL.

Tried some great beers :chug: - Hoops LCPA was sooo hoppy, lovely - Snows Witbier was equally memorable & Steves Belguim Ale (I think?) with the wonderful banana on the pallete was outstanding... I didn't taste a bad beer all day - can't wait for us Brizzy guys to do an Xmas case, salivating already... :party:

I meant to also say it was great trying everyone's beers - it really opened my eyes to the possiblilities of AG brewing - and now my kit beers taste crappy :D

So I spent the morning looking at drink coolers for a mash tun today - can't find a nice round 40L one... but it'll happen I hope. Maybe I'll come across one second hand.

Anyway, all excited to get into AG now - just need my kegs to get here and away we go :D

Matt

The advice and motivation is already paying off. Just simple things like to wind the discs away from the air intake on the 4 ring low pressure burner so air can mix with the gas, producing a blue flame instead of the yellow sooty flame that I had come to expect :).

Jason

It was a good day for sure. Great to meet some AHB regulars and put faces to names - and try some amazing brews. Standouts for me were Ross's Oktoberfest, Porter, bitters, pretty much everything Ross brought! Steve's Bavarian Hefeweizen (the banana one) was up there, too. Learned a few tricks about AG and had some great yarns. A good day all round and can't wait to catch up again at Ross's. Hopefully we'll have a few nicely conditioned bottles of the Imperial Rye IPA to bring along!

I'll post some photos of the day when my film is finished (sorry It wasn't digital).

Cheers - Snow.

Some pics of the brew. First one is 12 hours after pitching, second is 24hours after pitching. Note the colour of the airlock in the second. For a 19L beer, i'm impressed that it hit the airlock.

day0.jpgday1.jpg

Some nice photos so far, guys. It seems your pics are a little more... on topic than ours were.

After talking to a few of the other Brisbane brewers about burners I think I will have to bring my NASA burner along to the next brew day.
It truly is an experience in itself, although we wouldn't be able to stand around it talking when it is fully cranked up! B)

Hoops

Woops, thought I'd already replied on this thread :ph34r:
Was a great day to meet up with everyone, a few of the regulars and some new faces too, good to see.
Even with the brewing problems encountered during the day it seems we may have converted at least one brewer to AG, good on ya Matt!

All the beers were great, there wasn't a bad one there, was just a pity I had to drive at the end of the day :( Having a Wit in the fermenter at the moment means Snows Wit sticks firmly in my memory, very nice. Again nice beers Ross and a nice little keg setup, might have to investigate down that road myself. Also remember Nonicman had a nice beer too - brown ale?

Good to finally put a few more faces to names although I'm sure we'll see most of those faces again at the next brew day........Ross???

Thanks to John for hosting the day and providing a feed and teaching us all the "flick sparge" method.

Hoops

Seems that my manifold doesn't like having 9kg of grain with 1.5kg of rye malt "glue" added into the mash.
Calling the sparge stuck doesn't do it justice. It ended up taking around 1.5 hours to sparge.. during which several tricks were tried to increase the flow rate.

Ross demonstrated how to use a bit of suction to get the flow happening, i was flicking the tube to try to get the air bubles to move up the tubing.

I finally got the film developed from the brew day:

Steve_1a.jpg
Ross, Mobrien, ?, Nonicman and Steve Catchpoole

Steve_2a.jpg
Jgriffin demonstrating his now famous "flick" method!

Steve_3a.jpg
Ross explaining to Steve that although he wears Belgian beer shirts, he only drinks English bitters.

Steve_4a.jpg
Hoops and Nonicman raising a toast to all the Aussie Homebrewers.

Steve_5a.jpg
Jgriffin, Hoops, Nonicman, Snow and Ross taking a load off. Ross is asleep after drinking a middie of my tripel :rolleyes:

Steve_6a.jpg
Jgriffin beginning the long, slow, arduous, stuck, sparge.....

Steve_7a.jpg
Hoops in the middle of his evangelical tyrade over how rich he's going to get from selling sodastream adaptors.

And a good day was had by all!

Cheers - Snow

Annual? I think we should make it weekly! :D

- Snow

Tidalpete said:
Snow said:
Annual? I think we should make it weekly! :D

- Snow
[post="62150"][/post]​

Quarterly Brisbane Big Brew Days might well be the way to go ? :beer:
[post="62158"][/post]​

Quarterly sounds good to me Tidalpete , count me in for the next one

Batz

Yep, I'd be in on that - given I can stay awake ;) ...

And perhaps not always in Brizzy? :p

Perhaps a few in the outer brewery type places? :rolleyes:

Batz

Back