Brewing With Lager Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter

Reaction score
I am currently brewing with a wyeast Bavarian lager yeast at 12-14 deg.
I have read somewhere on this forum that lager yeast needs to be brought up to a higher temp.once fermentation is finished.
What is the reason for this , and should i do this before or after racking to
secondry?

you need to let the fermenter warm up to room temp, around 20C. Do this when the ferment at lager temps has nearly finished. leave fermentera t room temp for up to 3 days, then rack in stick in very cold fridge.

Purpose is to let yeast in cake and suspended clean up diacetyl (and I think DMS) before beer is placed at lagering temp where yeast works only very very slowly.

BTW, if you can, ferment lagers at 8-10c

Jovial Monk

Can you have the rest after CC, or will you lack the yeast content in your brew?

Sorry to bring up an old thread...

I am about to do a bavarian lager out of the coopers kit, as yet I do not have a brew fridge so I have to rely on other means to keep the fermenter cool. The Pale ale I had just finished I had in a contianer similar to one of those black recycle tubs, had some water in the bottom and kept putting in frozen PET bottles to keep it around 18-20C

By putting in more frozen items I could probably keep it to around 16 or so I'de reckon...but would this mean the end result would be pretty ordinary or it wouldnt really be that bad?

Keen to hear some results before I start brewing it!

rodderz said:
Sorry to bring up an old thread...
[post="46010"][/post]​

Thats OK :D

rodderz said:
By putting in more frozen items I could probably keep it to around 16 or so I'de reckon...but would this mean the end result would be pretty ordinary or it wouldnt really be that bad?

Keen to hear some results before I start brewing it!
[post="46010"][/post]​

This answer is going to be a "it depends" answer. What yeast are you using? If it is the one from under the lid, then temperature range should be fine.

If you are going to make it better and use a true lager liquid yeast (there are probably some dry ones that will do a good job too, I just don't know their numbers), then they need to ferment around 13C max. There is another liquid yeast which is Wyeast 2112 or Whitelabs 001 (Californian yeast), then that is happy to ferment up around 20C, but gives a very good lager characteristic at 18C.

Any more questions, just ask

Hope this helps
Pedro

Thanks Pedro

The brew will be done as per the Coopers instructions, with the yeast supplied. It's only my 3rd brew, and as I havent the fridge yet I dont think i'll risk going to better quality ingredients and not having the temperture control to make them work properly, and spoiling the brew.

I guess another good idea is to keep an eye on the weather and make sure the house wont get too hot during ferment

rodderz said:
Thanks Pedro

The brew will be done as per the Coopers instructions, with the yeast supplied. It's only my 3rd brew, and as I havent the fridge yet I dont think i'll risk going to better quality ingredients and not having the temperture control to make them work properly, and spoiling the brew.

I guess another good idea is to keep an eye on the weather and make sure the house wont get too hot during ferment

By using better ingredients you can only improve the taste :) May not end up as good as brewing in completely top conditions with only top elements, but it'll be better than the basic kit :)

Also, the next 3 days in Melbourne are going to be above 30, so wait a little.

I'm kind of in the same boat, the missus doesn't want the smell in the house, and I don't have a fridge (wouldn't help with ales anyway) so I have to do the initial fermentation outside (I can do the racking and second fermentation in house though, as there is little smell by then). I think Wednesday night a cool change is forecast, then a few days in the lower 20s, should be a good time :)
http://www.bom.gov.au (and http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDV10450.txt for melbourne metro) is your friend :)

I may even keep the Bavarian till later in the year and try it with some better lager yeast and some hops. For now I might go and grab a bitter or ale kit as the weather factor wont be as hard as it will be on a lager

Latest posts

Back