Brewing "myth-busting"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krozbolt

Reaction score
I've just bought 3 new fermenters with the idea of brewing the same beer 3 times at once and changing things slightly in each one.

For my first experiment, i am going to test boiling a kit through the hot-break vs bringing up to before the boil vs adding the contents directly to the fermenter as per instructions.

I would like suggestions on what other "myths" may be tested. Any ideas?
I will post results here and may even do a video of each one.

Adding a kilo of plain sugar is ok :)

Using one pack of yeast compared to two packets of yeasts.

Creating a starter of yeast from a packet or at least re-hydrating it.

Steering at the barrel intensely make it ferment faster.

Different temps mate - experiment with one at 18, one at 22 and one at 24 deg ferment.

I doubt you would be able to have 3 different temps controlled (would you?), so the easiest (and best) experiment would be same beer with 3 different dried yeasts...let's say it's a standard kit.

Us-05
S-04
Nottingham/Windsor/Swiss Lager

I've just bought 3 new fermenters with the idea of brewing the same beer 3 times at once and changing things slightly in each one.

For my first experiment, i am going to test boiling a kit through the hot-break vs bringing up to before the boil vs adding the contents directly to the fermenter as per instructions.

What "myths" are you trying to break here? I'm not sure what exactly it is you are trying to do.

I'm sure with judicious use of the search function you will find most of the answers to your queries. Brewing is over 8,000 years old. There's not that many secrets to it.

What "myths" are you trying to break here?
Well, the first one seems to be the assumption that tins of goop don't have any hot break.

Let's face it. Your trying to diguise your obsession for brewing more beer under the guise of "research"..... aren't you :ph34r: ?

You've been a member since '07 and 1st post today! You're a quiet bugger, Mick.
Cheers.

Ferment them in three different rooms, in each room set up a stereo and play a different genre of music to each one. My picks would be 80's Hair Metal, Norse Death Metal and maybe some Justin Beiber?

Let's face it. Your trying to diguise your obsession for brewing more beer under the guise of "research"..... aren't you :ph34r: ?
lol .. maybe he is .. but it's a good idea!

kids .. come and watch your old man do some science .. just like Adam and Jammie

It is a very good excuse. But also no matter what happens, i still end up with 3 batches of beer at the end of it!

I have just started brewing again after a 3 year hiatus, decided to make my experience a bit more interactive.

The answers may all be in this forum i agree but this should be an entertaining way to re-visit them (for me at very least).

Mick Maybe add hops at 10 min, steeped and dry after say 4 days across the fermenters to see which hopping you like.

What "myths" are you trying to break here? I'm not sure what exactly it is you are trying to do.

Surely to get the cheapest brew with no change in taste?

Yeast would be the easiest: eg: kit, muntons, windsor.

"Phantastic" idea! I guess your going to end up with a hell of a lot of beer to dispose of and if you need a hand, let me know your address. I'm sure I could assist in some small way.

Ferment them in three different rooms, in each room set up a stereo and play a different genre of music to each one. My picks would be 80's Hair Metal, Norse Death Metal and maybe some Justin Beiber?

Norwegian Death Metal?
Now that's an odd thing to listen to in Australia!

Assume you are talking of TurboNegro with albums like " Hot Cars and Spent Contraceptives" and the hit "Bad Mongo" with Hank von Helvete?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbonegro

up_turbonegro1_lg.jpg

I have Hkon Moslet`s book about their band.
Let's just say some things happening in the dark, Norwegian countryside should have stayed there..

;)

Bjorn

haha go turbonegro love there song all my friends are dead. hank from hell haha good name :p

That was gonna be my suggestion.

Norse Metal is a good suggestion, Berlin doof doof and some QLD country music.

What about hot side aeration? Splash one fermenter around with a few litres of boiling water for 5 minutes. Mix one kit with hot water and DME until mixed then add cold water to pitching temp. Mix one kit and DME with cooled water, ready for fermentation.

Wyeast 1056 vs WLP001 vs US-05

Use two fermenters lambic styles. Then attempt to clean and sanitise one with napisan and iodophor and one with PBW and Starsan. The third not having been in contact with brett is the control.

Fantastic idea. I would be keen to see the difference between the kit yeast and a premium yeast!

Also perhaps test the difference in clarity through racking, crash chilling etc.

I have 5 fermenters at the moment....but i dont think i can spare any of them for tests! haha B)

I can only have two fermenters temperature controlled. I am wondering how you would do three in this heat.

And for the record, I would reclassify the stuff as black metal, as opposed to death metal, and play it Transilvanian Hunger on repeat.

ED: SP

I would also try a damp tea towel over the first fermenter with cling wrap over the other and the original lid on the third fermenter and see what the results are.

Report back your findings to Speedie as he is the most experienced brewer on this site. Although you may have trouble interpreting his opinions, unless you are fluent in garbage. :icon_cheers:

Why would you want to boil a kit? It's already had the crap boiled out of it twice: once during the normal mashing/boiling/whirlpooling process and again during the vacuum extraction process that turns it into extract.

Ref coopers site.

Back