Brew shed flooring

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
Hell, just go to your local sheet metal guy and get a drop in stainless tub the full size of the floor with 100mm sides. and sit that on the floor.

Ok it may not be cheep, but it will be bulletproof and never leak, but you would need some rubber non slip mats
Dam right fella.

We've supplied the odd flashing and rolled section in stainless. Roughly six times the cost of gal.

Sure look the business though, Check out this guys setup.

17_new-autopsy-room-daniel-ciprian-001.jpg

Dave70 said:
Dam right fella.

We've supplied the odd flashing and rolled section in stainless. Roughly six times the cost of gal.

Sure look the business though, Check out this guys setup.

17_new-autopsy-room-daniel-ciprian-001.jpg
he makes a stiff beer that fella

Ducatiboy stu said:
I know what sort of room that is :ph34r:
Liposuction clinic yeah?

Benn said:
Agree with the above.
James Hardie 'Scyon Secura'
Lighter than compressed sheet, Installs similar to yellow tongue, Can be sealed,painted,tiled,whatever. Designed for your intended application. priced OK as well.
I use it in favor of yellow tongue+tile underlay in wet areas for extra piece of mind should a leak occur.

+1 for sycon (or 15mm compressed sheeting if want to lift heavy stuff.) totally waterproof and easy to lay.. then lay whatever covering you feel like over the top.
we built our new bathroom on compressed (barstard to cut). and our back tiled entertaining deck on sycon,
my wife is a chippy and she says no way to chipboard/resin, too much effort when there are better products on the market.

lost at sea said:
+1 for sycon (or 15mm compressed sheeting if want to lift heavy stuff.) totally waterproof and easy to lay.. then lay whatever covering you feel like over the top.
we built our new bathroom on compressed (barstard to cut). and our back tiled entertaining deck on sycon,
my wife is a chippy and she says no way to chipboard/resin, too much effort when there are better products on the market.
Good advice from the above and Benn,Scyon is about $110:00 per 450x 2700 mm sheet ( ball park price ). You can cut it using a standard circular saw and blade but it gates messy.
Grab a manufacturers installation sheet and go for it , bung a floor trap in the middle for major spills then slap some cheap vinyl on the floor for style,or tile if your keen.
I do not recommend using " chipboard " flooring as in this application it would be a waste of money and cause too much upset down the track.
A. You would need to seal both faces to stop moisture and shite becoming ingrained in the flooring. Don't want that in the brewery.
B. You would need at least 150 mm clearance above the ground for air flow underneath to minimise mould and rot, 300mm would be much better but then you would need to fit slats around the outside for appearance and that adds $.
C. I bloody hate particle board flooring.
D. Your choice

Cheers....spog....

Wouldn't touch chipboard shit with a barge pole, you will hate it and be replacing it down the track,
Use compressed sheeting and epoxy, tile or vinyl over it.
Epoxy is what i would use and should easily last 10+ years and quite cost effective

Awesome thread. Even though I didn't ask the question this sucker is solidly in the files. Cheer guys :party:

can confirm that putting some thoughts into drainage is a good idea.

There is a product out there that is spray on rubber, great for sealing corners and or anything, all the timber in my wet area got a can or two and its brilliant stuff.

Rust-oleum Leak Seal - Flexible rubber coating

I used to do water proofing on floors for food preparation, hospitals, laboratory, etc..
I'd recommend you use a self leveling high build two pack epoxy. If you have some spare funds you can also get adhesive coving for around the walls and a drain for the middle of the floor. That way your work area will be completely "tanked" and and spills and normal brewing mess is simple to wash into the drain (or brush up).
Just make sure you seal all gaps in the floor before hand or half your epoxy floor will pour through the gaps.
Good luck.

If the shed is built over the ground is there any requirement to stop creating areas where rats can thrive .

Yep don't spill any wort.
Maybe a better idea if he is going to be spilling as much as people imagine he will be doing, is to brew on the deck and make a cool room of what was to be the shed.

Thanks for all the idea guys. Am definitely considering a floor drain. I'm plumbing in a sink so I might as well... Just wasn't sure what flooring option I'd end up going for. In regards to the rats or insects, I'm filling in the frame with crushed rock. Haven't got loads to spend on this so I'm thinking the compressed sheet with some vinyl for now, then I can look at tiling it later.

Compressed sheeting be careful if cutting the dust can be a health hazard.

Latest posts

Back