Brew shed flooring

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneEye

Reaction score
So I've been given the go-ahead to build a garden shed in the back, with swmbo knowing full well it will be more brew shed than anything else. I'm building it myself with my old man so have the luxury of customising it a bit. First thing to consider is the flooring. I can't do a concrete slab so it will be on joists and bearers (extension of a deck) given the inevitable spillages and moisture... What should I consider for flooring? I was thinking fibro cement sheeting, or would yellow tongue with a vinyl covering suffice?

if you do it deck style you could just keep the wood sealed and the gaps would allow it to breathe and dry
if you don't use a deck style then a collection area that can subsequently drain for spillages and also to hose down is something to think about
obviously concrete with bundage and a slope to a drain is probably the best so yeah

i guess you could treat some pine and then cover it with vinyl - again make it slope to somewhere where the water/liquid can drain if poss

good luck - and pics or it didn't happen

I like the decking idea. You could do the decking in your wet area and chipboard for the rest. You'd have to sort out the under-floor drainage though.

[SIZE=11pt]Could you not do a suspended concrete slab on its own footings, does it need to be an extension of the deck? If so are you sure the existing deck footings can take the extra load of a shed/brewery? [/SIZE]

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1459468094.862383.jpg

Going in this corner... Already have the foundation down. Will be running some pipes and electrical from the bottom. Another reason I wanted to avoid concrete. Treated pine decking sounds like a good idea

The chipboard flooring is already treated, easy to lay and you won't be getting any wee beasties getting in through any gaps, depends on how much spillage you think you might get.

You mean sealed in the tongue and groove join stu?

Also, I anticipate much spillage BUT I have been known to do stupid things like fill the kettle/mash tun/fermenter with the tap open

Do it pro and do a chip board floor, a waterproof membrane (epoxy as per stu) and then tile it on top.

You can do without the tiles, but it will look rather snazzy.

Wood, unless sealed, will absorb yeasties and you can easily infect an entire brewery this way.

A slightly more expensive alternative would be a composite plastic wood decking material. Will not absorb liquids and are pretty robust vs chemicals. Don't need to reseal and you can get in wider boards. Often "end of run" specials on ebay.

One benefit will be that it allows airflow under the floor and if you want to channel out spills / water you could fit up some hard plastic under the tiles and create a sump.

Second different option is rubber flooring, as used in boats, hospitals, gyms etc. You can buy in a roll and lay over a flat surface. It's totally chem resistant, you could PBW it to really clean it. example:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RUBBER-ROLL-FLOORING-BLUE-FLECK-8MM-X-1M-PREMIUM-GRADE-RUBBER-FLOORING-/171135387375?hash=item27d876c6ef:g:IV8AAOxy5rpSQm-L

Personally i think wet area chipboard plus the hassle of having to properly seal, which is at least 3 coats of a good membrane and then a surface layer is a lot more work.

+1 for tiles.

Go to a tile ship and just get the cheapest ones they have. You might get some clearance stock pretty cheap.. Get he big 450x450 ones, easier to lay. Get enough to go 1/2 - 1 tile up the wall.

The right way to floor a wet area is compressed fibro and avoid any fretting about rotting or leaks. Basically liquid nail the joists, lay it and its job done. If you're extra keen, Fibre Teks make short work of screwing down.
Finish it off with some textured paving paint so you don't slip arse over tip when you flood the joint after leaving the fermenter tap open and you're good to go.

Agree with the above.
James Hardie 'Scyon Secura'
Lighter than compressed sheet, Installs similar to yellow tongue, Can be sealed,painted,tiled,whatever. Designed for your intended application. priced OK as well.
I use it in favor of yellow tongue+tile underlay in wet areas for extra piece of mind should a leak occur.

Hell, just go to your local sheet metal guy and get a drop in stainless tub the full size of the floor with 100mm sides. and sit that on the floor.

Ok it may not be cheep, but it will be bulletproof and never leak, but you would need some rubber non slip mats

Latest posts

Back