Brew Or Wait?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_dazza27

Reaction score
Going away over christmas and just wondering if it's better to leave cracked grain in the bag for another 2 weeks or mash/boil and leave in a cube for a 2 weeks until i get home?

Going away over christmas and just wondering if it's better to leave cracked grain in the bag for another 2 weeks or mash/boil and leave in a cube for a 2 weeks until i get home?

either way should be fine.

With the cracked grain, if it's vacuum sealed to keep the moisture out and kept cool it'll be fine.

As for the Cube, no worries there either. I've left cubes for 9 months without problems. Again just make sure it's sealed up.

Third option is let it ferment in the time that you're away. 2 weeks in primary is fine.

With the cracked grain, if it's vacuum sealed to keep the moisture out and kept cool it'll be fine.

As for the Cube, no worries there either. I've left cubes for 9 months without problems. Again just make sure it's sealed up.

Third option is let it ferment in the time that you're away. 2 weeks in primary is fine.

Agreed. Although if you are brewing, make sure you've got the fermentation temp sorted out and perhaps get someone to check on it every now and again to make sure the temp is being maintained.

Thanks guys,

Grain isn't vacuum sealed.

I guess i meant, would the brew lose it's freshness doing it either way? Or is the couple of weeks too small a timeframe to make any noticeable difference?

Get it into a fermenter and it will be good to bottle/keg/condition when you get home.

Drew

I should've mentioned i have no temp control apart from frozen bottles in a switched off fridge.

I put in an order for a tempmate from Santa.

Looks like i'll just get in a cube if this has no ill effects.

Thanks guys,

I guess i meant, would the brew lose it's freshness doing it either way? Or is the couple of weeks too small a timeframe to make any noticeable difference?

If wort loses anything from sitting in a cube then I have to have a look at my brewing processes.

Cubing has slightly more chance of ending up with a wasted batch due to infection if not done correctly. Cracked grain has slightly more chance of losing freshness if not stored correctly. Fermenting while you are away has slightly more chance of ending up with off flavours due to temperature if not done correctly.

Assuming you're comfortable with no chilling to a cube, that's what I would be doing in this case.

Thanks guys,

No vac sealing necessary. Go to any supermarket and get yourself some of those extra large snapseal bags. I use a brand called Hercules for my crushed grain that's sold at Woolworths but I think Glad also make them. Pop the crushed grain in, and seal it up. I have crushed grain from time to time and left it for 5-6 weeks this way with no issues at all. Some previous threads mention people having crushed grain sealed up for two months without issue.

Leaving a wort cube of lager/pils for two weeks if the weather is hot would be more of a worry in my opinion (if you're brewing ale, amber or dark you will be right either way as others say). More chance of spoilage in a cube if it's a pale beer and it's not stored away from heat of temp fluctuations. The light beers are pretty unforgiving on masking any subtle flavour abnormalities so I'd be less inclined to take chances there.

Hopper.

Latest posts

Back