Brew In A Bucket Why Not Indeed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ChasingItsTail.jpg

Yes Dr Smurto, I found out to my horror that the Bunnings Handy Pail will slide nicely into the Queen brand pail and lock into it at the top to give a perfect double walled bucket in bucket. Oh no, experiment #5 coming on, except that I'll have to buy a new Queen and a new Handy Bucket as the Queen has already been destroyed by drilling ... oh will it never end ... feel free to shoot me.

:lol:

Ok,

Same old - grain crushed

millingLarge.jpg

Sort of same old - fit the bag/ malt pipe - I've just used 24L of strike liquor here as I'm going to sparge later. Fck yeah.

liquorLarge.jpg

Now as the Welsh would say, there's interesting - I've arranged for the mash in the inner vessel to be at 64 degrees but the outer layer of liquor between the urn wall and the malt pipe is at 66 degrees. So I should get far better insulation of the main mash (which is a bit thicker as well of course)

doughinLarge.jpg

mashLarge.jpg

Same old - wrapped up for an hour with the mash surface covered with bubblewrap for extra insulation

Time for a Yorkie and stroll out to look at the moon, piccie taken from my front driveway:

moonoverBribieLarge.jpg

:beerbang:

Why do people buy march pumps when gravity does the same thing for free?????????????????????

Lol @ capt obvious.

PS: Bribie. You are already drilling holes and collecting more vessels, purchasing electric elements..... Hehe. Some prophecy ;)

Hey bribie any reason you didn't put the lid on the handy pail during the mash?

Hey bribie any reason you didn't put the lid on the handy pail during the mash?

I christen this "The ******* enhancement #1"

:p

edit: you do realise of course that you are talking to the man who forgot to take his friggn BIAB bag to the systems war day <_<

Haha, yeah I was thinking it'd be good for keeping the temp inside it constant.

EDIT: Yeah I watched that video, pretty funny. Loved your plugging of craft brewer too (did you get kick backs?)

Ok while we are waiting for the enzymes to do their thang, the recipe today is a mega for some family stuff coming up between now and Xmas - nothing too fancy and I've deliberately chosen a fairly light grain bill for #1. I've noted that some of the commercials use roast barley to carefully colour up some of their lagers nowadays, especially the "guaranteed pure ingredients" beers from XXXX and Tooheys. I seem to remember a certain Abbotsford brewer mentioning RB as well, although a lighter version.

Carlton Clone

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 21.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.515
Total Hops (g): 20.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.052 (P): 12.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (P): 2.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.36 %
Colour (SRM): 4.7 (EBC): 9.3
Bitterness (IBU): 21.3 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.000 kg Pilsner Barrett Burston (88.59%)
0.500 kg Maltose Syrup Chinese (11.07%)
0.015 kg Roasted Barley (0.33%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20.0 g Pride of Ringwood Leaf (9.8% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 64C for 60 Minutes.
Mashout with immersion element 78C

Fermented at 15C with Wyeast Danish Lager yeast

Water treatment gypsum and epsom salts

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

So I guess you're trying to see if you'll have better efficiency with brew in a bucket rather than enhanced BIAB ?

I think efficiency would be about the same, but would probably produce clearer wort and make sparging a lot easier.

Ok, mash and sparge done. My hunch about the temperature loss was correct, I got NO temp drop at all in the main mash in the pail.

recircLarge.jpg

Hoisted a wee bit and recirculated using jug, but it was not much of a success, this was about the best I got.

recircsampleLarge.jpg

I think the problem is that with the pail submerged in the urn there wasn't much of a grain bed firming up as it was all just billowing around. I'll definitely do this again next brew and try more or less what I did in the Lauter Tun version, hoist the pail right up and let it form a bed then start recircing and sparging.

I skippped the mashout as I was keen to proceed, then hoisted up further and sparged with about 6L that I'd reserved from the start. However at the end, the last dribbling spargings were still at around 1025 <_<

hoistLarge.jpg

Anyway, boil on. And so far comments re bag vs pail are:

Far better temperature stability in mash
Far easier to handle a pail instead of a bag, but must have a skyhook
Some advantages in clarity
Bag is cheaper outlay initially

So let's check on efficiency later on :icon_cheers:

Are you recircing during the mash? I think that's the way to go if you are using a malt-pipeesque setup

Latest posts

Back