Brew In A Bucket Why Not Indeed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think the trick would be to raise the bucket until you end up with a thicker mash, then essentially use a fly sparge type setup to recirc the mash

Essentially braumeister in reverse

Yes that's what I'll do next time, but lets see what the efficiency and yield is for this batch. The jugging recirc didn't do much, I think for this sytem to work properly a pump is a must.

Bribie, I was kinda hoping for a different conclusion re: jugging the recirc...

As per another thread, I've inherited a bucket-in-bucket system and was planning on "manual recirc" to keep the mash temp constant or for ramping up during a step mash.

Still keen to see/read more results over time :)

Cheers,
Shred.

Bribie, I was kinda hoping for a different conclusion re: jugging the recirc...

As per another thread, I've inherited a bucket-in-bucket system and was planning on "manual recirc" to keep the mash temp constant or for ramping up during a step mash.

Still keen to see/read more results over time :)

Cheers,
Shred.

Turn your outer bucket into a bucket of death and add a bag ;)

Done

Well done !
I did not, however, see any mention of the famous PAP-ZAP (two buckets one, the inner, with a shirt load of holes) and I have stories about that device..
My other point/question is..why all this bone-up about efficiency, not, of course, restricted to this thread but as an overall theme.
OK I am at the other end, if I bothered to check my efficiency it runs about 55% (my choice, my system is capable of 70+).
If an average batch at an average 75% uses 4.5Kg of grain ($13.50) the same at 50% uses 6kg ($18) and at super 100% 3kg ($9), the batch uses the same amount of yeast, the same amount of water to mash, the same amount of energy to boil and cool, there really is screw all cost difference, so ..why does a greater efficiency make a better beer, does it take less effort, does it save time?

K

If an average batch at an average 75% uses 4.5Kg of grain ($13.50) the same at 50% uses 6kg ($18) and at super 100% 3kg ($9), the batch uses the same amount of yeast, the same amount of water to mash, the same amount of energy to boil and cool, there really is screw all cost difference, so ..why does a greater efficiency make a better beer, does it take less effort, does it save time?

....and your definition of "efficient" is....??

I agree, but just pushing the envelope to see what's achievable. At the end of the day, if it involves chucking a bit more malt at the brew then that's fine - but as the TV ad for the Northern Territory says "if you never go you'll never know" :D
It's not just efficiency, it's exploring alternatives. Based on what I've found so far, I think I'd recommend the use of a bucket over a bag for anyone looking to get into AG. As suggested by Dave Line in the 1970s :eek:

OK, efficiency bang on 75%.
So to sum up, so far with this method we still have single vessel (think of the bucket as being a bag I suppose), far easier to handle than a wet bag, similar efficiency , same length of brew day.

I'll do my next brew with this system, but hoist the bucket first before trying recirc or sparging to see if I can get clearer wort so less crap in the kettle.

I'm definitely tending towards the BIAB / Lauter tun solution at the moment.

Trub recovery notes in the morning. :icon_cheers:

I don't have my bag yet, but do have a 20L mayo bucket. Am I right in thinking it needs a false bottom though? Not cheap.

I don't have my bag yet, but do have a 20L mayo bucket. Am I right in thinking it needs a false bottom though? Not cheap.

You could get away with lots of very small holes in the bucket

Tanga,

Look up Charlie Papizan's bucket in bucket/PAP ZAP on google or get the Joy of Home Brewing. you don't need a false bottom and is comparably simpler than all of this and has been around for 25-30 years.

Tanga,

Look up Charlie Papizan's bucket in bucket/PAP ZAP on google or get the Joy of Home Brewing. you don't need a false bottom and is comparably simpler than all of this and has been around for 25-30 years.
http://www.byo.com/stories/projects-and-eq...e-gear-for-beer

third pic down shows it, Tanga.
Bucket drilled with lots of tiny holes, sitting in another bucket with a tap in the bottom.
Some mention using a bag as well, but I never did and it still worked fine.
I used one for my first 10 or so AG's. Perfect cheap & easy start into AG'ing.

I'm planning on doing lots of small holes as well as fitting a mesh screen made from one of those stainless steel splatter guards. That should be a similar filter to a BIAB bag from what I understand.

Thanks so much for this thread bribie.

Hi Tanga,

Soon King Brown Brewing should be putting up the videos of our ghetto rig on the BABBs system wars brew day. The Scientist and I used the bucket in an bucket system and a bucket of death as a kettle. I think we inspired Bribie to try it out.

cheers

Browndog

As others have said, you don't need a false bottom, just a second bucket with plenty of small holes in it.

Interesting guys. Thanks. Something to think about for sure. Look forward to seeing some more of the bucket bag in action. Does it do a mash out?

PS what size drill bit = small?

PPS I like your splatterguard idea Mark. Please post pics when you've got her running.

/ hijack (sorry Bribe, very interesting)

Interesting guys. Thanks. Something to think about for sure. Look forward to seeing some more of the bucket bag in action. Does it do a mash out?

PS what size drill bit = small?

PPS I like your splatterguard idea Mark. Please post pics when you've got her running.

/ hijack (sorry Bribe, very interesting)
Unsure of hole size. Mine was actually a handme down through a few brewers. Pretty certain it was initially Stusters.
Going by the roughest guess in the world, a 1 or 2 mm drill bit. Google is your friend... i'm sure it's on internet land somewhere.
Drill hundreds of the buggers, and make sure you clean all the burrs off.

edit: 1/8 drill bit. (3mm drill bit)

Guys check out the ghetto system in the Babbs System Wars thread, there are videos of how the boys did it, and it was truly amazing what they could do for zero dollars.

Tanga straight from Papazian's The Joy of Home Brewing by googling:

Holes are 1/8 inch (3mm). You don't need any other inserts or strainers or bags etc.

OT: Can anyone tell me how show an image in the post?

View attachment papzap.bmp

abc - you need to "host" the image somewhere first. Photobucket is a free web hosting service. First you must save the image to your comp, then (after you make an account) upload it to photobucket. Then you copy the code given to you by p'bucket and paste it in your post. That displays the image.
It's really quite simple, easier than I made it sound.

Tanga, Mark the ghetto brew videos are now up on YouTube

A neat little trick would be to use a Queen brand bucket for the outer bucket and a Bunnings Handy Pail for the (drilled) inner bucket as they fit neatly around the top, almost as if they were made for each other, with a perfect little insulating space between the two of them. That and an electric kettle element, some means of drilling the holes for a tap and the element, and you're away for less than 50 bucks.

abc, Photobucket is easy, here's your bmp which I copied into my forum pics treasure trove on my local machine
Then fired up PB and uploaded
papzap1.jpg
Then when you hover over the pic it gives you a choice of codes to pick from,

papzap2.jpg

in this case I selected:

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv144/BribieG/papzap.jpg[/IM] (actually the last bit reads IMG but I deliberately crippled it so you could see the code :rolleyes: )and just pasted it into this post

Which gets displayed as:

[img]http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv144/BribieG/papzap.jpg

I did the same with the screen shots of course

Back