Brew Bright?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hydrating with a little cold water works a treat. Might have been MHB that put me on to that but no clumping or glugging and when I pour the suspension into the kettle the flocs form instantly. Much better than whirlfloc in that respect for me but I am yet sold on the supposed haze reduction. 1 month in the keg at 4 deg C it would be bright if it was ever going to be.

Got some the other day from Ross, can't wait, what dosage has everyone been using for best results?

First time was a teaspoon sprinkled on and it clumped, after that 2 teaspoon mixed with water is a treat, as noted, instant broth

Great stuff

Ed. Hows the little bobbie going mate?

For a 22 l batch i use 5 g in a little cold water, works well. Its very light and 5 g looks like a lot, i use my bop/ salt addn scales.

wow ive ben using 8g in a 50L batch. only just started to ferment them, havent really noticed a difference yet.

i use a heaped teaspoon in about 100ml boiled/cooled water and add it to the whirlpool
i found adding it earlier meant you were breaking up the big flocs and it didnt work quite as well..

whirlpool then pour it in slowly and its amazing how good it works, the flocs are huge and drop out really quick

i biab and this is how clear my lager ran from the kettle post chiller

lager.JPG

We've used in the brewery & can honestly say we see little difference in the kettle & have gone back to using Koppafloc.
If either products are equally fresh I don't believe you'll see much difference, but if you are using whirfloc or Koppafloc that you've had for a long time &/or maybe not stored ideally, I'm guessing you'll see a big difference.
It's still usefull as a combined kettle fining & haze reducing product, but we get better results using polyclar in the finished beer, so little point using a combined product in the boil as well.

cheers Ross

First time was a teaspoon sprinkled on and it clumped, after that 2 teaspoon mixed with water is a treat, as noted, instant broth

Great stuff

Ed. Hows the little bobbie going mate?

cheers mate, do you use a measuring spoon or is it more of a coffee type measurement!!

Ethan is going well, he joined us on the 13/02 (could be a sign), little bugger dreams like my dog, between the two of them it's hard to get any piece and quiet at night.... been talking to him about how to handle the mill handle, so should get a rest soon :icon_drunk:

We've used in the brewery & can honestly say we see little difference in the kettle & have gone back to using Koppafloc.
If either products are equally fresh I don't believe you'll see much difference, but if you are using whirfloc or Koppafloc that you've had for a long time &/or maybe not stored ideally, I'm guessing you'll see a big difference.
It's still usefull as a combined kettle fining & haze reducing product, but we get better results using polyclar in the finished beer, so little point using a combined product in the boil as well.

cheers Ross

That's interesting. From the first time I used Brewbrite I noticed a big improvement both in clarity from the kettle and in the final beer. My old post fermentation regime was to cold condition for a couple of days, then add Polyclar and allow another couple of days then gravity filter into the keg.

Since using Brewbrite I find the beer clears much faster post fermentation and I haven't needed to filter to clear the haze. The last few batches I've just racked onto gelatine to drop the yeast in the keg, I haven't bothered filtering at all and I think the beer is just as clear.

I'd go pour a beer and post a pic but my wife has some kind of witches coven involving makeup happening down that end of the house, I'm not even sure it's safe to be this close. :unsure:

cheers Ross

Ive got a 90g pack of polyclar in excellent condition, il let you have it for a good price! :p

I've been using Whirfloc with my BIAB brews but I recently won some brew bright in a brew club raffle so I'm going to give it a go.

Is it overkill to use both?

Will there be any negative side affects from using both?

no need to use both, way overkill

try the brewbrite but whirlpool first then pour the mix (slowly) into the whirlpool
doing it that way works better for me than whirlfloc as a kettle fining because its being poured into the already whirlpooled wort so your not breaking up the big flocs and it seems to settle a lot quicker

edit: when i run out of brewbrite ill still use the whirlfloc i have left over ill just crush it to powder and mix/use it the same way as above, i think the way you use it is probably more important than what you use

If you use both you won't know !
A lot of people use BrewBrite and swear by it, others find it ineffective.
Anyway, a bright does look good, and a well made beer will be bright in a few weeks, of course you have to wait, I choose not to wait and drink hazy beer, anyway with a shit load of Galaxy who cares if you are drinking an uncarbonated demon from the back of the shed !!!!

K

For those who came in late, the whole point of BrewBri(gh)t(e) is that it is a dual purpose kettle additive, consisting of a mix of carragheenan and PVPP. The first element flocs out the hot break, leading to clearer hot wort out of the kettle, and the PVVP flocs out polyphenols that can carry over into the finished beer and cause chill haze.

I like BB because, as pointed out above, if you add it right at the end of the boil, it flocs out big crumbs and flakes that head South very quickly. With Whirlfloc I didn't notice this happening and the continued 10 mins boil, if anything, tended to break up big flakes into smaller flakes, so why bother.

However the second component, in my experience, isn't always effective against chill haze, I've found. I almost always do ales nowadays and notice that some of them are a bit hazed at say 2 (say if I've got a bottle chilled in the fridge to take to a club) but nice and clear at serving temp of around 10. It's a bit hit or miss, some beers do this, others - such as my wheaties which I do serve very cold - don't seem to be affected.

MobywheatLarge.jpg

And none of this has anything to do with yeast haze which is best solved by a few days in the keg at most. I haven't used gelatine for a while.

I like BB because of its spectacular action in the kettle, and I still keep some Polyclar VT as an insurance policy only, for example if doing a comp beer which is going to be served cold. Otherwise the chill haze component is secondary to me.

Are punters still using this product? Or using whirlfloc + optionally something else?

I've just about ran out of the bulk supply I bought years ago.

I still use it and haven't found anything as good.
Mark

Use it faithfully and get the "instant breadcrumb soup" effect when I add it to the kettle at the end of boil.

+1

fantastic stuff!

Latest posts

Back