Brew Bright?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used it for years with great results, but be aware that it degrades over time even if kept refrigerated, so I'm careful not to buy too much at a time.
I reckon 6 months (refrigerated) is about the limit for maximum effect?
Can anyone else add anything to this statement?

All Brewman recipes include BrewBrite as standard.

TidalPete said:
Used it for years with great results, but be aware that it degrades over time even if kept refrigerated, so I'm careful not to buy too much at a time.
I reckon 6 months (refrigerated) is about the limit for maximum effect?
Can anyone else add anything to this statement?
really?

any details behind this, as I've just been keeping the bulk container i bought with the rest of my additions (not in the fridge)

I don't think temperature is the problem, more likely moisture absorbtion.

The two components are PVPP and kappa carrageenan, both absorb moisture and swell if given half a chance.

In the case of PVPP no further degradation results but of course the swollen material has lower activity per unit weight because the water does nothing.

The same applies to the carrageenan and there may be some additional degradation mechanism: since it's a polysaccharide it's conceivable that some organism can eat it. I don't know what could: the reason these marine polysaccharides evolved the way they did was that the organisms that form them are continually bathed in water so using structural polysaccharides which aren't degraded by common microorganisms is a good survival strategy.

Since nothing will touch either of them in the dry state if you keep the material in the recommended conditions you'll be OK.

The usual recommended shelf life for carrageenan is two years. PVPP would be longer. In cases like this the manufacturers are simply covering their arses, they know they'll last at least two years and their major clients are all keen on reducing inventory costs wherever possible so who carries more than a year's supply anyway?

SBOB said:
SBOB, on 07 Jan 2017 - 9:26 PM, said:

really?

any details behind this, as I've just been keeping the bulk container i bought with the rest of my additions (not in the fridge)
SBOB,

Noticed over time how the BB did not give those big. wide flakes in the kettle when chilling + that the cone of crap ( :lol: ) did not form as it usually did, resulting in more trub to the fermenter over the last few litres.
Not too worried about that but just saying, as everything has a best-by date as we well know, but happy to be corrected here.
Any information from anyone on this subject is good.

LC,

I keep my BB in a food-grade container with a couple of those moisture absorber sachets inside said container so perhaps ok there?

This is interesting as I have noticed the same thing over time.

Retailers buy BB in bulk and repackage it, how long does it sit on the shelf? I bet it's more than 6 months.

TidalPete said:
SBOB,

Noticed over time how the BB did not give those big. wide flakes in the kettle when chilling + that the cone of crap ( :lol: ) did not form as it usually did, resulting in more trub to the fermenter over the last few litres.
Not too worried about that but just saying, as everything has a best-by date as we well know, but happy to be corrected here.
Any information from anyone on this subject is good.

LC,

I keep my BB in a food-grade container with a couple of those moisture absorber sachets inside said container so perhaps ok there?
thanks

I bought a 150g jar from brewman, that comes in just normal screw top plastic containers
its over 12 mths old already (and still heaps left).. havent noticed any difference in performance (but i brew way less than most on here)

SBOB, I think you will find that the jar is pharmaceutical grade, there are cheaper alternatives but these are designed to give a very good seal and to be much less permeable to both oxygen and water, keeping the products in them in the best possible condition.
Mark

10 -15 grams /100 l
will last awhile 20170108_133039.jpg

Latest posts

Back