Brew boss

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Brew-Boss COFI filter is an exciting new patent pending technology that optimizes the efficiency of Brew-In-A-Bag (BIAB) type brewing

Hahaha love it!
How is that technology?

To lazy to put your own hops in, let the brew boss do it for you!

Wow you guy are too cynical! I just watched the video and reckon it looks like a goof piece of kit! Looks like you have heaps of control and I like that you can use an app to control it rather than clunky hardwired units.

Seriously has anyone looked into these?? as they are a cheap option to give you something like the braumiester controller and possibly a bit more by the looks of it. Pluss the app that talks to you :blink: . Ill confess i like a bit of a gadget, im tempted. And that mash method they are using how does that rate " COFI" ????

Looks like a good bit of kit.

The yanks are slowly but surely coming around to modern thoughts with relation to brewing.
It is good to see that at least some of them are moving from the 3v concept.

I like the controller and the hop adder. :)

I wonder if Beersmith will finally be re written to handle all these new 1v systems OR maybe someone like this guy will have a program written to suit brewing in this century :)

I've got a brilliant brewday program. It's in my brain and works quite well.
As long as I don't have too many to drink on brew day of course.

That's one of the most American control boxes I've ever seen.
The best idea of the whole setup isn't really promoted -

"When removing the filter, the filter is lifted by the lift ring. This brings the false bottom towards the fixed cover, allowing the weight of the filter to squeeze the grain. This squeezing action extracts much of the trapped sweet wort from the grain."

A simple, good idea in my books. Hopefully no particulate matter escapes in the process.

Yes, a good idea which could easily be repurposed for brauclones

dicko said:
Looks like a good bit of kit.

The yanks are slowly but surely coming around to modern thoughts with relation to brewing.
It is good to see that at least some of them are moving from the 3v concept.

I like the controller and the hop adder. :)

I wonder if Beersmith will finally be re written to handle all these new 1v systems OR maybe someone like this guy will have a program written to suit brewing in this century :)
Beersmith has had profiles for the Braumeister and Grainfather for some time now (as well as other branded Off-The-Shelf systems) and profiles for BIAB for a long time.

Would that method of re circulation clarify the wort as much as the braumeisters and grain fathers? As it's still BIAB in essence when you lift and squeeze the grain it would force the crud contained in the grain bed back out through the mesh?

NewtownClown said:
Beersmith has had profiles for the Braumeister and Grainfather for some time now (as well as other branded Off-The-Shelf systems) and profiles for BIAB for a long time.
Yes NC you are correct. The profiles that are there were supplied by a crosscut of brewers using these systems but the software falls short of being able to enter all the perameters for at least the BM which are entirely different to 3v equipment.
The BIAB full volume mash profile does work if you want to do a full volume mash, but at least on a BM if you choose this option then the mounting wing nut and hold down bar is immersed under 77 deg wort when you want to remove the malt pipe.

I am not sure if the above system is a full volume mash, if it is then you could use Beersmith's BIAB profile.
If it is not then a Beersmith user will be in the same situation a brewer using that software on a BM

There has been talk on other forums of software being written to suit these new systems.....so I guess it will happen one day. :)

TheWiggman said:
That's one of the most American control boxes I've ever seen.
The best idea of the whole setup isn't really promoted -

"When removing the filter, the filter is lifted by the lift ring. This brings the false bottom towards the fixed cover, allowing the weight of the filter to squeeze the grain. This squeezing action extracts much of the trapped sweet wort from the grain."

A simple, good idea in my books. Hopefully no particulate matter escapes in the process.
Yes, I agree, it means that for every brew the grain is "squeezed" exactly the same relative to the volume / grain weight, so there should be no variation, in theory at least, to achieve the same volume pre boil every time.

But wait, someone will argue that you should not squeeze the bag. :)

I like the idea but at $1,150 USD for the kit, you're much better off with a Grainfather IMO.

The mesh inner pot looks awesome.

Solves minimum volume problem with BM and clones. Basically you need a minimum volume of water to fill the malt pipe (grain also helps fill malt pipe) and over-flow to cover the heating element before you turn the pump on.

And possible hot side aeration if that problem exists in your universe. I'm not debating that with anyone.

A lot more filter area to help prevent stuck recirculations.

With the feet one raising the pipe off the pot base, you could use any run of the mill heating element instead of a custom bent element.

angus_grant said:

Solves minimum volume problem with BM and clones. Basically you need a minimum volume of water to fill the malt pipe (grain also helps fill malt pipe) and over-flow to cover the heating element before you turn the pump on.

And possible hot side aeration if that problem exists in your universe. I'm not debating that with anyone.

With the feet one raising the pipe off the pot base, you could use any run of the mill heating element instead of a custom bent element.

totally agree, I love the design of this. Once The Brauduino comes though from the current bulk buy I'll be getting a upgraded stainless pot (70-80L) and was thinking of a mash basket along these lines anyway but I think this is better then I had planned (with the lift able false bottom).

I'd assume the base of the mesh pot would be solid so when the false bottom is lifted any grain that spills over the edges still won't get though due to the fixed base and thin mesh sides. I guess their design is an extension of this. (side note does anyone do something like this in Australia?)

sluggerdog said:
totally agree, I love the design of this. Once The Brauduino comes though from the current bulk buy I'll be getting a upgraded stainless pot (70-80L) and was thinking of a mash basket along these lines anyway but I think this is better then I had planned (with the lift able false bottom).

I'd assume the base of the mesh pot would be solid so when the false bottom is lifted any grain that spills over the edges still won't get though due to the fixed base and thin mesh sides. I guess their design is an extension of this. (side note does anyone do something like this in Australia?)
The basket looks similar.

on a side note I have a Keg King hop filter made of S.S Mesh and during the boil it appears to get coated with a bit of protein.

I would imagine the mesh would want to be a little coarser than the hop mesh so the wort could recirculate

angus_grant said:

The water volume would be controlled to some extent by the height of the holes in that center pipe....possibly??

I would like to see a little bit more detail in the video of its actual operation.

In any case it wont take long for an inventive Aussie or two to make a clone. :lol: :lol: :ph34r:

Latest posts

Back