Brew Always Tastes Like Homebrew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking extract (unhopped) Vs All Grain,

I think it comes down to the following.

1 - All grain you can choose from many different base malts and can mash these for different lengths of time at different temperatures etc.
2 - LME you have far less choice or control over this.
3 - With this in mind, if your recipe just happened to require base malt that would be very similar to Pale LME, then your extract + spec grain beer will probably be pretty bloody close to the AG one, albeit with a bit of a twang.

A good extract beer is like 90% as good as the AG equivalent.

Where as a kit beer that's isohopped is IMO about 10% of the way towards AG.

Agreed. My biggest jump in quality was moving from kit to extract plus grain plus hops. But the biggest jump in choices and styles is from extract to AG, as the world of malts especially opened up to give me so many more ingredients to play with.

bum - Quoted out of context. Didn't I write "as far as I know, I've interpreted it right"? hence the latter comment stands as consistent with the former comment. I also invited a clearly written comment that can be interpreted. Again, consistent with my comments.

Geez - have you got the same disease as SWMBO?

As far as I know, "AFAIK" in practical terms means "not my fault if I'm wrong" and can be discounted completely when used in the context you used it.

Can you get your SWMBO to post here? She sounds pretty sensible to me.

Geez - have you got the same disease as SWMBO?

If you havn't been active on most threads, Bum did complete his her first all grain brewday in a leopard print g string. Purely for asthetic reasons of course! Aerodynamics go a long way in this black art.

EDIT: strikeout

Talking extract (unhopped) Vs All Grain,

I think it comes down to the following.

1 - All grain you can choose from many different base malts and can mash these for different lengths of time at different temperatures etc.
2 - LME you have far less choice or control over this.
3 - With this in mind, if your recipe just happened to require base malt that would be very similar to Pale LME, then your extract + spec grain beer will probably be pretty bloody close to the AG one, albeit with a bit of a twang.

A good extract beer is like 90% as good as the AG equivalent.

Where as a kit beer that's isohopped is IMO about 10% of the way towards AG.

I agree :D

Now, now, Fourstar. Now you're misrepresenting me. It was my first AG brewday done out of the kitchen. It was only proper to put something on. What would the neighbours think?

As far as I know, "AFAIK" in practical terms means "not my fault if I'm wrong" and can be discounted completely when used in the context you used it.

Can you get your SWMBO to post here? She sounds pretty sensible to me.

aaargh, forget it. This is boring and pointless. "Anything you do say will be twisted, quoted out of context and used against you".

Rather funny that I've just started reading 1984. What a bizarre co-incidence. Not big brother, the thought police.

Now I'm Big Brother?

Yeah, definitely me doing the word twisting.

My ignore list is getting longer every day. Seriously.

Bugger it....it`s that long since I posted I forget how to post an image. Oh well back to the Hanwood Estate muscat.
Goodbye again all. :beer:

stagga.

My point, which may have been ill written, wasn't weather AG was better tasting or not, I'd say it prolly is when done with knowledge & experience compared to the same person brewing the same recipe with extract. My point was that you can make great beer with extract, end of story. I'm off to go and choke my cat now, does it matter if she isn't a kitten anymore?

PV=NRT
So in some ways, a decrease in temperature is equivalent to an increase in pressure (over-simplified I know).

sorry having fun just Reading this epic thread, but thought I'd add that the above equation states all else being equal an increase in temp equals an increase in pressure. This is why aerosol cans explode in heat. Shouldn't state scientific equations unless you know what your talking about or else you look stupid.

sorry having fun just Reading this epic thread, but thought I'd add that the above equation states all else being equal an increase in temp equals an increase in pressure. This is why aerosol cans explode in heat. Shouldn't state scientific equations unless you know what your talking about or else you look stupid.
I went to the effort of moving the entire discussion to another thread to avoid clogging up this one, so you can go to the other one to make this point and we can discuss it there...unless you just wanted a larger audience before which to put me down :rolleyes:

Has anyone ever tried to hold their breath underwater for longer than a minute? It's really hard.

Thread's great by the way - go AG, shut up snob, extract is rubbish, my best beers were brewed by my mum, etc etc etc.

Anyone know if no chilling can kill you and what does everyone here think about BIAB?

You forgot to mention lid vs glad wrap Manticle. I tried glad wrap but drowned too many kittens so the RSPCA bought me some lids & airlocks.

Edit: Why isn't my kitten bubbling in the airlock?

Has anyone ever tried to hold their breath underwater for longer than a minute? It's really hard.

Thread's great by the way - go AG, shut up snob, extract is rubbish, my best beers were brewed by my mum, etc etc etc.

Anyone know if no chilling can kill you and what does everyone here think about BIAB?

my best beer (and comp winner) was brewed by a mum...

kittens.jpg

For those who came in late the kittens thing was a former member who exploded in a thread posted by yet another person who said "My airlock isn't bubbling" to which the former member posted something like "look, to make my point and get you to understand I'll come round and strangle a kitten in front of you "

Since then kittens and airlock bubbling have been closely intertwined on AHB

Latest posts

Back