Braumeister - Tips & Tricks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paulmclaren11 said:
With these smaller grain bills are you still using ~25l for the mash plus sparge?
Yes Paul, same here. No change to water volumes at all. 26L + 7L Mashed the last one at 72C. sample tasted good but only kegged it yesterday

I hope it's OK to ask a question here, when you lift the malt pipe to sparge how do you stop the grain being washed through the hole in the bottom filter that the rod passes through?

Atb. Aamcle

Just remove the top screen and filter and use your mash paddle to close it up/compact it a little. Put the filer and screen back on and sparge as usual.

I don't own a Brau.. But I thought if you lift it onto the sparge pegs the bottom hole still had the rod coming up through it?

aamcle said:
I hope it's OK to ask a question here, when you lift the malt pipe to sparge how do you stop the grain being washed through the hole in the bottom filter that the rod passes through? Atb. Aamcle
Pratty1 said:
Just remove the top screen and filter and use your mash paddle to close it up/compact it a little. Put the filer and screen back on and sparge as usual.
Yes, I have found if you remove the top plate and stir about half the depth of the grain bed you will actually gain a point or two because the sparge water will find a new path through the grain and as above, you wont wash any grain out of the middle hole.

Mick Gramoit said:
First Brew could not have gone any more smoothly, finished with a OG of 1.061 but with a efficiency of 84% (I got about 3 litres more than I anticipated). Will be brewing a lot more regularly with this bad boy.
For the past year i have tried to crack 1060 with 5kg of malt and 21lt into the FV, that been the challenge.

how many kg of malt, what mash schedule did you use and final vol into the FV did you have?

Tonight I tried 6KG on the 20lt to make a 1070 IPA - got 1062....damn 67% eff - usually get 78-80% with my 5kg malt bill......

mashded in at 20, 10m@ 62c, 45m@ 67c, 20m@ 78c - thining i should have mashed for longer. sparged 1st run with 3.6lts of 1045 and then another 3.5 lts at 1030

I was aiming for 21lts in the FV and ended with 20 and a f*ck load of trub/hops from the 225g added during the last 20 mins.

Guys,

Can we keep this thread on topic, the above info probably belongs in the Braumeiser Build thread.

When I get back to my desktop I will see if I can move your enquiry and answer over there.

Cheers

Tonight I tried 6KG on the 20lt to make a 1070 IPA - got 1062....damn 67% eff - usually get 78-80% with my 5kg malt bill......

mashded in at 20, 10m@ 62c, 45m@ 67c, 20m@ 78c - thining i should have mashed for longer. sparged 1st run with 3.6lts of 1045 and then another 3.5 lts at 1030

I was aiming for 21lts in the FV and ended with 20 and a f*ck load of trub/hops from the 225g added during the last 20 mins.
Did you stir the malt in between?

Niels

niels said:
Did you stir the malt in between?Niels
Nah, I went out as usual when the mash is happening. It certainly would have helped cos the malt pipe was quite full, although it showed me that you could fit more in....lol. I will stir it next time and mash for a little while longer.

Something that may of affected it aswell is mashing with 30liters which meant there was no flowing cascade wort over the rim of the malt pipe.

MODERATION
dicko said:
Guys,

Can we keep this thread on topic, the above info probably belongs in the Braumeiser Build thread.

When I get back to my desktop I will see if I can move your enquiry and answer over there.

Cheers
Guys, I have moved the posts on Matho's controller to the Matho's controller thread.

Cheers

Pratty1 said:
Nah, I went out as usual when the mash is happening. It certainly would have helped cos the malt pipe was quite full, although it showed me that you could fit more in....lol. I will stir it next time and mash for a little while longer.

Something that may of affected it aswell is mashing with 30liters which meant there was no flowing cascade wort over the rim of the malt pipe.
I don't stir when having a "normal" grain bill, but when packed or using a lot of raw wheat/rye I do stir once or twice during mashing.

Getting the screen filter of is the most painful step in the stirring process :p

Niels

Getting the screen filter of is the most painful step in the stirring process :p

Niels[/quote]

The top mesh one? Why?

Pratty1 said:
For the past year i have tried to crack 1060 with 5kg of malt and 21lt into the FV, that been the challenge.

how many kg of malt, what mash schedule did you use and final vol into the FV did you have?
I used 5.2kg of grain and got about 20L in the fermenter and 2.5L or so of trub. From memory I mashed in at about 35, then 10 minutes at 52, 70 minutes at 65 and 10 at 78. Also sparged /rinsed.

OT: Can a Brau owner help out: How does the 50L Brau secure the short malt pipe in place? Is there a separate / larger screw thread further down the center shaft?

While I don't use the 50L version I'd assume it would just use the usual crossbar on the shorter malt pipe to secure it as per the other malt pipe usage.

Though I would guess someone with a 50L will chime in shortly and confirm or correct.

yeah, I thought the center rod only has thread at the top though? so how does it clamp down the crossbar across the malt pipe halfway down the rod? (wingnut at the top... hence why I asked about a larger thread partway down - eg for a larger wingnut that is only for the short malt pipe... just guessing :) )

Wimmig said:
While I don't use the 50L version I'd assume it would just use the usual crossbar on the shorter malt pipe to secure it as per the other malt pipe usage.

Though I would guess someone with a 50L will chime in shortly and confirm or correct.

lael said:
yeah, I thought the center rod only has thread at the top though? so how does it clamp down the crossbar across the malt pipe halfway down the rod? (wingnut at the top... hence why I asked about a larger thread partway down - eg for a larger wingnut that is only for the short malt pipe... just guessing :) )
The short malt pipe comes with a piece of pipe you slide over the center rod. Then you simply screw the wingnut on the center rod and the pipe will push onto the corssing bar.

Niels

EDIT: Found a picture online:
49326.jpg

Back