Braumeister - Tips & Tricks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dicko said:
BTW please ignore the "Strike Water Temp" figure and the "Strike Water Litres" as this is not really applicable with the BM and I don't know why the strike water is more than the total water required.
I will go further into it when I get more time.

Cheers
OK, thanks Dicko,
I also would pay for something that relates to the Braumeister

dicko said:
Here is a bigger pic...a little easier to read

Brewmatesettings_zps31bc5957.png
Awesome thanks Dicko and for the explaination as to how you use the program to get your water levels and desired efficiencies.

Guys, that grain absorption figure is as important as the boil off figures for calculating the recipe. My absorption figures changed when I changed my mill gap so just make notes and adjust as you go along.

The grain absorption can be determined by knowing the exact volume of water you started with and then measuring the exact pre boil figure you have after the mash and the sparge.

If you go back through this topic you will see a dip stick I made for the job

Cheers

Mine is a 3 roller Crankenstein and is currently set at 1.2mm which is what gives me that GA figure in the above screenshot.

I have mates with different mills and they get different efficiencies and different GA figures

Cheers

dicko said:
Guys, that grain absorption figure is as important as the boil off figures for calculating the recipe. My absorption figures changed when I changed my mill gap so just make notes and adjust as you go along.

The grain absorption can be determined by knowing the exact volume of water you started with and then measuring the exact pre boil figure you have after the mash and the sparge.

If you go back through this topic you will see a dip stick I made for the job

Cheers
Dicko

What I have been doing is weigh the grain before the mash and then weigh it when I remove it
I have been thinking this is the most accurate way and get 0.5 - 0.6L/Kg
Just thinking about it now and I believe this does not take into account the weight of sugars extracted from the grain so your volume method is more accurate.

Cheers

Repeatability is what is required with AG brewing if you have the need to make the same recipe over again.
This will only be achieved with correct and accurate figures on which you can base your calculations.
Your figures are "yours" and may not relate the the brewer with the BM next door.
Measure and take notes and adjust as you complete each brew and do everything the same each time and within a short time you will have the figures nailed for your brewery.

What is the min grain bill the 20ltr BM can take?

The manual states between 4-5 kg (I know others have proven it can take more for bigger beers), is 4kg really okay?

The manual states between 4-5 kg (I know others have proven it can take more for bigger beers), is 4kg really okay?

I have done a few 3.5% ABV beers using 4kg malt. No worries, I'd even suggest a 3kg would be possible.

First Brew could not have gone any more smoothly, finished with a OG of 1.061 but with a efficiency of 84% (I got about 3 litres more than I anticipated). Will be brewing a lot more regularly with this bad boy.

Mick Gramoit said:
First Brew could not have gone any more smoothly, finished with a OG of 1.061 but with a efficiency of 84% (I got about 3 litres more than I anticipated). Will be brewing a lot more regularly with this bad boy.
Great result on your first one Mick, congrats!!

paulmclaren11 said:

The smallest beer I have done is a midstrength with 3.45kg of grain with no worries.

Awesome I have a house mid APA I want try out and was worried it wouldn't take a smaller grain bill. Can't wait to do my first one.

You can get some serious volume out of the brau with midstrength beers... I have got 3x 21l full cubes on my 50 litre a number of times.

paulmclaren11 said:

I'm regularly doing a 3.0% mild ale with 3.14 kg and end with 24L in the fermenter at 1.032 OG ( includes 100g sucrose )

I've made a berliner weisse that had 3kg of grain and it seemed to work fine.

paulmclaren11 said:
With these smaller grain bills are you still using ~25l for the mash plus sparge?
Yes mate, I am using the same volume as for any other beer I do....25 litre batch size

Back