Braumeister - Tips & Tricks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's always quite a lot of wort left with the trub in the bottom after a Braumeister brew. Do you guys strain it, leave it or do you let it go into your FV?

There's always quite a lot of wort left with the trub in the bottom after a Braumeister brew. Do you guys strain it, leave it or do you let it go into your FV?
When you have a good cold break you can let the trub settle out on the bottom before tilting the Braumeister to get the most out of it.
Possibly the use of whole hops/cones will create a filter that will catch most of the trub when tilting.

Also, I don't mind a little bit of proteins in my FV as I transfer the wort in a secondary to clarify. Although trub/proteins in your FV makes washing yeast for reduce a little harder.

Niels

After transferring the wort to the fermenter & tilting a little to catch some more of the clean wort I then transfer the remaining wort & trub to a sanatised container & then chill overnight
The next morning all the trub has settled to the bottom with clean wort on top which I decant & add to the fermenter
This increases the yield & also really kicks the yeast off

beerkench said:

I have a pick up tube so I am left with 3L of trube in the bottom of my 20L BM. I tip it down the drain and count it as the cost of doing business. I think it is a false economy trying to save it.

Some of the guys on HBT dump the whole lot in to the FV. I think I will go happy medium and not mind too much if some of the grub gets in.
Cheers.

Another Braumeister question chaps: How do you get yours clean? I often find it difficult to getting to the outside of the bottom element rings.

I chill my wort with an immersion chiller then I use the BM as a settling tank for the next 45 mins or so, and then I drain the wort into a fermenter straight from the tap.
Result is crystal clear wort and the yeast that is left after fermentation is extremely clean.
I lose around 3.5 to 4 litres trub and I gently tilt the kettle when draining to the fermenter. I allow for this loss in my brewing software.

beerkench said:
Another Braumeister question chaps: How do you get yours clean? I often find it difficult to getting to the outside of the bottom element rings.
PBW is your friend, I soak my BM in around 10 litres of mix at 65 deg for an hour or overnite if it suits and then I get one of those dish mops that have a plastic handle and the mop part is like strands of coarse wool and give it a swish around the element paying attention to the back and undersides, then I rinse the BM, undo the pump and clean the impeller and then leave it to dry.
It comes up like new every time.

Put some pbw in it with enough water to cover elements and heat to 70 degrees and leave it at that temp for 30 mins. Makes Makes mine sparkle

Yeah, pbw every 4th or 5th brew. It makes cleaning after every other brew very easy too, I get a cloth and wrap it around the element and feed it around to get any grime off.

Does a much better job than sodium percarb that I used when I first got it, must be the extra stuff they add to it.

beerkench said:
I give every thing a wipe over with a chux or a scrubbing brush to get the crud off. A quick rinse then I fill it up with water, put the malt pipe in and everything that gets sticky into it. Run it at 50 deg C with a capful of sodium percabonate for 30 min or so. Rinse it off and clean the pump. My unit has done close to 100 brews and still look great.

Don't use caustic. The brass pump housings don't like that. :p

I drag mine outside and hose out the pumps and dump it a few times to get rid of most of the hops and break, then do a PBW rinse much like what was mentioned above.

tiprya said:
--- I get a cloth and wrap it around the element and feed it around to get any grime off.

---
This. From one end to another and back.

I drain the left overs into a flask and chill it and decant it. I use it as my next starter. With respect to cleaning, PBW FTW.

I finally have my 20ltr BM and loving reading this thread. Great tips on cleaning too.

I am not going to get a chance to 'pop it's cherry' for a few weeks given family/xmas events, but wanting to know if anyone uses BrewMate for their software for the 20ltr and what the brew day settings are?

I have a rough idea after reading this thread and I guess it's trial and error for the first few but if anyone has these settings this would be awesome.

Cheers.

Here are my settings in Brewmate.

It will be a starting point....your efficiencies may be different and I use the kettle volume as the batch size..25 litres. From this you will have loss to trub, chiller etc if you use my volumes.

You will love the BM

Brewmate settings.jpg

Looks good, Dicko

I take it from that info that you mash with full volume and don't sparge?

What difference have you noticed from ,say, mash in with 26L and sparge/rinse with 7L (my method)

cheers

Coalminer,

I actually mash with about 24 to 25 litres and sparge with the balance amount that is predicted by the software but it makes no real difference to your calculations for the beer.

If I do a full volume mash then my efficiency drops a bit so I am happy to sparge for a few minutes to get the extra points.
It is pretty much the same as anyone doing BIAB.

Basically when I use Brewmate I am only asking for the total volume of water required for the efficiency, grain absorption and boil off settings to calculate the recipe correctly.

I hope, one day, some one will write a software program for the BM and similar machines and if suitable I would gladly pay for it.

Cheers

BTW please ignore the "Strike Water Temp" figure and the "Strike Water Litres" as this is not really applicable with the BM and I don't know why the strike water is more than the total water required.
I will go further into it when I get more time.

Cheers

Back