Braumeister Or 3v Herms

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmastello

Reaction score
I am thinking of upgrading my "no stand, esky, keggle" AG setup for something fancier that can handle High Grav brews, 50L batches, better lautering and sparging and give me some greater consistency between brews. I am only in the planning/saving money stage, but I was thinking either a 3 vessel HERMS (Gas boil, electric HLT) with a stand

OR

go the easy way out and get a 50L Braumeister

Can anyone give me the positives and negatives for each option?
I am not the handiest person in the world, but do have access to a TIG welder and the know-how to weld almost any metals which would help.

I am thinking of upgrading my "no stand, esky, keggle" AG setup for something fancier that can handle High Grav brews, 50L batches, better lautering and sparging and give me some greater consistency between brews. I am only in the planning/saving money stage, but I was thinking either a 3 vessel HERMS (Gas boil, electric HLT) with a stand

OR

go the easy way out and get a 50L Braumeister

Can anyone give me the positives and negatives for each option?
I am not the handiest person in the world, but do have access to a TIG welder and the know-how to weld almost any metals which would help.
I've got a 20 ltr braumeister, can't fault it, and only 1 vessel to clean, just program your brew than pretty much walk away.

I would like to do 'half' batches that are high gravity (IIPA, RIS etc). Is this possible in the BM by using less water? e.g. 13L at 1.090?

I've just read the maximum grain is around 5.5kg.

I would like to do 'half' batches that are high gravity (IIPA, RIS etc). Is this possible in the BM by using less water? e.g. 13L at 1.090?

I've just read the maximum grain is around 5.5kg.

I prefer doing bigger 40L High gravity beers, because you want to age them for anywhere up to 5 years. I brew smaller batches of lower grav ones so they get drunk fresh....

I personally would go the 50L braumeister.

It'd be worth while to brew on both first or at least participate in a brew day on each system

That said a 3 vessel system can be put together in a range of ways and configurations so you won't be able to experience all the nuances on a given system

It comes down to personal preference

There is a lot of praise out there for the Braumeister though

I have a 3 vessel system and can't see myself changing over to a Braumeister in the foreseeable future as I enjoy brewing on my latest incarnation

Cheers

Whilst the braumesiter may make it easier to brew , clean up etc, there is nothing quite like the idiosyncracy of your own 3v system...
Sure cleaning is a bitch...
Sure you sort of have to baby sit it...
but hey...your actually really creating the wort...none of this push the button , shut the door aand she's done rubbish...
Maybe oneday i'd like a german jobby , just beacuise it would be easier...but i aso love getting out the 3v herms i have , cranking her up and making anything i want , when i want....
My .002c
Cheers
Ferg

I believe mark at Mark's Homebrew (in Newcastle) will let you do a brew on his shop braumeister for the cost of the ingredients, if you give him a bell

I had a full blown 3 vessel system with all the bells and.....you know. I just sold it and bought a 20L BM. Sure there is loads of flexability with the 3v system but the problem is with this (I found) its almost impossible to make the exact same beer twice. There are just so many variables with the 3 vessels that will change the end result.
I am looking forward to the BM turning up. Apart from price I wanted the 20L as I like brewing and you can get 6.6 kg of grain in a 20L BM.

Steve

Being able to weld is a big bonus in going the 3/4V HERMS direction.

I have a 4V HERMS and really like the modularity of my whole setup.
I can chop and change how it's all set up, I've been able to get to where I am now in a fairly organic way, adding parts as time/energy/inspiration allow.

It never feels like it's quite finished. (This is a plus to me, always more tinkering to be had.)
Should I make a stirrer for the mash? Or work a hopback in there somewhere? Shall I swop my HLT and MLT around etc. etc...

You can sell or swop parts but not the whole as your needs change.

They both make wort - how great and repeatable it is really depends on you, not the rig anyway.

I haven't used or seen a Braumeister. I can certainly see the appeal, especially if space is an issue but I wouldn't swop my freaky HERMS beast for one, I like having a one of a kind.

I also like the idea of (sort of) having a brewery in miniature. If I could have a real brewery in miniature, I would swop my HERMS for that! Miniaturisation is always a win!

6.6 kg of grain in 20l bm would be absolutely pushing it to its limits. I had around 5.4 in mine and it didn't like it that much

Get the 50L braumeister it's awesome!! If you want to bugger around and have 100% concentration on the brew all day then go down the other road. I like that I can mash in push start and go for a surf or walk the dog or have breakfast etc while it's going through a mash cycle and you end up with 50L of piss!!

No turning back for me its Braumeister all the way.No gas bottles to refill and is less than a 1/4 of the floor space of my old 3v system.the reason i didnt get a 50lt was the need for a 15amp plug.was not allowed to have the new tiles cut in the laundry to have a one use plug put in.
Dont listen to all the bollox about my 3v system makes real beer,because i am making better and consistent beers everytime with this system.I know exactly what i am going to get out everytime i put X ingredients and water into my Braumeister.

Last brew wanted 20lt of X gravity of wort in my fermenter and when i ran it off got 20lt of beautiful bright wort with little or no trub transfered.

So for me 3V system retired and mostly sold off.
playing with a Hoprocket upgrade for my Braumeister,so you can still add extra bling along the way.

Cheers SCum

I had a full blown 3 vessel system with all the bells and.....you know. I just sold it and bought a 20L BM. Sure there is loads of flexability with the 3v system but the problem is with this (I found) its almost impossible to make the exact same beer twice. There are just so many variables with the 3 vessels that will change the end result.
I am looking forward to the BM turning up. Apart from price I wanted the 20L as I like brewing and you can get 6.6 kg of grain in a 20L BM.

Steve

I have done the same for similar reasons.

This was my brewery build and improved on over 10 years plus, I loved it.

herms.jpg

I now own a 50lt BM and love it more. Plus I can now brew where ever I like, I'm not confined to the shed.
I admit the BM is not for everyone but it suits me down to the ground.

Batz

Get the 50L braumeister it's awesome!! If you want to bugger around and have 100% concentration on the brew all day then go down the other road. I like that I can mash in push start and go for a surf or walk the dog or have breakfast etc while it's going through a mash cycle and you end up with 50L of piss!!

Hmm, if you BM is full of urine, perhaps you have been forgetting to put the lid on during the mash cycle whilst you are elsewhere? :ph34r:

Seriously Gingerbrew, if you can tig weld etc, I'd bet that you are reasonably handy - don't sell yourself out just yet. I love building and tinkering but only wish I had the equipment or know how to tig weld. There is as others have pointed out, a great joy in building a system yourself and then using it to make great beer. Most folks systems evolve as they use them and refine them - there is joy in this, if you are into that sort of thing. I did for a while but the BM suits me better and my missus is actually happier too.

I like the BM because of the simplicity and repeatability of brewing. It is easy to clean, has a small shed footprint and is simple to operate and I can go and do other things whilst it is mashing. I can set the BM going and then have a BBQ lunch with the missus, sit and have a beer with her etc - she's happier with the BM.

Seems like there are some good answers in this thread from people on both sides of the fence.

I have done the same for similar reasons.

This was my brewery build and improved on over 10 years plus, I loved it.

View attachment 52083

I now own a 50lt BM and love it more. Plus I can now brew where ever I like, I'm not confined to the shed.
I admit the BM is not for everyone but it suits me down to the ground.

Batz
Still brew in the shed ?
Nev

i get strong feelings of manliness when firing up my mongolian burners

IMG_2740.JPG

the roar of power akin to that of a 351 cleveland in an XY GT, chewing gas, spilling out fumes

sure, a subaru wrx would whip its arse, but on testosterone factor, the GT gets it every time

so do you want that wrx that is predictable, corners on a dime, is fuel efficient and quiet ?

or do you want that big heavy muscle car that roaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars ?

Latest posts

Back