Braumeister Or 3v Herms

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my 2c

I would be pretty pissed in four years or less if the mighty BM broke down and cost me a fortune to fix, the cost is bad enough but what are the ongoings?

Are there any members that have brewed on them fortnightly for a few years now?

Cheers BDB

my 2c

I would be pretty pissed in four years or less if the mighty BM broke down and cost me a fortune to fix, the cost is bad enough but what are the ongoings?

Are there any members that have brewed on them fortnightly for a few years now?

Cheers BDB

PM MHB if you're really interested to know how they age with use. Mark's had his for years and gets put through its paces regularly in the shop. I brewed on it the other week and it's still as good as new.

I have done the same for similar reasons.

This was my brewery build and improved on over 10 years plus, I loved it.

View attachment 52083

I now own a 50lt BM and love it more. Plus I can now brew where ever I like, I'm not confined to the shed.
I admit the BM is not for everyone but it suits me down to the ground.

Batz

Some of those bits look familiar :D

I think this whole discussion can be summed up with the old AHB phrase...

You're not a real brewer unless you have a March Pump.

Which of the systems has a March Pump ?

so do you want that wrx that is predictable, corners on a dime, is fuel efficient and quiet ?

fuel efficient? maybe compared to old school V8's but the Subarus I drive (3L outback, 2L impreza) certainly aren't the most fuel efficient things... particularly when it's so tempting to give it a bit of wellie. Point taken though.

Out of the two for me my money would be on the BM due to the limited space I have under the house (no room for a shed as the block is too steep). The beer made on the BM at system wars for the Brisbane home brew conference was a very nice drop to drink.

I think if I used a big enough regulator and mounted my spiral burner right I could propel my keggle across the street :p

Would be a tough call with electricity ;) who wants a bloody Prius!

GingerBrew,

I tossed this exact coin in the air about 6-8 weeks.....

I chose to build a 3v rig that will last the test of time. It will also give me freedom to mix it up if I feel I need to, similar to set and forget to step mashing but manual in a way...

I, as others have said, have loved the designing, building and sourcing of parts as a process.. Its very rewarding to think, I need all these bits, take the risk/expense to order them... get them, nervelessly quadruply check and drill some holes in an expensive pot or what ever....

...Then its spot on! = Awesome. I personally really enjoy the build, that feeling of I did that...

But as with most things in HB'ing, the ball is in your court and it simply relates to your needs, situation, environment and, as per your topic maybe not for you, budget.

I would love a 50L BM for many, many reasons but also love the build, design and having something I built to make my beer... the later fell the coin for me!

2.45c

Choices huh!

:icon_cheers:

Bloody traitor :angry: :p

I did hang my head in shame for a week or two Andrew, in fact I didn't tell anyone for 6-7 months.
Apart from another local BM owner ;)

Batz

You've been coming out on a few things recently Batz

I was in the same boat and I'm going for a 3V.

I beat myself up over this decision time & time again whilst trying to get my 3v Rims system together.
The decision to stay with the 3v I believe was the right one for me & I am finally getting my control box wired tomorrow.
The sparky is doing the work for beer so that's a bonus.
The BM for me is a bit too hands off & higher gravity beers are on my agenda & I don't want to compromise with smaller volumes with the BM.
As far as repeatability goes, I am running a PID with a 2400w element in my Rims tube & consistent temps will always be achieved, so making the exact brew months later should not be an issue. The other downside for me of the BM was the 15A circuit ( renting ) & trying to find $3500.00.
In saying that though, if I added everything up that I have spent up until now, I could of probably paid for the BM anyhow.
I'm happy I stuck it out with the 3v.

I beat myself up over this decision time & time again whilst trying to get my 3v Rims system together.
The decision to stay with the 3v I believe was the right one for me & I am finally getting my control box wired tomorrow.
The sparky is doing the work for beer so that's a bonus.
The BM for me is a bit too hands off & higher gravity beers are on my agenda & I don't want to compromise with smaller volumes with the BM.
As far as repeatability goes, I am running a PID with a 2400w element in my Rims tube & consistent temps will always be achieved, so making the exact brew months later should not be an issue. The other downside for me of the BM was the 15A circuit ( renting ) & trying to find $3500.00.
In saying that though, if I added everything up that I have spent up until now, I could of probably paid for the BM anyhow.
I'm happy I stuck it out with the 3v.
I think the biggest thing in the BM's favor is the control box. If I was able to build a similar PID control box such as Matho done with his and apply it to a 3V I would be a happy camper. Bit more study for me before I attempt that one though.

Cheers

I think the biggest thing in the BM's favor is the control box. If I was able to build a similar PID control box such as Matho done with his and apply it to a 3V I would be a happy camper. Bit more study for me before I attempt that one though.

Cheers

Matho's done a great job with that for sure.
My control box has a MashMaster controller simply to monitor the temp in the gas fired HLT.
The Pid controller monitors the 2400w element & temp return back to the mash tun.
I have four illuminated switches accross the bottom of the control box, MashMaster on/off, PID on/off, element on/off & march pump on/off.
The beauty of the BM is set & forget as opposed to mine, I have to manually set the temp on the PID & use a timer for each infusion if step mashing. Most of my beers though are simple single infusion, 66deg sacc rest for 60mins, change PID temp to 78deg for mash out, drain & batch sparge. I kinda like the hands on approach though, swapping hoses with the camlocks etc. It does feel as though you are controlling the whole process from start to finish.

the inability to perfectly replicate a brew ensures that i'm always drinking something different, this is a plus not a negative for my home crafted beer

i can always live with fond memories of that great beer i made back in the year ..... knowing that it will never be again

plus, i wouldnt subscribe to penthouse if it had the same centrefold every month

Latest posts

Back