Braumeister NEXTGEN Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks wotafm, I've quickly googled it and it seems no one has found a food grade silicone sealant?

I'm hoping someone can prove me wrong?
I've been looking for a while as well, found this yesterday and ordered a tube, might be good for what you want if you don't mind the grey colour.

http://www.crh.com.au/products/fabrication...grade-silicone/
Food_Grade_Silocne.jpg

Cheers

Thanks for the heads up everyone, I got some more 12mm hose and it worked perfectly.

On Sunday I brewed with my braumiser and it was by far the easiest brew day i have ever had! The only problem I had was the temps were out by 1 degree at 42, 2 degrees at 66 and boiling at 96.5. I haven't changed any PID settings in the brauduino, should I reduce P and increase D?

If people are wondering about numbers in a 19L main pot and 9L malt pipe using 2.2kg grain i got 12L of 1046 wort, about 79% efficiency (with 50% wheat). Next brew I will crush the grain a little more as it seemed the little brown pump was having no problems pushing through the coarse crush and maybe push it to 2.5kg grain.

I completely forgot about taking photos, I will hopefully brew again this weekend. My braumiser is a much more ghetto version than Mathos and Edaks but still gets the job done!

Thanks everyone for your input as I would have never been able to get it done without it!

Cheers

i would be keen to see your pictures peteq. i test ran my unit on Monday so i just need to give it all a good wash and try it out

can anyone suggest a good easy brew for a new unit and a driver who has not done a A/G before.

cheers wotafm

Hi Pete,

Was this element bendable? If so, it seems like a great option for my element.

Cheers
Rob

Hi Rob,

I have been talking via email with Michael at Tobins and he has given me a fair bit of info about the 2400w element. He said that they are bendable and the no bend zone is 75mm up from the brushes.

They do not bend them for you, you would have to do that yourself. Postage to the central coast from sydney is $25 and i got quoted $65 for the element BH730HO(plus gst)

He did say that the elements have a minimum bend radius of 25mm which shouldn't effect making the circle(emailed him the picture from the thread)

Dan

Rob and Dan

Absolutely recommend that element. It took me about 5 minutes to bend into shape using the 9l malt pipe as a guide and my knee for the 90 degree bends. It does sit quite high in the pot, about 110mm from the base.

In my 19l pot it ramped up to temperatures nice and quick and the boil I had to turn down a bit (with the brauduino very easy to do). It was pulling about 10.8 amps

It also seemed easy to clean after the maiden voyage last weekend.

Good luck!

i would be keen to see your pictures peteq. i test ran my unit on Monday so i just need to give it all a good wash and try it out

can anyone suggest a good easy brew for a new unit and a driver who has not done a A/G before.

cheers wotafm
Hey wotafm,
I would recommend the Dr Smurto Golden Ale for your first AG.

I'm sure along with many other brewers DrS Golden Ale is my house ale. An absolutely fantastic beer

Rob and Dan

Absolutely recommend that element. It took me about 5 minutes to bend into shape using the 9l malt pipe as a guide and my knee for the 90 degree bends. It does sit quite high in the pot, about 110mm from the base.

In my 19l pot it ramped up to temperatures nice and quick and the boil I had to turn down a bit (with the brauduino very easy to do). It was pulling about 10.8 amps

It also seemed easy to clean after the maiden voyage last weekend.

Good luck!

Thats great to hear, thanks Peteq.

do you have any pictures of the element or for your braumieser build?

Dan

Dan
Thanks Pete and Dan,

That is great info.

I have relatives that live not too far from Chullora so hopefully I will be able to get one picked up :)

Rob.

Dan

I've uploaded a few photos I've taken to http://www.flickr.com/photos/88081994@N04/

I used my biab bag with a small hole in it to go over the threaded rod for last weekends brew to hold in all the grains and my hop sock over the top plate. Ghetto but did the job.

Excuse all the crap on the ground, I will update with more pics from brews over the weekend.

Cheers

I've uploaded a few photos I've taken to http://www.flickr.com/photos/88081994@N04/

I used my biab bag with a small hole in it to go over the threaded rod for last weekends brew to hold in all the grains and my hop sock over the top plate. Ghetto but did the job.

Excuse all the crap on the ground, I will update with more pics from brews over the weekend.

Cheers
Looking great Pete,

I can't wait to get mine up and running, it's all so exciting.

Cheers
Rob

Cheers

I see you built the controller too, good work and well done.

Thanks heaps for posting the link for the pictures, more inspiration :D

We are about to cut the handles of the malt pipe and attahced the lift lugs, to weld on or screw through? its easiest is to screw through but How do you guys get the base filter plate down the malt pipe when the lift bolts on the malt pipe get in the way?

The photos are quite embarrassing but I am going to clean up the wiring at some point. If the circuit you're using isn't RCD protected make sure you have ATLEAST 2 layers of insulation on all 240v wiring.
All seals are either silicone bakeware or silicone O rings. Temperature probe sealed with selleys knead it (apparently food grade?)

8057875352_f37a825df3_d.jpg

8057875930_60fa6cf011_d.jpg

Pratty
The colander I'm using as the bottom filter plate fits easily over the 2 internal stainless bolts, unfortunately I'm no help.

datamike
try googling universal element, DIY element, bend it yourself element, bain marie element...

Thanks for the Golden ale tip guys looks like a winner.

here are a few pic of my finished unit.

2012_10_06_10_23_10_497__598x800_.jpg

a bit of artistic pipework

2012_10_06_10_25_03_766__800x598_.jpg

element covers using a 50mm ss pipe

2012_10_06_10_25_26_394__598x800_.jpg

how it all looks underneath

2012_10_06_10_27_56_156__598x800_.jpg

We are about to cut the handles of the malt pipe and attahced the lift lugs, to weld on or screw through? its easiest is to screw through but How do you guys get the base filter plate down the malt pipe when the lift bolts on the malt pipe get in the way?
Hey Pratty,

My filter plate goes in snugly but I put it in on an angle so it goes past the bolts. I also ground down the heads of the bolts so they aren't so large. Worked for me.

The photos are quite embarrassing but I am going to clean up the wiring at some point. If the circuit you're using isn't RCD protected make sure you have ATLEAST 2 layers of insulation on all 240v wiring.
All seals are either silicone bakeware or silicone O rings. Temperature probe sealed with selleys knead it (apparently food grade?)
Pete,
Looks ok, as you say it's cosmetic. I would not brew on a circuit that wasn't RCD (safety switch) protected.

Thanks for the Golden ale tip guys looks like a winner.

here are a few pic of my finished unit.

a bit of artistic pipework

element covers using a 50mm ss pipe

how it all looks underneath
I love your work wotafm, great looking build. Just did a Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale today so the waiting game begins again. Downed a couple more of my Golden Ales and they are really a treat, even for a first brew.

I wish I had someone tasting my beers other than myself and a couple of friends who aren't homebrewing and don't really know what to look for. Personally my first AG was a success if you ask me.

Latest posts

Back