Braumeister NEXTGEN Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I have heard the punches are great as well but they dont work on 1-2mm stainless kegs. I think the price will be worth the wait!

Cheers,

Clint

I used one the same on a robinox pot and it worked fine. you do need a large allen key to drive it but i got a cheap set from bunnings

I used one the same on a robinox pot and it worked fine. you do need a large allen key to drive it but i got a cheap set from bunnings

Sweet, and a robinox pot is most likely thicker than my one. Was the hole really nicely punched for your pot given that it is thick?

Yeah i was amazed how nice it was. i just ran around a few times with the sander attachment on my dremel to be sure.

ELEMENTS IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, just got to wire it up. Picks to come when the monsters go to bed.

Gee those monsters stay awake for a long time :)

Hey edak,
Sorry about pics, I have it running at the moment testing, i will get pics up soon. Wish I could upload straight from iPad.

Some more pics, just have to tidy up wiring after i test and check for leaks

element.JPG

pump_running.JPG

testing.JPG

Some more pics, just have to tidy up wiring after i test and check for leaks
Excellent job Luke, what power element is that and is it enough to keep a rolling boil?

Also, are you doing 20L batches with this?

Excellent job Luke, what power element is that and is it enough to keep a rolling boil?

Also, are you doing 20L batches with this?

900mm 2400w element, rolling boil with 30 litres in the keg last night. That's when I discovered a few leaks underneath. Sorted them this morning. Temp goes up about 1 degree every 90 seconds. Should be alot quicker after I insulate the keg.

I'm thinking of putting together a system like a cross between a biab system and a braumiser/meister. I'm thinking instead the malt pipe I would have mesh over the element and inlet valve and use a biab bag to keep the grain together. Would it be likely that the bag would cause some channeling around the side during the recirculating mash? I'm still working through some ideas for how it will work at the moment. The reason I'm thinking of doing it this way is this way I can forego the malt pipe and it's complexity (sealing, sizing,flexing mesh ect.). Then again that leaves me with a recirculating automated stepping BIAB setup, though still relevant I guess.

I can't see why it wont work, you might get a bit of channelling but I wouldn't think it would matter much, only one way to find out.

cheers

steve

I can't see a reason why the hermit can't be used. It's a controller for a pump and an element which is essentially what you want here.

I can't see why it wont work, you might get a bit of channelling but I wouldn't think it would matter much, only one way to find out.

cheers

steve

thanks, I'll post some info once I get some things finalised. Currently thinking about doing a separate mash tun to kettle but the mash tun would be an automated one running the same way a brau runs. Something about pumping up through the grain bed that makes sense to me.

So,

Can anyone think of any reason why the HERM-IT controller couldn't be used in a Brau-meister?
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...=64334&st=0

I guess, the real trick would be to have a way to engage the boil? (override the element?)

I think you answered your own question Stux, it would work well for the mash cycle but you would probably have to by pass it for the boil, and I don't know about pump rests, which I think is important in an upward circulation system. Of course you add a switch inline with the pump so you could turn it on and off as you wish, it looks like a good unit and for the price if people don't want to make one themselves then its a bargain really because to put a box like that together would take me about 4-5 hours and then add that to about $150 for the parts. But where the fun in buying something when you can make it :p

cheers steve

How are you all adjusting the flow in your systems? Have you got valves on the output of your pumps?

I was under the impression that the valve goes after the pump so the pump gets as much liquid on the input side. Since it is magnetic, throttling it at the output should be fine.
So having the valve after the kettle before the pump could starve the pump from getting enough liquid.

Regards

Roller

I was under the impression that the valve goes after the pump so the pump gets as much liquid on the input side. Since it is magnetic, throttling it at the output should be fine.
So having the valve after the kettle before the pump could starve the pump from getting enough liquid.

Regards

Roller

+1

Back