Braumeister NEXTGEN Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matho,
Well done mate, this is such a sweet set up.
Thanks so much for giving up so much time, to help out people like me put something together.
Thanks again mate, nice one.

Cheers Clayton.

well I have been brewing on the braumiser for a little while now and there are a few things i would like to change with the program, all to do with timing. I would like to change how the pump rest works, at the moment it only turns off when the PID output is in the negative, as soon as the pid calls for heat the pump turns on which sometimes makes the pump rests very short. I would like to change it so that when the pump rest starts, it stops for 2 min or when the temperature error gets too large. The other thing is when the timers are started, at the moment they start when the temp gets within 1.5 deg of the set temp, I'm going to change it to when it gets to the set temp. A part from these small issues I'm really very happy with how it has worked out

cheers steve

well I have been brewing on the braumiser for a little while now and there are a few things i would like to change with the program, all to do with timing. I would like to change how the pump rest works, at the moment it only turns off when the PID output is in the negative, as soon as the pid calls for heat the pump turns on which sometimes makes the pump rests very short. I would like to change it so that when the pump rest starts, it stops for 2 min or when the temperature error gets too large. The other thing is when the timers are started, at the moment they start when the temp gets within 1.5 deg of the set temp, I'm going to change it to when it gets to the set temp. A part from these small issues I'm really very happy with how it has worked out

cheers steve

Matho,

word on the street was that you were puting together build notes?

I have been collecting bits and pieces for my own 'Muscmeister' build, although at this point i'm only working on the manual version.

I have a cracking 75 litre ss pot and a 19litre bigW pot malt pipe. Early days, but I am happy to have stumbled across your build...I'm a long way from your beast, but hapily inspred none the less

'

Matho,

word on the street was that you were puting together build notes?

I have been collecting bits and pieces for my own 'Muscmeister' build, although at this point i'm only working on the manual version.

I have a cracking 75 litre ss pot and a 19litre bigW pot malt pipe. Early days, but I am happy to have stumbled across your build...I'm a long way from your beast, but hapily inspred none the less

'

hey muscovy, if you click on the braumiser word in my sig it will take you the the post where the ZIP file for the build is, if you have any questions feel free to ask

cheers steve

hey muscovy, if you click on the braumiser word in my sig it will take you the the post where the ZIP file for the build is, if you have any questions feel free to ask

cheers steve

Love your work!
Thanks heaps Steve, I'm just in the process of working drawings to make the most universal effiecient beast i can!

Will keep you posted on teh build when i finally get started

Im still gathering equopment for mine. I have the ramp soak controller..... and i thought it had manual mode, will have to check, but geee id like to get a Micrologix 1100. coupled with a 2 x AI 2 x AO card..... it would be perfect!

I could run temperature control of the inner and outer ring seperate :)

I would have infinate control over programing of pump cycling, the works.

And you can get them for $300 to $400 on ebay

cheers steve

Matho, I would assume that you have already thought about this, but what if you had some decent insulation to keep heat loss down?

cheers

Browndog

Second brewday on the new system yesterday - who would've thought all grain could be this easy!
I have also tasted the results from the first batch - and while good there is certainly room for improvement. I didn't adjust hop additions for no chilling which I have done this time around.

One thing I did notice was that my pump 'punches' a hole in the grain bed. I was wondering if anyone else has come across this problem? I've been eyeing off an empty tuna can that with a bit of dremel work could be used as a 'tophat' to redirect the flow parallel with the base of the malt pipe.

Alex

Hey Tony I thought Omron or schnieder a few years ago where selling a small PLC for about the $300-$400 range with 5 or so I/Os one being temp and network hook up too
buggered if i could remember the number though could something like that be used instead
Im no electrician though and its been years since ive played with this stuff

Edit i think it may have been the Omron Zen "Maybe" :p

Matho, I would assume that you have already thought about this, but what if you had some decent insulation to keep heat loss down?

cheers

Browndog

Hey BD, I have thought about it but I like shiny stuff, I think its more of a program problem than a physical one

Second brewday on the new system yesterday - who would've thought all grain could be this easy!
I have also tasted the results from the first batch - and while good there is certainly room for improvement. I didn't adjust hop additions for no chilling which I have done this time around.

One thing I did notice was that my pump 'punches' a hole in the grain bed. I was wondering if anyone else has come across this problem? I've been eyeing off an empty tuna can that with a bit of dremel work could be used as a 'tophat' to redirect the flow parallel with the base of the malt pipe.

Alex

Alex good to hear its going well, once its sorted the brewday is so easy isn't it, I haven't noticed any holes being punched in my grain bed but i do have fine filter material on the bottom filter which would disperse the flow fairly well.

cheers steve

Like anything i build brew related, its going to take some time, but its starting to take form:

BHBraumiserstart1152x1728.jpg

I dont think i will use the pot, im going to get a SS vessel custom made with a solid 3 or 5mm thick base that wont warp once a few holes get drilled in it. I dont like the looks of the base of this pot..... looks weak.

I have done some thinking about temperature control on this beast. I want the ultimate in flexability and programability, so im thinking of getting an Allen Bradley Micrologix 1100 (has ethernet :)) and a couple expansion modules, one for PT100 inputs, and one for analogue outputs.

Due to the fact that i will be running dual heating elements with one in the malt tube, and one outside the malt tube, im thinking of measuring the temperature in the malt tube and outside seperately, and controling the elements seperately with dual SSR's driven by the PLC.

Code and program wise, the flaxability is endless. I can set up program files for all my different types of beers and mash schedules, and just run the one i want on the day.

Anyway... now to get hold of the PLC and heat elements.

cheers

Nice looking rig there Tony!

I wonder if you could just weld some extra support into the bottom of the pot/base? It looks fairly well constructed otherwise

Mmmm i may just have a go with the pot and see if it works. If it wont seal, i will ditch it.

Mmmm i may just have a go with the pot and see if it works. If it wont seal, i will ditch it.
Hey Tony, I have not read the entire thread, and I am sure it has been mentioned before, but would'nt it be cheaper and easier just to buy a 50 Litre Braumeister?
I sold the 3v and have a BM. I wish I did it years ago. Brew day is a breeze now and I can replicate beers over and over with ease.

Steve

I guess it would but people love to build shit! I am no where near as handy so just bought one!

I certainly wouldn't have thought it was cheaper to buy the BM, especially if you work in an industry that has access to parts....

Guess that's the catch. Cheap access to parts and getting it right the first time so costs stay low

I guess it would but people love to build shit!

Thats me :)

I certainly wouldn't have thought it was cheaper to buy the BM, especially if you work in an industry that has access to parts....

Thats me too :ph34r:

I recon i can do it with a PLC, SSR's all SS parts, March 815, dual elements with 4800W total power for under $1500

2K with plate chiller and custom SS vessel

And it will be made with parts i can repair or replace myself easily and cheaply, I will have dual zone PID temperature control.

And i just like to build shit :p

question for the brau-brewers

#1 when you load the malt pipe what sort of head space is in the pipe when the malt is dry

#2 once "wet" is the malt pipe always "full" exerting pressure on the filters

or do you put pressure on the malt prior to wetting with a screw down / adjustable top filter ?

thanks
Maheel

Mate this thread is more for tight arses who build copies of the origional.

There are a couple other threads more technically inclined somewhere i think

Latest posts

Back